Hondo's Bar

Marvel NOW! - new creative teams

The NZA

oh i bet you did

more infodump! from Dan Slott's twitter:

with Marvel NOW everything that happened yesterday and the year before STILL happened. All of those comics still “count.” The Marvel NOW initiative is about what happens next…

What you’re getting with Marvel NOW is Marvel’s most high profile creators kicking off new, epic runs on Marvel’s biggest characters.

This isn’t a fly-by-night deal. You’re not going to see a creator on a book for four or six issues and then– whoosh– a new creative team gets slapped in. What you’re getting here is a bunch of writers and artists who are committed not just to exploding out of the gate with big, bold new ideas– but to also make those the starts of legendary runs.

That’s Marvel NOW!

also, as AvX finally starts to wind down, some continuity questions:

Marvel.com: Did Avengers Vs. X-Men lead to this new series, or is ALL-NEW X-MEN something that’s been in your head for a long time?

Brian Bendis: Avengers Vs. X-Men led to it. It was an idea that had been floating around the X-Office for a while and I’m still unclear where exactly it percolated. I’m a big fan of these kinds of stories, "Pleasantville" or "Peggy Sue got Married," where a character faces the truth about themselves and what their life can mean versus what it does mean. They’re very interesting stories and the idea of the original X-Men seeing what the X-Men turned into is absolutely fascinating to me. When I first heard about it I was interested, but it never really stuck the landing or came about. I’d asked about it often, as a fan though, but it never found its home.

When we first did the AvX retreat here at my house, we were sitting outside talking after we finished and I said “I guess I should bail off of Avengers when this is done since I’ve been on it longer than anyone’s ever been on it and eventually I’ll have to leave.” Better to leave now than people going “Ugh, leave.” I wanted to make sure I left on a high note and then slowly the idea of everyone leaving their books began to percolate. I don’t want to put too much importance on it, but it created a domino effect where I was leaving Avengers and someone had to take it, so then they’re leaving their book and someone needs to take that, etc. Everyone has this opportunity to start this new part of their career with a strong take on a new book and with that comes Marvel NOW! It’s very exciting, especially to those of us who’ve locked in big gigs early on.

Axel, Tom and everyone were at my house and told me if I was interested I should go to X-Men. I said I’d go if no one is doing the "Days of Future Now" [idea, as it was called back then]. At the time it was only me and Jeph Loeb who were interested in it and Loeb already had other commitments. Before AvX I was already [going to be] the writer of X-Men and it was interesting to write these characters in such dire straits. I knew that no matter how crazy it got during AvX that I’d be handling the fallout, which is always the best part.

indestructible-hulk-1.jpg

In a first interview with CBR, Waid and Yu talked about their plans for the green goliath and his alter ego Bruce Banner, saying it started with Waid "fantasizing about what it would be like to take the core concept a little more "back to center" like we did with Daredevil." That means more superheroics for the strongest there is, but it's also more of a philisophical shift for Bruce Banner, as he takes "a whole new, less "woe is me" view of his condition," continued Waid.

With art by Mike Allred–which in and of itself should tell you the kind of book it’s going to be–FF will follow Ant-Man, who leads Reed Richards’ Future Foundation with the help of She-Hulk, Medusa (of The Inhumans fame) and a new character, Miss Thing, who is literally a woman in a suit or armor that resembles Ben Grimm’s body.

That character promises to be the title’s point-of-view voice, as she’s a relatively normal human shunted into the strange circumstances of the title. According to Fraction, she’s just the “celebutante” Johnny Storm happened to take home the night before the Fantastic Four leaves for a family break.

Insert your own joke about Hank Pym leading an all-female squad here.