Hondo's Bar

Comic Book of the Week

Panch

Read a comic. Like it? Pimp it to your Hondos friends (so they can hate). And yes, Y the last Man is awesome. Stick to stuff folks might not expect. First up:

Extermination_1.jpg

Extermination. I picked this up on a whim and god, am I glad. Arch-enemies have to team-up to survive a world that was lost in an alien invasion. Everyone on Earth thought the battle was in the bag until their Superman equivalent just up and disappeared. The story follows a street level vigilante and his nemesis hilariously though the end of the world. Shit gets real though, and its not just about the laughs. There's a good fucking story here.

I know you want this for relatively unknown shit, and I encourage others to do exactly that. I'm also going to use it to pimp my favorite book out of my pull.

My CBotW goes to Manhattan Projects #5. This book...this fucking book, I love it more every issue.

The basic plot of Manhattan Projects goes like this: the team of covert scientists (some of which aren't/are scarcely human) that created the atomic bomb were also involved in a lot of other shit. Insane, top secret shit, far reaching shit.

This issue revolves around an intergalactic incident.

Alternatively they would both be perfect for THIS thread.

Nope. This thread is about getting in on the ground floor of something new. Yours is about "I've read everything at Barnes & Noble already. What else is there?"

Edited by Panch

gambit2012001_dc11_lr_0001.jpg

Pleasantly surprised by this one. Picked it up out of morbid curiosity, cause, well... Gambit hasn't been cool since the 90's cartoon.

I'd say it was as fun as Daredevil's and Hawkeye's new books. This has Nick written all over it.

• 3 weeks later...

Fuck yeah, that one looked cool.

#1's of Image books were free, so I snagged several I've been curious about. Planetoid among them.

I didn't really realize until I saw them all next to each other, but Image is tearing shit up lately! Pound for pound, they might be the best of the top couple of publishing tiers.

Completely agree. They're pumpin out tons of books and nearly all are winners. Even some of their revisited titles (Prophet, Bloodstrike, Glory) are better than they were in their heyday.

Boom Studios is doing something similar to Image, too. Releasing tons of titles and offering their first issues for a buck. Some aren't too bad.

• 1 month later...

Last week I caught up on New Deadwardians.

It takes place in Great Britain in 1910, in the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse in the 1860's. There were long, costly zombie wars for years, until a cure was developed. That cure was vampirism, which makes one practically invisible to zombies, as well as conveying the traditional vampiric abilities.

It's created a sharp divide in the classes in London. The lower, working class of normal humans (the bright) living in the squaller of Zone B, and the upper class who have had the cure and live out their immortality in the clean, cold area of Zone A (the young).

tXTip.jpg

QHYDx.jpg

The book is essentially a murder mystery, involving a vampire found dead, but not by the usual 3 means. The main character is an inspector coming to grips with the fact that his immortality has left his un-life without passion, and so without meaning.

It's a cool book. Just an 8 issue mini series for now, but it seems to me that the universe has more to offer.

• 1 month later...

So everybody should go snag a copy of Mask #1 from Dynamite. I am shocked to find that Dynamite has been putting out some decent work lately, I've heard pretty good things about their recent revival of The Spider. But I discovered this fucking thing:

Masks01.jpg

Now, I'm a sucker for crossovers. I even checked out Dynamite's big crossover Prophecy (Vampirella, Red Sonja, Kulan Gath, Dracula, Eva, Herbert West The Reanimator, Alan Quatermain, Athena, Dorian Gray, Purgatory, Pantha) It is not good. But fortunately, Masks is!

It's a strong first issue that sets up the pieces fairly well. It puts The Green Hornet (and Kato) and The Shadow together in a way that feels natural and organic, I'm not sure if they introduced The Spider earlier in the book or if he just pops up out of nowhere toward the end like it seemed he did to me as I know nothing about the character. We've very clearly met the man who will be Zorro (I'm not sure how they're going to work that into a 1930s setting, but I'm eager to find out) and they've set up a pretty good "bad guy." Effectively our heroes are having to fight the government of New York state which has effectively put ultra Facism into effect. The whole "the cops are the bad guys, heroes the good" has been done before but seeing as we're dealing with street level vigilantes and a literal full state government it seems so much bigger and more interesting.

Also: the art is fucking amazing, that cover up there is how the art is in the entire book and it looks great. It doesn't have that dead "we are puppets" look that Alex Ross has and it flows nicely. I don't know if the rest of the series will be any good but issue #1 is great and makes me wish that Dynamite also had the rights to The Spirit and The Phantom.

I, too, am a sucker for crossovers, but this got put on my radar because I've been reading Spider (cause I'll read anything with "Spider" in the title. It also has zombies! :D). I picked up Masks, but I haven't read it yet.

I'm such a fan of crossovers that I put Prophecy on Cathy's pull list (I can't read everything). She's enjoying it, but I'll take your word for it.

Having devoured the majority of it yesterday and today, Asterios Polyp (Not a comic, but a graphic novel) is something I can't recommend enough, From what I've read of the guy, he's responsible for Batman Year One, also.

Its a pretty cool concept of a story flashing between past and present and the main character coming to terms with himself as a human.

Also, its won a shitload of awards if I remember right.

(Not a comic, but a graphic novel)

ks12o.gif

Ohhhh son, you just lit a fire.

"Graphic Novel" was a term designed to lend credibility to bound collections of comics. Often, when people hear the word "comic" they think "superheroes". Which is retarded anyway, it's like associating movies with romantic comedies, but it's still an unfortunate truth.

The definition I will tolerate is a reference to the binding: a thick book with a printed glue/sewn binding instead of the pamphlet format stapled monthly comics. I will tolerate it, I used to use the term when I was younger in that regard. A bound collection of Comet the Superhorse is a graphic novel.

BUT how it is more often used is by hipsters/intellectuals who are embarrassed to say that they like comics because of negative connotations, so they will fucking correct you and make me want to slap them. I personally try to avoid the term "graphic novel" all together just so no one gets me confused with these people, and I'm PROUD to say I love comics.

To them, it has little to do with the method of publication and more to do with the subject matter. This...this I will not abide. Comics are great, grand methods of storytelling, and genre/quality has nothing to do with the definition.

Comics are juxtaposed pictorial images in deliberate sequence, intended to convey information and/or an aesthetic response.

So, technically this isn't a comic:

DW3WD.gif

Unfortunately, it also means many Far Side's aren't comics either.

But Astorios Polyp is very much a comic. And a goddamn good one at that. Depending on the format you're reading it in, it may also be a graphic novel, but that never makes something NOT a comic anymore.

It's really cool that you're starting this escapade into comics with several alternative titles. You just read Persepolis, yeah? Christ, that's a good one (and also the most faithful comic-to-film adaptation ever made).

• Upvote 1

I was about to go waste my +1 on a much shittier post of yours. I remember looking up "graphic novel" on wikipedia just to see if there was a discernible difference and found this great quote from neil Gaiman-

Writer Neil Gaiman, responding to a claim that he does not write comic books but graphic novels, said the commenter "meant it as a compliment, I suppose. But all of a sudden I felt like someone who'd been informed that she wasn't actually a hooker; that in fact she was a lady of the evening."