Hondo's Bar

Video Game History

Thelogan

that's crazy...there's (if i recall correctly here) only 4 endings, and you stopped after 3. you were so close to another 10 second poorly animated thing that brought nothing to the series man

for real though, i think if that game was named something else it'dve been fondly remembered for what it tried with the generations thing, medieval art style etc...but following 2, it was so outta left field that 4 bent over backwards to tie it into continuity

This is seriously the first I've heard about there being some kind of disdain for that game. Is it like a secret hipster game club that I missed the boat on? I'm usually on board with secret hipster things.

So what's the beef? There's actually continuity between PS games that people give a shit about and this one is like the Mario 2 of the bunch? And it sucks if it doesn't contribute to this grand overarching theme?

Be honest with me: did you think of this? Like, did you develop this opinion on your own, or are you regurgitating "the right opinion" at me? I blame .gaf. Those guys are a bad influence and I want you to stay away from them.

Anyways...I didn't replay it for the ending either, they're different characters and plots man! Nials has totally different colored hair.

man this - assuming you'd played the series proper, like a real gamer *presents cred etc* - is the typa shit you come online and find a buncha people agreeing with you on, not like reading essays on level design in mario 3 vs SMW and coming to some conclusion (i still can't decide).

Phantasy Star 1 was a brilliant dungeon crawler: some medieval, some cyberpunky (enough to stand out, not enough to nod to star wars or some shit). plot-wise, it was dark (right from the intro!), and it was hard as fuck.

2 was brilliant: picked the story back up like a millienia later, but with strong ties/nods and such. it got even darker too, and arguably harder, hence gun's recommendation. honestly, it was my first real JRPG, and so very many after were easier, and way softer in comparison.

in comes 3, and i'd waited for years. i had clippings from EGM & anything we could see, even paid for the hint guide the day it came out...you had to mail shit in for it, and it literally took months to arrive. anyway, the game itself:

1) ditched all that continuity, not just characters/lore but the world itself

2) dramatic change in art style/music

3) took a huge step back in battle animations - that may not sound important till you figure you spend like 75% of 60+ hours looking at that shit

4) stupid-easy in comparsion

again it's not so bad on its own, it just kinda dropped everything you dug about the series before. thank fuck 4 showed up, acknowledged its existence & then went back to the story proper, working to tie it all up. it's honestly one of the best send-offs a sequential JRPG series has seen, in my book - so much so that i kinda dont wanna see a 5 fuck it up.

TL;DR i don't know that ive ever talked about PS on or offline and had someone not say 3 kinda fell off, it's almost universal. with mario 2 and say zelda 2, there's weirdos that prefer those ones, ive yet to meet that guy for PS 3

NZA uses FACTS on loggins!

...it's super effective!!

heh. bear in mind though:

PS 2 - 1990

PS 3 - 1991

PS 4 - 1994

PS IV is to this day the most expensive game ive ever bought new, but that's a lotta time to save up man.

bindy - yeah PSO is still my only real MMO i sank into, cant wait to see how 2 goes this year. honestly, i hate saying this since you just bought me 4 on steam, but you really gotta play that man...hey ill be right back

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In 1983, some suits realized that there was a lot of money in video games, and there was a void there that needed to be filled.

Thing is, they had no fucking idea how to do that. Enter: BLIP™ - The Videogame Magazine by Marvel Comics.

ogAhlF2.jpg

OH SHIT! It's Mathew Laborteaux! I recognize him from Little House on the Prairie! And look, he enjoys videogames as well. Thank god, otherwise he would be really bummed that he's now resigned to roles like "Adult Male 1" in Thrillville: Off the Rails.

PFCuFkJ.jpg

That's quite a candid shot they got of Bruce Boxleitner for their exclusive, in depth interview. And David Wallace is so good at Zaxxon he doesn't even need to see it.

I also detect a bit of hyperbole here, Dave. Do you really lose yourself in fantasy with this?

Okay, that actually looks pretty badass for 1982. Nevermind.

31q6Lzb.jpg

Nothing there is a "tip". They're just giving you the pointless backstory pulled from the back of the box and explaining what the game is. "As the game goes on, enemy missiles appear at a faster and faster rate. That makes it more and more difficult"

Their sole piece of advice consists of "the game gets harder as you play it"

gAMLpj5.gif

Now I'm off to conquer those high scores!

iWGaZg0.jpg

Hey! Recognize that fella? There may be a little snow on the roof and a lot less self respect in terms of personal dress, but mustaches are eternal. Even when buried under an undesirable beard.

lJQXXVz.jpg

It's that guy from King of Kong that probably had Billy Mitchell's dick inside his face at some point. I guess this was that moment in time that put Ottumwa, Iowa on the map.

zlAEhMz.jpg

PLnPelJ.jpg

Industry news! BLIP™ truly did have it all. The Arcadia-2001 is the kind of thing you get a little pissed at your grandma for getting you, but have to choke down your disappointment and thank her anyway. What a piece of dogshit.

One of the selling points for the Arcadia-2001 was that it used a 12 volt power supply, so it was portable. You could game on the go! Of course, that also meant you had to have a portable TV. Do you know how much a portable TV cost in 1983? Me neither, but if you had one of those you certainly wouldn't wanna pinch pennies on this thing when there's a perfectly fine Collecovision on the shelf next to it.

oCaP9nK.jpg

Jesus Christ, Gary. Can you find a piece of reference before you try to draw an arcade game in a magazine for people who like arcade games?

rBJ3lWf.jpg

You paying attention, EA? People think calling you up and paying a small fee every time we want to play our game doesn't sound like such a bad idea.

THE FUTURE!

Of course the best part of BLIP™ is familiar to anyone who read comics in the 80's: the ads.

h0bwogP.jpg

Jack Davis earned his check on that one.

uYpT5fj.jpg

Who? Who is saying that? Insidious lies.

BLIP™ lasted 7 issues. Only one of the covers had Spider-Man on it.

Z9HE4PS.jpg

qEAoqDU.jpg

Is that Tootsie? WAS THERE A TOOTSIE VIDEOGAME?!? Why wasn't I informed?

My Googling leads me to believe that there was not, but it could have been buried out in the desert with E.T. and wiped from the collective consciousness.

Not entirely unlike BLIP™ itself.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...