Hondo's Bar

Playstation 4

gunsmithx

Taken from gaf.

The guys at Gaming Everything have compiled a crap ton of infos from GDC from IGN's Gregg.

Link

Info:

• Targeted to be the “central device in the living room”
  • “Core gamers are our primary audience
  • PS4 build around them, salable to the outsiders
  • 5 core PS4 principles: Simple, Immediate, Social, Integrated, Personalized
  • PS4 CPU: 64-bit x86 arch, low power consumption, low heat, 8 cores, 8 HW threads, 2MiB L2 cache per 4 core group, 32kib l1 I/D-cache
  • PlayStation Shader Language, very similar to HLSL, allows featured BEYOND Direct X 11 and OpenGL 4.0
  • “GPU – Tessellation – adding geometric detail to smooth edges or create more organic shapes”
  • PS4 RAM – 8GB 256 bit GDDR5 (GDDR5 is very high end graphics memory only found on PC graphics cards)
  • Will come with “very large hard drive in every console”
  • PS4 Dev Environment – Windows 7 64-bit, tools are fully integrated into Visual Studio 2010 and 2012
  • “Debug your PS4 code as you would your PC code”
  • PS4 Controller: Start/Select buttons are now “Options.” New System button is “Share.”
  • Speaker, headset jack and “extension port” on the PS4 controller
  • PS4 controller buttons are going back to digital over analog because no one used it on PS3
  • PS4 controller L2/R2 – Curved design to get rid of the accidental netflix fast forwarding
  • PS4 controller: 1920×900 resolution on the analog touchpad
  • PS4 controller colors are the Player Numbers: 1-Blue, 2-Red, 3-Green, 4-Pink (Like the buttons)
  • PS4 will charge controllers when it’s off. Unlike the PS3.
  • PS4 controller light bar can be used for muzzle flashes, health bars, etc
  • “The #PS4 Eye will enhance the PS4 user experience.” High sensitivity dual color cameras
  • 1280×800, 12 bits/pixel, 60Hz
  • Dedicated port for the #PS4 camera, exclusive SCE Connector. Means it won’t use a USB port on the console, but won’t plug into your PC.
  • Cam suggested uses: walkthrough vids, taunting in killcam, login, speech recognition, etc; possible PS4 Camera Magic – Sees the controller, you guys move, splitscreen moves to be on the right side
  • The above is what devs could do (not mandatory)
  • Video example shown of PS4 combining the camera and the controller. “AR Menu”
  • Zoom into the controller, tilt to shake little dudes inside, push into our world like EyePet
  • 2004: XMB, 2011: LiveArea, 2013: New #PS4 one based on the five principles from earlier
  • UI is meant to give you at a glance info without loading the game. See what new DLC is out and whatnot. What friends are saying.
  • Have to enable people seeing your real name on the #PS4. Auto-enabled if you import from another social network. (Can be turned off)
  • PSN friend limit raised
  • PS4 Mock-up: Heavy Rain choice with the number of your friends that chose each option.
  • All the PS4 streaming and sharing: that’s on the hardware. Devs don’t have to do anything special to their game.
  • PS4 Remote Play: Screens are mirrored on PS4/Vita (Both on at same time). Hardware does it/not on devs. Start at any time; no special mode.
  • Talking about the PlayStation App. Login, buy game, PS4 starts downloading at home, you get home and start playing the part that’s DWLD.
  • Force feedback has two (1 small, 1 big) analog motors, as opposed to the digital ones in PS3. Allows for "more precise, cool effects."
  • Removing "analog" face buttons and going with digital will "cut latency way down" for the new controller.
  • The system will stream 32Khz sound up to 2 controllers, and 16Khz for 3 or more players.

I keep reading these articles on nvidia and how they turned down console involvement this gen...

And the CEO made a good pt:

When I think about it every generation, consoles set the standard for hardware performance. Ps4 does not hit that mark.

But in their defense Sony did this w ps3 n realized no one was gonna pay $1000 for a console, hence the delays.

My only question is if the gaming industry is suffering, why not cut back on manufacturing/distribution(but not too much giving "justification" for piracy)? This would def create higher demand.. Without having to raise prices.

1) you don't think PC games going forward will be spec'd around the PS4, or the rumored-to-be-lower specs on xbox?

2) maybe i'm misunderstanding, but you're saying if the industry's hurting, manufacture fewer games, or fewer copies of them? because all 3 have been pushing digital, at various paces.

You gotta realize Iceman, these are all launch titles. Go back and look at Resistance 1. It looks terrible by today's standards (ok not terrible, but very much noticeably worse.)

I thought they all looked pretty amazing in the end, so I can't wait to see what the games will look like a year or 2 into the system's life cycle.

I loved Resistance One. Sure, I didn't have much in the way of staying power, but the guns... my god, the guns were fantastic.

And then Resistance Two Happened.

And then Resistance Three fixed the gunplay but had a shit story that went nowhere and did nothing.

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

1) you don't think PC games going forward will be spec'd around the PS4, or the rumored-to-be-lower specs on xbox?

2) maybe i'm misunderstanding, but you're saying if the industry's hurting, manufacture fewer games, or fewer copies of them? because all 3 have been pushing digital, at various paces.

1. If a 1.sumthin ghz 8core CPU (AMD/radeon no less) can push purdy graphics like that, imagine an already domesticated 2ghz+

2.i definitely mean "copies of".. I think digital sales are only going to hurt the industry. Collectors value will hit 0 for new games meaning collectors that buy 2 n 3 copies wont have a market. and the demand for newly released games will def plateau at least.

And to axels pt .... Yea I understand the whole dev evolution thing.. But what I'm getting at here is systems like Saturn/psx set the standard for graphics power when they first came out n n64 hands down destroyed the bench mark... Then dreamcast.. Then ps2...

Edited by IceManML

i think you're remembering where high/bleeding edge PC specs were rather selectively there, man.

1) kids these days use terraflops instead of megabits, but most tech talk i come across points to the importance of GPU as much higher than raw processor speed...if the latter was the biggest factor, why didn't PS3 often look way better than 360? the cell was far more capable...but got bottlenecked by a shit paired graphics card, and weaker RAM. i wouldn't underestimate what we've got out of the PS4, it's mid to high tier with a lotta room for growth on the memory end, and again, i realistically do not at all expect the nextbox to be higher given on board kinect and all

2) i really think hinging sales on the niche of collectors who buy multiple copies (usually to keep one or more sealed) is a weird ass argument to make man, and they really gotta pump out lots of copies (not expensive when mass producing/shipping anyway) because with maybe the exception of nintendo first party stuff, most games don't have legs - meaning sales are crazy front-loaded, its not as bad as japan but i usually read the vast majority of sales are opening week or so; if you undership, you lose sales to the used market.

software sales are down across the board no doubt, but you gotta wonder how much of that is people waiting to see what's next, at the tail end of a very long gen.

• 1 month later...

http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/30/so...is-for-gamers/

Sony CEO plays down ‘media hub’ and says PlayStation 4 is for gamers

Sony chief executive Kazuo Hirai said today that the PlayStation 4 will differ from Microsoft’s Xbox One, which is being pitched as an all-in-one entertainment box in the living room.

“I fundamentally believe that the initial market that we need to make sure we appeal to with any new platform … is really the gaming audience,” Hirai said. “They will be the supporters of your platform and they will help propel the installed base.”

He spoke at the D11 conference hosted by AllThingsD. He was joined by Jed York, the chief executive and owner of the San Francisco 49ers, and they talked about the fan experience Sony is helping to create for the 49ers’ new high-tech stadium in Santa Clara. He made the remarks in response to a question from moderator Walt Mossberg of the Wall Street Journal.

Hirai acknowledged the PS4 will have non-game applications. But Sony will not emphasize those at the outset as it did with the launch of the PlayStation 3 game console in 2006. The PS4 is coming out this fall.

He said Sony would add other entertainment apps, “But that’s after we establish the platform as a video game platform. We want to make sure that we are there for the gamers with our PS4 as well. They will go beyond this, but they’ll definitely start with gamer first.

He concluded, “For us, it’s all about the gamers.”

By contrast, Microsoft’s Xbox One unveiling had lots of apps that have nothing to do with games, from using voice commands to change TV channels to using Skype while watching shows.

Remote play" is so unnecessary. I'm guessing this is sonys "take" after supposedly "giving" devs what they asked for.

I hate when these folks try to be like the competition instead of giving a unique experience. Nintendo could totally capitalize on this.

As for the hate on the xbone focusing on tv/media... This is the next step for consoles. Otherwise there just isn't going to be a purpose for consoles in 10years. They won't even make consoles backwards compatible. I can't even play old digitals on new gen... This totally negates the theory that digital distribution is the future.

Edited by IceManML

Remote play is unnecessary for people who don't own that mobile device, yeah, but I have to say that that recent news up there gives me an incentive to get a vita.

Doesn't Monster Hunter 3 on the 3DS/WU do something similar? I think you need to own both versions of the game though. Fill me in Mal, I dunno how that worked there. I know they had some sort of crossplay going on.

Remote play is unnecessary for people who don't own that mobile device, yeah, but I have to say that that recent news up there gives me an incentive to get a vita.

Doesn't Monster Hunter 3 on the 3DS/WU do something similar? I think you need to own both versions of the game though. Fill me in Mal, I dunno how that worked there. I know they had some sort of crossplay going on.

MH3U lets someone on the WiiU play (locally) with people playing on 3DS. You need a WiiU copy and a 3DS copy.

Remote play" is so unnecessary. I'm guessing this is sonys "take" after supposedly "giving" devs what they asked for.

I hate when these folks try to be like the competition instead of giving a unique experience. Nintendo could totally capitalize on this.

Remote play 1-ups the WiiU by allowing you to play on the Vita anywhere you have an internet connection. Regardless, Remote plays been available with PS3/Vita since before the WiiU was even out, so it's not really fair to say Sony's just emulating the competition.

• Upvote 1