Hondo's Bar

Playstation 4

gunsmithx

Just finished watching and I'm pleased with what I'm seeing, they have pretty much implied that there won't be any direct (insert the disk) backwards compatibility but full access to games via cloud gaming similar to onlive but with faster tech. Overall I'm pleased with what I saw, especially the release being this christmas.

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a460015/ps4-reveal-video-stream-live-blog-from-ps-meeting-2013.html

PlayStation 4 confirmed as the console's name, PS4 logo displayed.

Traditionally game consoles were a single purpose device for playing games. When the PS3 launched things were starting to change, but the console wasn't designed for it.

Key PS4 concepts were not letting anything get between players and the game, simpler architecture and make developers happy.

"Supercharged" PC architecture with 8GB of RAM.

Showing the DualShock 4 controller. It looks familiar, but it is slighly modified from the leaked images.

Controller has a touch pad, share button, and light bar that acts like a PlayStation Move. There is a new Light Bar accessory that tracks the controller.

As to the controller's share button, players can instantly upload videos, scrolling through the last few minutes of gameplay. The video will upload in the background while you play.

PS4 will keep the existing usernames and avatars, but will also integrate with other social networks for using your real name on the system.

PlayStation Network and PS4 will be integrated with Gaikai. "What we're making is the fastest, most powerful network for gaming."

Gaikai cloud streaming will let users try games instantly from the PlayStation Store before buying them.

Blizzard is bringing Diablo 3 to PlayStation 4.

They never actually showed the console, just the controller and a new PlayStation Eye-like accessory that uses two cameras.

PS4 will release during the 2013 holiday season, but no price yet.

TL;DR - No, axels, they didn't. But Gaikai streaming could, theoretically, make the entire previous Playstation library available without emulation via streaming.

Nothing about used, BC nixed.

Gaikai shit was awesome - all games demoable through streaming, instantly. Games you're downloading can be played instantly while the rest of the data downloads in the background.

System stores current state in RAM and then shuts down so resuming game is swift.

Dual camera included with all systems.

Ability to share video, stream current sessions, and surrender control to a PSN friend when you can't fucking hack it.

456676_519419784763378_257039095_o.jpg

856209_519419758096714_1595789307_o.jpg

242639_519419854763371_1436321479_o.jpg

In addition, DUALSHOCK®4 will come with a built-in speaker and stereo headset jack, enabling PS4 users to enjoy high-fidelity sound effects of games from both the TV and also from the controller. Combined with the Mono Headset that will be bundled with PS4, gamers will also be able to chat with friends playing online, while hearing sound effects from the controller in hand.
Edited by Newtype

ibkLh2II7UZlqe.gif

wish i was as hyped as some of you about cloud gaming BC - it's not gonna support all your games fresh out of the box, and licensed stuff that lapses won't be at all. that's before you consider lag/latency issues, how much of this service is behind a paywall, etc. i'm not excited personally, really would've paid to have a fully BC model, however unrealistic.

and no, "keep your PS3" is a shit answer.

it was cool seeing some gameplay videos, and 8 GB of DDR5 is quite beastly...if they manage a $400 price tag for at least one model, i wonder how much production will cost? some big titles shown, not much spoke to me personally (Beyond is cool, does anyone care about Diablo 3 at this point?), square kinda left some blue balls there with "A FINAL FANTASY IS COMING, THANK YOU." though, haha

i missed the first game they showed, gotta go back & check that out. wasnt Destiny supposed to be a Durango exclusive for a bit? also GAF was on about where were EA & Take 2, but there's plenty of time between here & E3.

NZA: Terribad at games.

i have 3 plats in 2013 so far, you have like -2

also, gakai answer for PSN purchases is prolly gonna be priority, to keep people in their ecosystem. i guess we'll see how it goes.

Infamous video was alright, Killzone was the best of the bunch next to Deep Down (that capcom one). i still don't know what Media Molecule were doing.