Hondo's Bar

Hayao Miyazaki retires from film-making

The NZA

source

Studio Ghibli just announced that Hayao Miyazaki has officially retired from directing feature films. His latest movie Kaze Tachinu will be his final film. It seems like he's still going to continue on at Ghibli, so he'll probably be directing more shorts, supervising stuff, and maybe doing scripts, but he will not be doing another full length feature film again. End of an era.

1321258978_1321022118_untitled-5.jpg

38848-The-Feels-gif-UHzu.gif

what have you actually watched? his films have narrative, and often go on journeys of character development, with equal parts heartwarming moments and antagonistic opposition. we're not talking about Kurosawa's dreams here.

i wanted to make a riddlin joke here but you've already stopped reading

• Kiki's Delivery Service
  • Howl's Moving Castle
  • Spirited Away

The only exempt one I've seen was Princess Mononoke. I can watch that back to front anytime. Rest of the movies had concepts I didn't care about, like Japanese Little Mermaid, or what if a WWI pilot was a pig.

But seriously, I get bored. Spirited Away especially just drags.

Edited by Maldron
  • Downvote 2

his most iconic stuff is probably My Neighbor Totoro, prolly see where people give him japanese disney vibes from that.

most over here caught onto him with Princess Mononoke, but Spirited Away is still hands-down my favorite. having gone back over his older works in recent times, Nausica: Valley of the Wind has some mononoke parallels but man was that one good. i guess it depends on who you ask, but ironically, i loved every moment of Spirited Away.

I also really like Laputa: Valley of the Wind, but your best bet is either Princess Mononoke or Spirited Away. If you want something with a very Alice in Wonderland vibe, go with Spirited Away. Princess Mononoke is better if you want something with a more epic feel, like...a cross between Braveheart and Lord of the Rings, for lack of a better way of explaining it. Totoro is great, but it might give Eamonn a false impression regarding how kiddy his films are. It is his most youth-friendly movie.

I love his films and I can share them with the various children that have come through my life, which just seems to to extend their lifespan. That being said, I can understand Maldron's sentiment. They are a bit overly long. If you're not caught up in the wonderment then it would be easy to lose interest.

My fave: Spirited Away.

I did not like Princess Mononoke. Perhaps because I watched the dubbed version. I thought the dialog was dumb.

• 3 years later...

apparently not retired; working on a new movie too

In the NHK television special Owaranai Hito Miyazaki Hayao (The Man Who Is Not Done: Hayao Miyazaki) on Sunday, acclaimed anime director Hayao Miyazaki reported that he wants to return to making an anime feature film, after retiring from directing feature films three years ago. He has been working "Kemushi no Boro" (Boro the Caterpillar), a planned CG short for the Ghibli Museum.

However, the special revealed that Miyazaki was not satisfied with the CG project as a short, and he presented a project proposal for a feature-length film this past August. He also noted that if a feature would take him five years to make, he would be 80 years old at the end. In the schedule listed in his proposal, Miyazaki suggested that the film could be done by 2019, before the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo. Ghibli producer Toshio Suzuki commented that Miyazaki will draw storyboards until he dies, and another staffer dryly noted that this would make the movie a huge hit.

Despite not officially receiving a green-light for the feature film, Miyazaki decided to start animation work on the project anyway. He plans on creating storyboards for about 100 cuts of footage.