Hondo's Bar

Ant Man

Ant Man looks fun. Paul Rudd is in it for fucks sake! I hope they don't turn him into a wife-beater though. PAUL RUDD IS SPECIAL AND WOULDN'T HURT A FLY.

Even the Thor movies?

Thor 1 was fun but forgettable and Thor 2 was pretty good. Despite wanting to murder Kat Dennings character for being spectacularly irritating.

On a side note: after repeat viewings I've also come to terms with the fact that Iron Man 2 & 3 were kind of shit.

EDIT: I said 1 & 2 by mistake. 1 was fucking great.

Edited by crimsonfire

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

smp-ant-man_0.jpg?itok=BJdCYMGX

Entertainment Weekly has revealed the above still which pits a tint Ant-Man against Yellowjacket in what looks like one of the most unique comic book movie battles to ever grace the big screen. However, it looks like a bit of an unfair fight, right? "Hank Pym’s Ant-Man suit doesn’t have a single weapon," reveals director Peyton Reed, "whereas Yellowjacket is armed with plasma cannons." Oh, so Scott Lang is definitely done for then? Not exactly. "Ant-Man is very fast when he’s small. Also, when he shrinks, he increases his density, so he’s got increased strength." To get this fight scene right, both Paul Rudd and Corey Stoll had to wear motion capture suits and were shot separately, a huge departure for the former. "It was a new experience as far as the motion-capture-suit-ness of it. But none of it feels that different. Every part, I’m pretending to be somebody I’m not. It’s all just a big lie!"
Edited by alive she cried

Thor vs X-Men? I don't know, it's close. Both have major flaws, but also have two of the best on screen Marvel characters in Wolverine and Loki. I think Thor's awful non Asgardian characters (except for Selvig) just swings it for me.

Actually, just thinking of it now, I would definitely look forward to rewatching X-Men over Thor so I suppose it's not that close after all.

Whedon talks a bit about Edgar Wright's departure. Still no reason why.

"I thought the script was not only the best script that Marvel had ever had, but the most Marvel script I’d read," said Whedon. "I had no interest in Ant-Man. [Then] I read the script, and was like, Of course! This is so good! It reminded me of the books when I read them. Irreverent and funny and could make what was small large, and vice versa. I don’t know where things went wrong. But I was very sad. Because I thought, This is a no-brainer. This is Marvel getting it exactly right. Whatever dissonance that came, whatever it was, I don’t understand why it was bigger than a marriage that seemed so right. But I’m not going to say it was definitely all Marvel, or Edgar’s gone mad! I felt like they would complement each other by the ways that they were different. And, uh, somethin’ happened.”

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, like you said why isn't Marvel commissioning its OWN EMPLOYEES to draw these things!?

When I'm right, I'm right. It happens once in a blue moon.

And since we're on the subject of poster art, I'll digress a bit from Ant-Man here. I think MARVEL missed an opportunity in the Phase II films with their posters. I can't really fault them at all for a lack of style or continuity in the Phase I films because the whole MCU thing was covering new ground. However, once Phase II rolled around they had an obvious game plan for the future and at that point poster and promo artwork could've, nay, should've played a key roll in that. Drew Struzman's artwork is inextricably linked to Lucasfilms and two of the biggest film franchises in history with Indiana Jones and Star Wars. I'm not saying Marvel Studios should've gotten Struzan (Although, I wouldn't object to that.) or even a singular artist, but there should've at least been a cohesion stylistically to those posters and that style really should've consisted of artwork and not mediocre to bad photoshops.