Hondo's Bar

Ant Man

LOL - NO! I got the ultimate facepalm!

I liked the scaled-down nature, too. Nice change of pace. I LOVED the beginning, the young Pym talking w/ Carter - the design of Scott's boss at the ice cream place was awesome - I was really excited at that point. I think where I started resting my head on my hand was when the three stooges were introduced. Who was that for? Did they have to be living stereotypes? Who found that charming? It was cringe worthy for me.

As soon as dude agreed to accept the suit, he felt invincible to me. I felt there was nothing he could not do. Nothing he did or set out to do had any tension or felt challenging. He really felt invincible. Not bad, but I was just watching things happen.

The movie just felt thin. Weak. Didn't need to be some huge, save-the-world epic - but something more than simply, "I need someone to wear my suit so I can blow up a building." I mean, that's the entire movie, isn't it? Great premise to start with, but I felt like it had the potential to go further. Didn't need to be some country-hopping adventure, but it felt like some twists and turns, something interesting happening couldn't have hurt. Such a simple plot and story. Don't think, just watch - enjoy. M'eh. Not horrible, just disappointing.

Just got back from seeing Ant-Man in 3D! FULL. HOUSE. The theater was FULL! Anyway -

I caught a commercial yesterday where Ant-Man was talking to Falcon. That was the commercial! SPOILER! I've been avoiding reviews, any info - then I see that commercial. I had to watch it before anymore was ruined. Planned on waiting till audience attendance dropped.

I expected more. I wanted more.

I hated the three-stooges / thieves. The dude from the Dark Knight was distracting! That's the psycho from Dark Knight! I'm hispanic - and that hispanic guy embarrassed me.

Aside from introducing Pym Particles, I didn't feel like it really expanded the mythology / cinematic universe. I loved the beginning, w/ an aged Agent Carter and Senior Stark - but it fell off for me after that. I wanted more of that established universe! It seriously lacked Marvel-ness.

As soon as the plot was introduced, (destroy the bad building) there wasn't a moment that I felt that they couldn't / wouldn't. There wasn't an 'uphill-battle' moment in the entire film, no sense of struggle.

What was weird was the entire theater was laughing at the stupidest, corniest jokes / moments. I didn't laugh once. Felt like Chris Pratt did a dub for this movie. I seriously had moments where I swear I was listening to Chris Pratt.

The costume was AWESOME!!! The special effects were cool. I have every Marvel movie on Bluray ('cept Winter Soldier, waiting for that price drop) - I'll get this on Bluray, but damn, it was weak.

Now I'm gonna actually read this topic, check out some reviews and see if I'm in the minority.

I think it's interesting that, being Hispanic, you didn't like Michael Pena's character!

I'm also Hispanic and I think that's the reason I loved him. It may have been obviously pandering to Latinos, but I enjoyed that his little stories started with him at a wine tasting and then an art gallery. I get so tired of seeing my people as brainless criminals. Sure he's a thief, but he also enjoys rosé wine and post-cubist art. I got a kick out of that.

I also loved his positive spirit. Him being so happy about getting the van after telling Scott he lost his whole family was one of my favorite lines in the movie. smile.png

But I do agree with you 100% about there being no sense of a struggle. The "becoming Ant Man" stuff took so long that I forgot what they were fighting against for most of the movie.

Yeah - the whole theater loved him! They laughed whenever he said anything! I thought it was so weird.

As soon as those 3 thieves started talking - I was like, "Oh. It's gonna be that kinda movie..." The hispanic's character was a good one, y'know - the contrast of high-class taste against his choice of lifestyle. Becoming a good guy at the end. It's not a bad character. I just felt like they could have made the thieves fun and interesting in a more thought-out way and not just make them obvious cartoon characters. I mean, I get it, I'm not like, seriously offended - but it felt like the wrong kind of franchise for character choices like that. It took it down a notch for me. Again, the whole theater was tickled by them. Whateva - I'm obviously the odd one out on that one.

YES! Personally, I was more interested in Hank Pym's / old Ant-Man's backstory than anything happening in the entire movie! I wanted to know more about his involvement w/ SHIELD and Stark back in the day! Who he was, what it was like to discover the Pym Particle, what kind of adventures did he go on back in the day? I was more interested in understanding those things about his character than the film's focus on training a guy to blow a building up. The potential for some seriously interesting stuff was there. The movie felt like it needed more time to cook.

LOL - aaaand here come the facepalms! LOL

Edited by Little Nemo McFly

Yeah - the whole theater loved him! They laughed whenever he said anything! I thought it was so weird.

As soon as those 3 thieves started talking - I was like, "Oh. It's gonna be that kinda movie..." The hispanic's character was a good one, y'know - the contrast of high-class taste against his choice of lifestyle. Becoming a good guy at the end. It's not a bad character. I just felt like they could have made the thieves fun and interesting in a more thought-out way and not just make them obvious cartoon characters. I mean, I get it, I'm not like, seriously offended - but it felt like the wrong kind of franchise for character choices like that. It took it down a notch for me. Again, the whole theater was tickled by them. Whateva - I'm obviously the odd one out on that one.

YES! Personally, I was more interested in Hank Pym's / old Ant-Man's backstory than anything happening in the entire movie! I wanted to know more about his involvement w/ SHIELD and Stark back in the day! Who he was, what it was like to discover the Pym Particle, what kind of adventures did he go on back in the day? I was more interested in understanding those things about his character than the film's focus on training a guy to blow a building up. The potential for some seriously interesting stuff was there. The movie felt like it needed more time to cook.

LOL - aaaand here come the facepalms! LOL

Agreed, I'd love to see more Early SHIELD Post WWII Era Pym adventures, either on the big screen or possibly in Agent Carter. However, I disagree with you on this film not adding to the "bigger" MCU...

I think Pym particles and the Quantum Realm are going to play a key part in the Infinity/MCU Phase 3 films and possibly defeating Thanos in the films.

• 2 months later...

Ant-Man 2 Announced (Ant Man and the Wasp), Phase 3 dates shift

Following our hero’s debut adventure in this summer’s “Ant-Man,” Scott Lang will return alongside Hope Van Dyne on July 6, 2018 with Marvel’s “Ant-Man and the Wasp.” The sequel will mark the first Marvel Studios film named after its heroine.

Additionally, Ant-Man’s second adventure will lead to a couple of other films shifting their dates, with Marvel’s “Black Panther” moving up to February 16, 2018 and Marvel’s “Captain Marvel” landing on March 8, 2019.

Finally, three untitled Marvel Studios films will premiere on May 1, 2020, July 10, 2020, and November 6, 2020.

More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/news/movies/25244/...#ixzz3nzVyh3EN

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...