Hondo's Bar

Ant Man

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Pretty goddamn fantastic you guys. About as out there as Guardians was, and the action was unlike any of the movies done yet. I think Michael Pena stole his scenes, but really the entire cast was great. There's a lot to say about it, but really just see it.

Spider-Man does indeed get a reference

tumblr_mjlpndyCHf1rrdmqzo1_500.gif

i enjoyed it

Falcon guest appearance was so great, too - really do love that casting call. Rudd's charisma carried this in the way i wish Reynolds would've for GL. also weird getting excited for Wasp, usually can't stand Jan but new chick might be fun:

t9nbl1x.jpg

concept art:

11760187_118583588481107_4266321714585044705_n.jpg?oh=d679abe74786499273dbc192f8a42bcb&oe=560E0EB0

11540936_118583571814442_786909687807359310_n.jpg?oh=140774e3256b91b8ec0c4732714ce5e1&oe=561D568A

...i enjoyed it

Falcon guest appearance was so great, too - really do love that casting call. Rudd's charisma carried this in the way i wish Reynolds would've for GL. also weird getting excited for Wasp, usually can't stand Jan but new chick might be fun:

t9nbl1x.jpg

concept art:

11760187_118583588481107_4266321714585044705_n.jpg?oh=d679abe74786499273dbc192f8a42bcb&oe=560E0EB0

11540936_118583571814442_786909687807359310_n.jpg?oh=140774e3256b91b8ec0c4732714ce5e1&oe=561D568A

Ditto. There were some problems but it was enjoyable. Saw it in 3D and it was worth it with those insect scenes.

Roger Sterling Stark always brings a smile to my face.

And I was never a big Wasp fan, so I'm not sure why the Wasp flashback Pym gives near the end of the film brought such a huge fanboy grin to my face, but it did. Ditto for that "new" costume for Hope.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from seeing Ant-Man in 3D! FULL. HOUSE. The theater was FULL! Anyway -

I caught a commercial yesterday where Ant-Man was talking to Falcon. That was the commercial! SPOILER! I've been avoiding reviews, any info - then I see that commercial. I had to watch it before anymore was ruined. Planned on waiting till audience attendance dropped.

I expected more. I wanted more.

I hated the three-stooges / thieves. The dude from the Dark Knight was distracting! That's the psycho from Dark Knight! I'm hispanic - and that hispanic guy embarrassed me.

Aside from introducing Pym Particles, I didn't feel like it really expanded the mythology / cinematic universe. I loved the beginning, w/ an aged Agent Carter and Senior Stark - but it fell off for me after that. I wanted more of that established universe! It seriously lacked Marvel-ness.

As soon as the plot was introduced, (destroy the bad building) there wasn't a moment that I felt that they couldn't / wouldn't. There wasn't an 'uphill-battle' moment in the entire film, no sense of struggle.

What was weird was the entire theater was laughing at the stupidest, corniest jokes / moments. I didn't laugh once. Felt like Chris Pratt did a dub for this movie. I seriously had moments where I swear I was listening to Chris Pratt.

The costume was AWESOME!!! The special effects were cool. I have every Marvel movie on Bluray ('cept Winter Soldier, waiting for that price drop) - I'll get this on Bluray, but damn, it was weak.

Now I'm gonna actually read this topic, check out some reviews and see if I'm in the minority.

Yeah, I think you're in the minority here Nemo. I actually loved that this wasn't another huge scale, save the world, by the numbers Marvel movie. First and foremost this was a movie about two men and the love they had for their daughters, I liked that change of perspective. Like Guardians of The Galaxy, it was for me another breath of fresh air.

Yeah, I too liked the scaled down nature, the movie has some big plot flaws but I'll chalk that up to it being the patchwork monstrosity that it is.

I could totally see being offended by Lang's trio of lovable idiot thieves, though Russian hacker guy didn't bother me based on past roles (I mean come on, Dark Knight had Batmanuel in it as the mayor) but I did appreciate that Michael Pena's character wasn't dumb, just flightly.

In the context of the Marvel movie universe, I think Antman was a good fit by not being a good fit. In that it needed to be about less Earth shattering stuff. Considering that we just got cities falling out of the skies earlier, it's a good call.

I do agree with you in the inevitability of the plot a bit, since I wanted to see a twist of sorts to make us feel like the good guys had been thrown so far off track that things were blown and only a new plan would save the day. (Consider for instance the way the end of Terminator 2 comes about despite the good guys having a plan to do something else. etc) There's some of that with the villain revealing he knew their plan all along and foiling them etc. But they didn't seem to get set back in any severe way.

But that final fight scene in Antman was great. It felt Superhero-ey and the size gags within the fight scene (train on the window etc) were fun and made it feel fresh.

Edited by Jumbie

agreed on the scope as refreshing vs existential crisis - this is exactly why i find the street-level stuff going to netflix as being hands-down my favorite stuff, just has a bigger impact for me, just like in the books.

the mix with comedy was clearly welcome for many (and had wright's pawprints all over it), and to make an another aside, kinda highlights my concern with the perceived direction DC is taking their movies in.