Hondo's Bar

Fant4stic

Keth

Axels, yeah that list is kinda depressing. Lost potential. I am wondering if Fox Studios will go ahead and release a director's cut on DVD? Seems like it couldn't hurt given the reviews and box office. I am definitely interested to see what Trank originally envisioned and if it indeed could've improved the film.

Hey, Mr. Hakujin - congrats on appearing in a major motion picture!!! And it was a comic book movie! That's SO damn COOL!!!

Thank you! That's exactly how I am looking at it. :)

• 1 month later...

Why Did FANTASTIC FOUR Go Wrong? 'Hard Movie To Make' & 'Disappointing' Says Kingberg

150915_katz_setup_01_0099_0.jpg

What do you say to the criticism that you're spread too thin and it impacted Fantastic Four?

I was there every day on set of Fan Four, as I am on anything that I'm the writer and the producer of. Some movies work out and some don't. In my experience, there's not a direct corre­lation between the process and the product, meaning, I've been on some really hard movies, like Mr. & Mrs. Smith, where we shot a lot of reshoots that were very difficult days, as extensively reported — and in some places, accurately reported. So, I read stories about troubled movies and then I go see the movies and I'm like, "Wow, that movie turned out to be a great movie." There's a lot of crazy-talented writers, directors, actors who are difficult, and their films turn out great. And then there's some people who are lovely, wonderful human beings and the process is a joy, and the movie is flat. I don't subscribe to the idea that a happy process makes a happy product or an unhappy process makes a broken product. Also, the actual number of movies I'm working on is probably less than the average producer who has a deal at a studio.

What really went wrong with Fantastic Four?

I haven't really done a full diagnosis. It was a hard movie to make, but I've made a lot of hard movies. I do think that there is a great Fantastic Four movie with that cast. But there's so many different elements that need to come together perfectly. It's like a collaboration between all these strangers. And if there's a few things that don't go right, it's hard to recover from. I went straight from that into Apocalypse. I haven't had a lot of time to decompress. I'm obviously disappointed with the way it turned out.

Trank tweeted that his version of the movie was better than the one released. Did it hurt box office?

Honestly, I have no idea. I've had other movies not work before. For whatever reason, that movie not working became very public — and that was hard because you put a lot of time and effort and love into everything you do, and I really love a lot of people on that film and felt really close to the actors. Those are the guys whose faces are on the poster and are the most exposed. I hope we get to make more movies with them. But it was disappointing.

Would you work with Trank again?

In the right context? Sure.

• 5 months later...