Hondo's Bar

Batman The Killing Joke

The NZA

source

...the core DCAU will have 3 new films next year

Batman: Bad Blood, which apparently will introduce Batwoman.

Justice League vs Titans (which curious about since assumed would continue nu52 line and don't know of a crossover with them yet?)

And an adaption of The Killing Joke

https://twitter.com/80Grey/status/619716545120342016

https://twitter.com/theRealmCast/sta...16599730171905

https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/619716971567804416

https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/619717467078725632

• 2 weeks later...

jrT0vGw.png

Man I hope this happens. I think the only other Joker I've liked as much as Mark Hamill was Kevin Michael Richardson's, but I don't think his voice would work in The Killing Joke. I think this needs Conroy and Hamill.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Batman: The Killing Joke receives R rating

Batman: The Killing Joke isn’t kidding around. Warner Bros’. direct-to-video animated film based on the notorious Alan Moore comic has been rated R, the studio’s home entertainment division tells EW exclusively.

The Killing Joke marks the first film in the DC Universe Original Movie franchise to receive an R rating, and the second Batman movie to do so. (The extended home-video version of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice was the first.)

Starring Kevin Conroy as the voice of Batman/Bruce Wayne, Mark Hamill as the Joker, and Tara Strong as Batgirl/Barbara Gordon, The Killing Joke is an origin story that finds the Clown Prince of Crime taunting the Dark Knight by capturing and torturing Batgirl. The original comic was published in 1988 and remains polarizing, with some hailing it as a definitive Joker story and others criticizing it as misogynistic.

“From the start of production, we encouraged producer Bruce Timm and our team at Warner Bros. Animation to remain faithful to the original story — regardless of the eventual MPAA rating,” said Sam Register, president of Warner Bros. Animation & Warner Digital Series, in a statement. “The Killing Joke is revered by the fans, particularly for its blunt, often-shocking adult themes and situations. We felt it was our responsibility to present our core audience — the comics-loving community — with an animated film that authentically represented the tale they know all too well.”

There are currently no plans for an edited PG-13 version of the film.

Batman: The Killing Joke will make its world premiere at Comic-Con International in San Diego this summer, with a release on Blu-ray, DVD, and Digital HD to follow later in the year.

mHXk7Cw.png

tumblr_o52il9ablu1rrkcooei.gif

tumblr_o52il9ablu1rrk63ocb.gif

tumblr_o52il9ablu1rrk9boue.gif

tumblr_o52il9ablu1rrkyao4p.gif

tumblr_o52il9ablu1rrk9cpg3.gif

i'm not crazy about the transfer of Bolland's beautiful art, but there's a lot to be excited about here!

• 2 weeks later...

having followed/caught up on DCAU & seen a lot of their new 52 stuff: yeah, the quality varies, and this doesn't look on the higher end of it. everything else about it seems spot-on so i'm sure i'll roll with it when it's out!

• 1 month later...

Glad I saw this thread, I enjoyed TKJ comic loads, and remember Batman The Animated and Batman Beyond from when I was a kid. I had a couple of the toys from the former, still do, and keep them on my desk at work. Maybe I'll start waking up early on a Saturday morning and watch some cartoons!

I'm not familiar with any DC animated stuff, though. Luckily for me I don't really like anime, but am open-minded, and when tried before have enjoyed the oldskool stuff like GTO and Cowboy Bebop. What I'm saying is, for me, the slightly primitive animation is quite charming and doesn't bother me :)