Hondo's Bar

Iron Fist

Marvel's Head Of TV Says IRON FIST News Is Coming

127288.jpg

First, Marvel's Chief Creative Officer weighed in and now Marvel's Head of TV, Jeph Loeb addresses the lack of Iron Fist news. "We knew exactly what we were doing at Marvel and at Netflix," said Loeb, suggesting the plan was always to focus on Jessica Jones first.

Follow Mark:

CBMBTNS.png facebookBTNS.png twitterBTNS.png googleBTNS.png

By Mark Julian - 11/24/2015

uFi3uUo.jpg

Marvel's Jessica Jones is currently streaming on Netflix and is enjoying favorable reviews from the fan community. The series also introduced Luke Cage to viewers, who is set to receive his own series some time later this year. With 3 of the 4 Defenders already introduced, fans were becoming worried about the status of Iron Fist, as there's been no casting or creative teams announced. However, Marvel Head of TV Jeph Loeb says that the plan was always to focus on Jessica Jones and keep attention there, meaning there was never going to be any Iron Fist announcements until Jessica Jones was out.

"There was a lot of speculation about what was going on with "Iron Fist," because [fans] hadn't heard anything about it, but there's never been any change at all. We knew exactly what we were doing at Marvel and at Netflix. Let's get "Jess" out there, everybody knows that "Luke Cage" is up and going. What I can say right now is, we're very excited about "Iron Fist," and the short answer is, yes there'll be news."

Edited by alive she cried
  • Upvote 1

...so glad to have that stupid rumor put to rest (suck it, Rich Johnston) - just wish we'd get a casting call already!

really looking forward to seeing how this works in the so-far-mostly-grounded netflix universe...we're starting to open things up, but kun'lun and all that has to really knock down the doors on mysticism/etc

• 2 weeks later...

Marvel Reportedly Hires Scott Buck As IRON FIST Showrunner For Netflix Drama

127731.jpg

The last of The Defenders just (reportedly) secured a showrunner for his debut Netflix drama. Could casting for Iron Fist soon follow? Just how deep will the series dive into the mystical backstory of K'un-Lun and Danny Rand's predecessors? Check it out.

Follow Mark:

CBMBTNS.png facebookBTNS.png twitterBTNS.png googleBTNS.png

By Mark Julian - 12/7/2015

Pq2FLif.jpg

According to Comicbook.com, development on Marvel and Netflix's Iron Fist just took a giant step forward with the hire of Scott Buck as executive producer. Buck is mostly known for serving as executive producer on Dexter and producer on Six Feet Under. Iron Fist is the last solo series to debut as part of the collaboration between Marvel and Netflix that was originally announced back in November 2013. Daredevil season one premiered April 2015, followed by Jessica Jones in November 2015. Daredevil season 2 premieres Spring 2015, and will be followed later in the year by Luke Cage's solo series. Theoretically, Iron Fist could premiere in early 2017, followed by The Defenders mini-series.

I'm guessing the date in that last article is wrong and DDS2 will premiere Spring 2016. Also, I'm a little surprised DDS2 will hit before Luke Cage S1.

Not sure why this Scott Buck guy got the gig, but MARVEL is batting 1,000 so far with TV. I'm like NZA and still being optimistic this will be the K'un-Lun filled Iron Fist series we all want.

Yeah Melissa Rosenberg was given the unfortunate task of trying to turn the Twilight books into watchable movies. To be fair, I don't think that's a task anyone could've accomplished!! She was also a producer on Dexter, mostly during the good seasons. It looks like Scott Buck is all over the place on Dexter, but he did work on the Trinity season, so we know he can do great things! Marvel/Netflix is on such a roll here, I doubt they'd do anything to fuck it up now!

Edited by Donatella

Marvel Has Considered Asian American Actors To Play IRON FIST

127980.jpg

There's been a lot of speculation about Marvel possibly casting an American Asian actor for Netflix's Iron Fist series, and it turns out that they've strongly considered that! However, will they end up picking a white actor for Danny Rand instead? Hit the jump for details...

Follow Josh:

CBMBTNS.png twitterBTNS.png googleBTNS.png

By Josh Wilding - 12/14/2015

M2YMdyj.jpg

Now that Iron Fist finally has a showrunner and appears to actually be happening, there's been a lot of talk among fans about the studio casting an Asian American actor as Daniel Rand. Surprisingly, it appears as if Marvel has taken note of that, as The Hollywood Reporter has revealed that they've,"met with Asian-American actors in consideration for the lead." However, don't worry too much comic book purists because despite at least thinking over the possibility of a non-white lead, they're now "leaning toward keeping Iron Fist white." You can understand why Marvel would at least consider an Asian actor, but it does in many ways make more sense for Danny to be white. After all, he comes from a priveleged background and ends up in K'un-Lun after a plane crash, so seeing him go from spoiled rich kid to expert martial artist is actually a much more interesting story arc in some ways (though arguably one which could also be acheived wth an Asian American in the role). What do you guys think? As always, be sure to let us know your thoughts on this news in the usual place.

CVpUjeeWUAEOJP7.jpg

yeah, i know there's backlash from some of the internet reprobates on All New All Different Marvel & "PC" character switch-ups, but most of it's actually cool so far...this would be kinda weird, cause Danny literally comes from that era of kung-fu expolitation/white man's burden type shit, and as the article says: his family is billionaires. they could totally cast an asian & make it work no doubt, but some changes would have to be made, and if they do find a great asian actor, i really wish they'd consider Shang Chi.

they could go for asian-american i guess? honestly, the fight choreography in Daredevil felt fantastic, and it needs to be just as good (if not better) here so that's where my priority is

How much you wanna bet whoever gets casted as Shang Chi will be one of those Asian-Americans they "considered" for Danny.

oh yeah, i mean that'd be a smart move as well

• 1 month later...

Looks Like Marvel And Netflix's IRON FIST Series Has A Writer

130508.jpg

It seems the writer (or one of them, anyway) for the upcoming Iron Fist TV series from Marvel and Netflix has made himself known via Twitter, and it's someone with connections to one of the previous shows. Click on to find out who it is, and let us know what you think...

130508.jpg

scott-reynolds-iron-fist.jpg

That's all we have to go on, but in the absence of some kind of official announcement, it's something at least! Still no set premiere date for Iron Fist, but the character is rumored to make his first appearance in Luke Cage this year.

• 4 weeks later...
Marvel has found its newest superhero: Game of Thrones actor Finn Jones has landed the coveted series lead in Iron Fist.

Jones, who plays Ser Loras Tyrell on the HBO hit, will take on the role of the martial arts master in the upcoming Netflix series, EW has learned.

Iron Fist is set to be the fourth Marvel and Netflix collaboration, following Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and the forthcoming Luke Cage. Scott Buck (Dexter) has been tapped as showrunner. Marvel plans to eventually unite all its heroes in a series called The Defenders.

In the comics, Iron Fist is Daniel Rand, who at age of 9 travels with his family from New York to a lost mystical city called K’un-L’un. After some tragic twists of fate, Rand is adopted by the city’s ruler and taught advanced martial arts and the mystical power of the Iron Fist. As an adult, Rand returns to his native New York and begins a career as a superhero.

Some fans have urged Marvel to cast an Asian actor in the lead role, even though the character is white in the comics. Others countered that picking an Asian actor simply because the hero’s ability is martial arts would be a stereotypical move. Jones’ casting was first floated as a rumor on That Hashtag Show.

Jones, who also appeared in British shows such asHollyoaks, is next set to appear in season 6 of Thrones, while Marvel’s next premiere is the eagerly awaited return of Daredevil on March 18.

• 3 weeks later...

finnpic.jpg

confirmed!

“Danny Rand is a very complicated character,” said executive producer and showrunner Scott Buck. “He’s a billionaire New York Buddhist monk martial arts superhero who’s still trying to figure out what exactly that all means. Finn is able to play all these levels in such an honest, revelatory way that as soon as I saw him I knew he was our Danny.”

f77cff6aad04b4c64731bd960a8d83345479a2d8_hq.jpg

plot stuff!

In addition, Marvel said the series will open with Rand returning to New York City after being missing for years: “He fights against the criminal element corrupting New York City with his incredible kung-fu mastery and ability to summon the awesome power of the fiery Iron Fist.”

semi-related, in case it wasnt known:

tumblr_nu2um4aw6Q1u9wupu_og_1280.jpg

also, marvel tweeted this:

CdwbPUcWEAAVcn3.jpg

also, cause yall should read the new comic:

3051817-inline-i-1-exclusive-marvel-relaunching-power-man-and-iron-fist-with-all-new-creative-team-5ebcc.jpg

2637619-avengersnew2_21c_fist_him.jpg