Hondo's Bar

Luke Cage

Keth

After a sabotaged experiment leaves him with super strength and unbreakable skin, Luke Cage becomes a fugitive trying to rebuild his life in modern day Harlem, New York City. But he is soon pulled out of the shadows and must fight a battle for the heart of his city–forcing him to confront a past he had tried to bury.

Mike Colter leads a cast that also includes Simone Missick as Misty Knight, Frank Whaley as Rafael Scarfe, Mahershala Ali as Cottonmouth, Theo Rossi as Shades, Alfre Woodard as Mariah Dillard, and the return of Rosario Dawson as Claire Temple.

Cheo Hodari Coker (Notorious, “NCIS: Los Angeles”) will serve as executive producer and showrunner of the anticipated series, Marvel’s Luke Cage. Coker is writing the first two episodes of the series that will premiere in 2016, everywhere that Netflix is available.

Created by Archie Goodwin and John Romita, Sr., Luke Cage is one of the most popular street level heroes in the Marvel Universe who possesses superhuman strength and impenetrable skin. He’s also a friend and frequent business partner with Danny Rand aka Iron Fist, who will also be getting his own series on Netflix.

4sSm9mw.jpg

KVloNmc.jpg

LlcK5eX.jpg

2XpoVq8.jpg

Looking forward to this! I haven't read much about Luke Cage (yet), besides a little in Alias, but I'm really enjoying Mike Colter in Jessica Jones! He's just so damn likable. I think he can definitely carry a show!

And as always, suggestions for what to read are welcome!

For me, if Luke Cage and Iron Fist (and seasons 2 of DD and JJ) can keep the Netflix momentum going, then tv MCU will have easily surpassed movie MCU in quality and importance (to me personally).

People keep talking about hoping DD will transition from Netflix to movies, and while I'd love to see him join in, in Infinity War, or say make an appearance in Spider-Man, there's no way anyone's going to convince me that a big budget two and a half hour DD movie would even come close to the 13 hour, (relatively) low budget, street level movie we already got.

Edited by alive she cried

agreed, it's just a better fit...haven't finished Jones yet but the only issues i see there is pacing/bit of padding as some stories get stretched out to 13 eps. with DD season 2, we already know we've got Punisher, Elektra, and no doubt some Kingpin in jail stuff...anything more than that and it might be too busy, though i wouldn't be surprised if Bullseye showed of course.

which brings me to the topic at hand: with most of these, we've known/had a good idea which comic arc they're going with. what's everyone expect from Luke? his Bendis resurgence (post forgettable-ass MAX series) has largely seen him as a guest/prominent figure in other books, from Avengers to Thunderbolts..none of which really works here. his origin story & helping out folks in Harlem carries though a bit but not a whole season, ya'll think we might focus on meeting danny, starting Heroes for Hire & slowly creeping into the mystical stuff his show would need to be full-on for?

because i gotta say, i understand Panch's concerns but i think the quality here has my faith, and really there feels like no point to an Iron Fist show without k'un-lun.

^I agree, an Iron Fist show without out k'un lun is something I don't want. As for Luke Cage S1, I think we'll get an origin story and Luke kind of "coming out" in public as a person with powers. I'm sure it is also a safe bet we will get at least some form of introduction to Danny Raynd or the Raynd Corporation as well as an appearance or two by Jessica Jones.

From those set shots with Night Nurse we know at least part of S1 of Luke Cage will take place post-JJ S1, but I do think we'll get flashbacks to his life pre-JJ.

Jessica Jones S1 spoilers...

In S1 of Jessica Jones it is stated Luke has gone out of his way to stay off the grid, even so far as to have only his deceased wife's name on the deed to his building/bar.

Somehow his wife Reva was connected to the experiments done on Kilgrave, so that's a good indication where S1 will go. Are IGH and this apparent group of child experiment performing scientists connected?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Yay for this series being only two months away in September! But I wonder if with the current climate in America with police violence if any of those scenes in the pics above will be reshot or cut out? Luke punching a cop? Just sayin', people have lost their shit over less.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
Yay, I say!

It's like the opposite of DD's hallway fight scene. DD stopping halfway to take a breath, Luke doesn't even break a sweat. I'm sure every fight won't be this easy, but you kind of wonder why he and Jessica would even need DD in The Defenders. I know The Avengers balance Thor and The Hulk with Black Widow and Hawkeye pretty well, but in this more realistic corner of the MCU it may be harder to justify.

Edited by alive she cried

fuck, that was cool - the showrunner's recent "i think america is ready for a story about a bulletproof black guy" hit home, too

ODB! That was awesome. Luke Cage watch party, anyone?

oh fuck you cain't even sang

and yassss pls invite me