Hondo's Bar

Axels on Anime

Keth

So before the last purge I had a thread reviewing different animes as I went through them, being new to it I thought it would be fun and a way to keep me watching new ones (plus Newt suggested I should do it). Gonna revive this and keep going. I'll throw down the ones (That I remember) that I have finished.

Akira- Easy pick for my favorite anime movie ever. I've seen it multiple times and it holds up amazingly and keeps getting better.

Attack on Titan- Fun stuff, I was just hoping for a more focused story that didn't leave so many plot threads hanging. Hopefully season 2 remedies this, but I've seen some previews on the Manga and that seems unlikely. As long as they keep it fun I'm in.

Deadman Wonderland- Fucking awesome and way too short. From what I understand there aren't any plans to keep going with the show. I'd love to keep going with the Manga at some point.

Samurai Champloo- Just badass all the way through. The music is damn good and the action scenes are fun as hell.

Ninja Scroll- Bought this on a whim because of how "essential" I've heard it was. And it was fine, but having watched so many other, better anime shows and movies it didn't quite stack up to them. Still good, but not great.

One-Punch Man- I need to rewatch this. I loved just about every moment of it. Just when I thought it would lose steam or lose my attention it threw something fresh at me. Great original story, while being a fun send up of shows like Dragon Ball Z.

Parasyte: The Maxim- Finished this one a few weeks ago and it had all kinds of great elements mixed in that meshed really well together. Some good horror, clever action scenes, smart characters and overall story. Like One-Punch I thought there would be a point it would lose me, but it only got better and better and ends right where it needs to.

Still have a bunch that I'm working through. Evangelion is a tough one to keep watching, but I've still liked what I've seen, so I plan on jumping into that one soon. I've also yet to watch a Studio Ghibli film and only have caught a few episodes of Cowboy Bebop, so that is going to be remedied as well.

Katherine wanted to rewatch Gundam Wing since she was a fan when she was a kid so I'm taking the opportunity to watch that as well. Throw some more must see's my way and I'll try and work them in!

glad you loved Shamploo, Bebop is an absolute treat. for Ninja Scroll, did you watch the movie or the series? a few i've loved:

Black Lagoon - just a great, short action series bishopcruz put me onto years back

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - this is by far the best GITS thing i've seen, barring maybe the PSX game. lotta philosophy stuff + action, which i'm all about

Lupin: Castle of Cagliostro - man i was on a Ghibli kick years back & absolutely adored this one, really classic stuff right here

Macross Plus - i'm not as big a mech guy, but this is a 4 OAV (?) series with fantastic art & music, and a top gun vibe if you're down for that kinda thing

Golgo 13 - been a huge fan since the NES game, and the last series is just awesome, i'm running through it now....pretty much 1/3 people talking about how protected from assassins some dude is/nobody could take him out, then Duke does it, and the last 1/3 talking about how badass he is, haha...it sounds repetitive but they keep the situations changing a lot

Hajime No Ippo - every sport has an anime, this is the boxing one that's so good non-boxing people enjoy it. it's a fight one, so you know, picture DBZ or flames of recca or something but actually with decent pacing

Kenshin - as a big samurai buff, this one gets named a lot...it starts goofy, and there's like one arc in the middle that's about one of the coolest ones ive seen in anime. it's all butt after that part though, just in case you get curious.

newt got me watching some Patlabor that was good, been wanting to watch more badass older stuff like Space Adventure Cobra myself. anyway, hope that helps!

oh yeah, i kinda skimmed over some stuff i thought to be too obvious, but Fist of the North Star is essential. like, it's so dark & influential, you gotta watch it at some point.

likewise? i'll tell you what i was told over 10 years back & didn't wanna hear, but it was dead-on: you have to watch the somewhat-dated (at least for the earlier eps) Berserk series, just so you can appreciate the manga that you'll them follow for decades & not see resolution on, then cry with us in the thread :misty:

nahhhh, Ninja Scroll the movie was literally my first anime, and one of my favorites to date...the series is fun but not even half as good, i'd say pass

After getting nostalgic over Robotech one day, this would've been like 1994-95, my friend Dennis lent me three VHS tapes filled with anime films. And I can't remember exactly, but it was either Ninja Scroll or Battle Angel Alita that was literally the first anime movie I ever watched. I loved them both, but BAA was my favorite.

Also, good to know about the NS series. It's been in my ever growing "to watch list" for ages, so I'm glad I can cross one off.

I don't think I ever saw Fist of the North Star though. Gotta see if that one is on Netflix...

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

oh, man! battle angel alita was on my original '97 to-watch anime list with vampire hunter d & i never did, good call...i should finally get around to that!

as for ninja scroll: the series...panch can correct me here, but the vibe i got? you can watch 2-3 eps tops and if you don'' dig i, it, just pass. i did.

i likewise didn't tell axels to watch more of the standard anime series of trigun/hellsing/etc cause frankly i feel there's better out there now, and while those were gems at the time, he won't miss much in 2k16....whereas, say, cowboy bebop? there's still no equivalent, it's always a perfect time to watch that.

to 2nd one of pacnh's recommendations: i slept on gureen laggen or whatever for like the greater part of a decade. it starts small/whatever and reinvents itself no fewer than 2 times across a short series, and is like few other things you'll see. highly recommended!

Berserk will always be the first thing I recommend (and even had it typed out in my first post),but I decided to wait and just keep the like-minded things first. Gurren Lagann, Dead Leaves and FLCL are all anime I think would appeal to Keith best. They're abstract, insane and over-the-top. I'm sure he will have a blast with them. They're also approachable.

Even Berserk takes a more... veteran kinda take on anime.

Im actually doing Trigun too. It's fun! Standard is fair, but I like the world and characters so far. might see it through.

I got the bluray of Cowboy Bebop on the way as a bfay present to the lady since she is a fan, so now I have no excuse.

oh, man! battle angel alita was on my original '97 to-watch anime list with vampire hunter d & i never did, good call...i should finally get around to that!

mos def. mos def. It very likely won't seem as revolutionary viewing it now as it was back in the day though because there have been so many films that have been influenced by it, that some of the elements that made it unique are almost tropes in some respects now. But it is still definitely a must see anime in my book.

• 2 weeks later...

so, Berserk, the old-ass series, right? it's basically the first act, although it skips through much of Guts' horrific upbringing (the manga covers this), and leaves you right at the end of the 2nd act, i wanna say...and then that's it, for a long time.

the first 2 OAV's are retellings of the stuff covered by the series. i'd say you could just watch these - god knows, even i thought the first few eps of Berserk weren't really holding my interest - but stick with it, it becomes one of the darkest & most interesting things i've read.

we're looking to get the next few sections of the manga (i wanna say) from said OAV series, but like the book itself, fuck knows when that's happening. really, i wouldn't put up with this shit if it wasn't Berserk.

yeah, see, that's the cycle; you express interest in Berserk, everyone says "you're gonna read the manga right after the series" and you go "no, fuck you, i'm just watching an anime, this isn't fucking naruto"

then 10 years later, you're filled with dread whenever a new idolmaster game is released, because you fucking well know Miura is gonna put the next volume on hold a few seasons again

Just finished Princess Mononoke (finally) and I'm gonna get shit for this, but it was kinda underwhelming (or overwhelming depending on your interpretation). Possibly from all the build up. I just think it dragged on too long and had too much stuff going on. It wasn't bad by any means, and I can certainly see why it got all the praise it did, but it just didn't do it for me.

I'd be betraying my user name if I didn't lead my recommendations with Cowboy Bebop. Not only one of my favorite anime, but one of my favorite THINGS of all time, period.

Here are a couple more I highly recommend:

Death Note - It's another show where there's nothing quite like it out there. It sets up an interesting world with it's own unique set of rules and then goes wild in this ever escalating game of cerebral cat and mouse. I watched this one week to week as the episodes were originally airing and man, some of the cliffhangers were AGONY!

Kill La Kill - It's the first show by the people that did Gurren Lagaan after they broke off of Gainax and started their own studio. It hits many of the same notes as Gurren Lagaan, and it's equally as brilliant if you ask me. It's essentially their take on the "Magical Girl" genre (a la Sailor Moon) but batshit insane. Since you've seen Dead Leaves, it's similar in terms of it's colorfulness and manic energy (although Kill La Kill is not quite as off the wall)

I have a whole week off with Katherine at the start of her spring break, I'm getting Cowboy Bebop done if it kills me.

I've started Berserk, Weezer was a weird choice for the theme song.

I also watched the first episode of Death Note awhile back and liked it too! I need to finish that one.

This backspace bug on here is killing me

• 3 weeks later...

There's a fantastic anime called "Ore monogatari" - "My Love Story" - which is comedically brilliant.

Some others I highly recommend though:

"Aldnoah.Zero"

"Bokudake ga inaimachi" ("Erased")

"World Trigger"

With A.Z you got 2 seasons of tight 12 episodes. Well paced. Mechs. Space civil war. Usual shenanigans.

Erased is by far this winter season's best show, and arguably the best written and handled show of the last few years.

World Trigger is currently on its 71st episode, so I think that speaks for itself. I picked up when it first came out and I have enjoyed the ride through it all.

I try to watch at least 3 or 4 anime shows per seasonal outpour so if you ever need any more recommendations or if you're hesitant about a show I've seen, I'll let you know my honest opinion.

Happy viewing!

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...