Hondo's Bar

Pacific Rim: Uprising

Keth

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I kind of hope so. It was a cool device in the first one, but having one pilot per Jaegar just feels... Better. Like in gundam or something, you identify that bot with the pilot. Too many chracters you dont care about otherwise.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Did you see it in IMAX or 3D, Axels? No question if I'm gonna see this in the theater, only question is if I shell out the extra dough for an IMAX 3D ticket. Saw the first one in IMAX 3D and adored it. I'm not expecting this one to be near the same level though. Just hoping for some fun, cool looking battle sequences and maybe a little Charlie Day levity.

Saw it in IMAX 3D and was not disappointed. The plot was actually much better than I thought it'd be. The cadet story line had an Ender's Game light vibe to it. Characters were cookie-cutter yet not boring. Only real gripe I have for this film is the fights weren't as dynamic and captivating as the original...

All the robot v robot action delved too much into Bayformers territory for me. I was hoping for more Jaeger v Kaiju action, but the end sequence was pretty great.

• Like 1

Pretty much exactly my thoughts. I feel like they put too many fist pump moments in the trailer too. 

I also had a conversation with a friend at work on how I thought Charlie Day would be the villain. Even though it was predictable, I loved that they did that. And the way that they did it was pretty neat. 

Also the Kaiju-Bots were cool as hell.

20 minutes ago, Axels said:

Pretty much exactly my thoughts. I feel like they put too many fist pump moments in the trailer too. 

Hide contents

I also had a conversation with a friend at work on how I thought Charlie Day would be the villain. Even though it was predictable, I loved that they did that. And the way that they did it was pretty neat. 

Also the Kaiju-Bots were cool as hell.

Yeah, not a groundbreaking or game changing action film, but definitely an enjoyable one. I only saw the trailer once ages ago, so I didn't feel like much was spoiled for me. However, there are only technically four fight scenes in the film, and only one that's anything like the first film, so I can see how if the trailer was fresh in your mind it would have been overly spoilery.

Yeah, having Shao as the red herring villain was a nice little story element. And it was interesting to see that scene where Charlie turned into the villain. I loved how he played that scene. Same old Charlie, just slightly more menacing.

With del Toro outta the picture I honestly had an extremely low bar for the plot. I really just went in to see cool fights and I just barely got my money's worth there. So the story being engaging and not boring was actually a nice balance. The script was by no means great, but the film was put together in a way that was well paced and entertaining. Not sure who directed this, but the guy did a good job. I wouldn't hate it if he got a Marvel or DCEU film to direct next. He definitely knows how to maximize a mediocre script for entertainment.

Other things I liked:

*Boyega's braggadocios demeanor was tempered just enough to be charming and not annoying.

*No real "love'" story shoehorned in but that kiss at the end made things interesting for a sequel.

*The actress who played the mechanic who built Scrapper turned what could've been an annoying character into one I was rooting for.

*Even though you knew as soon as they dropped Scrapper off at the base she was gonna "save the day," I didn't roll my eyes when that moment came in the film. It was a "fist pump" moment for sure.

*If there is third film I hope we get full on Charlie Day mad scientist action for the entire film. Have the opening scene be him escaping from whatever prison they have him in. 

Edited by Mr. Hakujin