Hondo's Bar

The Orville

• 4 months later...

So, four episodes into this and, yeah, I see this show being the next Firefly.

Ok, that might be going a little far, but this is The Next Generation with some jokes. It's not your typical Seth MacFarlane type of thing. I mean, it is, but it's not. You just gotta watch. Episode 3 and 4 are the ones that are grab you and keep you.

Really? I've only seen the trailers, but it looks like a God awful, one dimensional parody of TOS/TNG.

the trailers are shit and don't reflect the genuine affection for the genre that the series actually has. See the Third and Fourth Episodes, seriously, see them.

I'm seeing a pattern to the comments about the Orville. People who have only seen the trailers are all saying it's just 'Family Guy in Space' while people who've watched the first four episodes are saying it's more Star Trek than the new Discovery series that just came out.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's the one show my wife and I watch together; I'm usually on the computer and she's usually on the couch in front of me watching he damn food network shows, but for this we make time. So far only one episode (Krill) has been cringe worthy in the beginning (the Krill god is named Avis and Malloy just keeps making way too many car rental jokes at inappropriate times that just kills the mood of the scenes) but it had a strong conclusion and the ending scene was rock solid.

We've only missed one episode titled Majority Rule due to... fucked if I remember, but if it's anything like the rest of the show, it should be either awesome or rock-solid.

The jokes were fine, just the inappropriate timing of them, which was probably part of the joke, was cringe worthy and killed the tone of the scene for me... and in general I find too much Malloy a little obnoxious for my taste; he's awesome in small doses, but have the camera linger on him and his humor gets old fast.

On 11/23/2017 at 3:20 PM, Da Cap'n 2099 said:

WHY IS NO ONE TALKING ABOUT THIS SHOW!?

Sorry, I'm late to the party on this one, fam. But I'm here now. Started it tonight, and two episodes deep I'm in it for the long haul. I knew it'd be similar to ST:TNG in tone from trailers and interviews, but damn! It's like an Earth 2 version of ST:TNG. Quite honestly, I'm amazed they haven't been sued by Paramount for just how similar it is to ST:TNG. I think this shows just how far from the original series Paramount is taking the ST franchise; they literally don't give a fuck if someone copies their original shit. They're all about sci-fi ACTION!!11! Meh.

I'm eager to catch up with the rest of Orville S1 and find out about that egg baby and if Gordon will ever get to wear shorts on the bridge.

On 11/23/2017 at 4:45 PM, alive she cried said:

It starts airing over here in a couple of weeks, you currently have my expectations sky high though.  

I'm only two episodes deep, and the writing on episode two was especially a bit hacky, but  I think you'll dig it.  Episode 1 was damn good. It's really got me wishing Paramount would've just let MacFarlane do a legit ST show set in the TNG timeline. I knew he was a big TNG fan, but I'll be damned if he doesn't capture the tone of that series almost perfectly--almost as in there's the added comedic element.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
Soda on the bridge though.

Watched S1E3, "About A Girl" tonight and it was pretty good. Again, the writing isn't quite as sophisticated as ST:TNG, but it did a damn good impression with tackling such a current topic like that.

The sci-fi geek in me though was yelling at the screen when...

Spoiler

There were just random people hanging out in the fucking shuttle bay as the doors opened into the vacuum of fucking space. WTF!?!? C'mon, man, next to the doors of a shuttle bay is not where you hang out to have a fucking chat. That's what 10-forward (or whatever they call their version) is for, yo.

Also, you know a backstory episode on that alien bartender is coming if the series doesn't get canceled.

6 hours ago, Mr. Hakujin said:

The sci-fi geek in me though was yelling at the screen when...

Hide contents

There were just random people hanging out in the fucking shuttle bay as the doors opened into the vacuum of fucking space. WTF!?!? C'mon, man, next to the doors of a shuttle bay is not where you hang out to have a fucking chat. That's what 10-forward (or whatever they call their version) is for, yo.

Also, you know a backstory episode on that alien bartender is coming if the series doesn't get canceled.

Forcefields, dude, forcefields.

• 3 weeks later...

So I just finished S1E6. Krill, Klingons. One species all black, one all white.  I see what you're doing Seth Macfarlane. And I surprisingly don't mind one bit. I still wish this series had a more polished feel to its writing, but all the homages to ST:TNG are just like candy coated crack for my fanboy soul, so I can't be mad at it. It's like the CW DCEU--it is what it is. You either take it or leave it.  I also dug the cameos in S1E4 & E5. Speaking of which...

They made no bones about jumping right into the realm of time travel. The future time traveler episode reminded me of one of my favorite ST:TNG episodes with

Matt Frewer as the devious time traveler. Admittedly, Charlize Theron with her Atomic Blonde hairdo was much easier on the eyes.

And Liam Neeson as the prophet/captain that society worshipped in E4 was a great cameo. I hope Macfarlane keeps mining his Hollywood buddies for these guest spots and cameos.