The NZA

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

...so yeah, i'm not big on the art style here, but i'll have to see it animated to really say.  i didn't like how the last series looked before watching it either

also nice to finally have april done right

tmnt-6-1986.jpg

I was gonna say, they called her the first African-American April but the April you posted looked pretty black to me! Still loving the representation. The art here makes me uncomfortable but I have to give it a shot, obviously. Also heard one of the villains will be voiced by John Cena and after seeing him in several recent comedies, I'm actually excited for that!

• Like 1

I, too, wondered about that African-American comment as I remember her having black curly hair in the original comic, but just trusted they knew more than me (since they're making the show and not I). It wasn't until Judy said something that I looked it up and found this:

https://doknowbutchie.wordpress.com/2013/11/25/a-visual-history-of-april-oneil-part-1-1984-1987/

The art style is kind of fun. Samurai Jack-ish. I'm not a big fan of the different weapons though. I'm with Panch on the specific turtles species too. I've tried to draw them as different kinds of turtles in the past, but get too frustrated. TMNT are deceptively tough to draw.

This is true. Young Panch could draw a Ninja Turtle with his eyes closed. Now? Not so much (I did draw Judy that Donatello when she was in the hospital that one time, but it was way harder than I remember).

I've, also, had as a pet every turtle mentioned (except the snapping turtle, of course).

I also like how Raph is the leader now even though Leo is my dude. Still, nice little change up.

3 hours ago, Axels said:

The art style is kind of fun. Samurai Jack-ish. I'm not a big fan of the different weapons though. I'm with Panch on the specific turtles species too. I've tried to draw them as different kinds of turtles in the past, but get too frustrated. TMNT are deceptively tough to draw.

I didn't notice the weapons at first!! Yeah that's not okay. 

The art style is whatever - like, the show could be totally amazing...and just drawn weird.  Not a factor for me.

What I don't like is the ultra high-tech 'vibe'...glowing weapons and such.  Mmmm - naaaah...I'll pass.  That will prolly keep me away more than any artstyle - LOL

I think the 2K3 / Fox Kids series evolved into aaall that in it's later seasons - not really my thing.  That's where I fell off - first 2 Seasons are as good as it's ever gonna get - I think - as far as nailing the original comics' mythos.  Love that run...

April being re-imagined as a person of color?  Whatever...them's the times - but her redesigned 'look' looks more suited for a re-imagined Irma.  Not getting 'April'...but I'm gonna assume the cg Nick version (a kid) is the new template for April...and that's the launching point in concept from now on.

LOL - as far as the 'original' April - I'm pretty sure she wasn't 'black' in the Mirage comics.  Her eventual ultra curly hair, to me - just came across as a...then-relevant...super-80s look.

aprilissue11-670x514.png

df5809771f533a304f2b28d5d3aef944744ef674

I think April has always been depicted as:

2212353935_c52a21d43c_b.jpg

I'll check out a trailer or clips - but, eh.  Not really feeling this take on the Turtles.  Too next gen.  I'd be surprised if this take clicks w/ me after seeing sum footage.  Wouldn't be the first version of TMNT that does nothing for me.

hoag-social_1.jpg

I've been had read on this 'issue' before - but, I just checked out the link:

Naaah, ain't no "ands, ifs or butts" about it...April wasn't an 'African-American' in the Mirage comics.  This 'Rise of TMNT', indeed, is the first 'black' version of April O'Neil.

Her run w/ a 'perm' confuses people...'specially being all in 'black n' white'.  April just started buying 'Soul Glow' for awhile there.

April+origin+Artobiography.jpg

ALTERNATIVELY, Kevin Eastman sez HE named April after his then-wife, April Fisher - who was mixed...and viewed April O'Neil as racially ambiguous.

333.jpg

Whatever their contrasting claims about origin or initial intent - she ended up being deliberately colored / drawn as 'white'...and had a fantastic stint w/ a perm, thanks to Eastman.

You can argue April is Asian, African-American...but, I mean...

latest?cb=20080113070857

02-5.jpg

LOL - the hell does 'the original' April O'Neil's race matter?  Comics.  'Nuff said - LOL.

Does it matter if April's race / ethnicity is changed?  Ask the folks at Nickelodeon if it matters what one's ethnicity is.  I'm sure they'd refer you to marketing.

hoag-social_1.jpg

:wink: LOL!!! :wink:1st-tmnt-film-as-played-by-judith-hoag-1

• Really? 1

I wish we could just go back to a grown up version of April. I feel like she's been stuck in this weird teenage version for awhile. Or at least we've seen alot more of that version... I could be wrong here though.

The weapons'll take some getting used to, but before the colors, those were what defined the turtles. Gonna be hard to replace the iconic look of the nunchuks and sai. Looking it at... Raph and Mikey are the only ones that truly got changed. I wonder why that is?

43 minutes ago, Axels said:

The weapons'll take some getting used to, but before the colors, those were what defined the turtles. Gonna be hard to replace the iconic look of the nunchuks and sai. Looking it at... Raph and Mikey are the only ones that truly got changed. I wonder why that is?

8 minutes ago, Drifter said:

because they are the two most iconic weapons from the franchise

Well, they've dropped Mickey's Nunchuks before.  In the 80's series, they dropped them at some point, maybe mid-way through the series, and he started using a grappling hook that looked like a turtle shell.  Used to bother the hell out of me as a kid.  At some point I looked into it and apparently it was because they couldn't show him using the 'chuks in the UK and had to edit out any scenes that had them.  Eventually they switched his weapon so they wouldn't have to bother anymore. 

Actually, when I saw the designs for Rise,  one of my first thoughts was that his new weapon was actually an homage to that grappling hook from the 80's show.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Axels said:

I wish we could just go back to a grown up version of April. I feel like she's been stuck in this weird teenage version for awhile. Or at least we've seen alot more of that version... I could be wrong here though.

I wholeheartedly disagree. April as a teenager just makes more sense to me. It was just plain weird that a grown ass woman would be hanging around with teenage turtles all the time. I accepted it with the original series because I was a kid and didn't think about it. But now I've thought about it too much and there's no going back! Keep her as a kid, I say!

Does teenage April mean a teenage Casey Jones, though?  I mean their relationship is hardly a cornerstone of the mythology but it would seem weird for him to be hanging around as the only non-rat adult in the crew.  And I know he wasn't in the animated show or the latter two movies but he adds a nice little somethinf extra to the series that he has been in.  

I don't think it's much of stretch that an adult woman who is a scientist or a reporter (depending on the version) would be interested in spending time with talking bipedal martial artist turtles and their weird elderly rat father.