Hondo's Bar

Batwoman

'Batwoman' TV Series in the Works at The CW

The CW is looking to expand its DC Comics world.

The network is teaming with DC's small-screen universe mastermind Greg Berlanti to develop Batwoman as a TV series. The character of Batwoman will officially be introduced in December as part of The CW's annual DC series crossover event. and more.

Batwoman revolves around Kate Kane, who, armed with a passion for social justice and flair for speaking her mind, soars onto the streets of Gotham as Batwoman, an out lesbian and highly trained street fighter primed to snuff out the failing city's criminal resurgence. But don't call her a hero yet: in a city desperate for a savior, Kate must overcome her own demons before embracing the call to be Gotham's symbol of hope.

I'm willing to give this a shot. I hate that I see CW and immediately assume this will be cheesy. I know they've got some decent superhero shows, right? What I've seen of The Flash was pretty fun and I've heard good things about Black Lightning. I wonder if Supergirl got any better. The first two episodes were rough

But yeah, I've never been a huge Batwoman fan, but I'll definitely give this an episode or two! 

CW markets their stuff very poorly I think. If anything DC needs a lil more cheese in it's life. I loved that new Aquaman poster because of how silly it looks. 

Seek out the Supergirl/Flash crossover if you can, that was a great standalone ep!

Edited by Axels
  • Like 1

I love the DC CW shows. Yeah stuff like Arrow can be hard to get through but I even enjoy the weaker entries in the series.

...that being said...

Right now the DC CW shows are asking a LOT of their audience in terms of time commitment. My GF and I watch all the CW stuff together and it's starting to kinda wear on us both. It's the long 20 some odd episodes with lots of shitty filler. There's a lot of content to consume out there and by making an extended universe the way they have they are almost making it mandatory we watch all of it. 

Proposal (because I know DC/CW reads Hondos):  If you're gonna keep making new show - nix your current line up to 13 strong episodes a season. Spread your shows through the year and give us a crossover once a year in the form of a "summer movie". That way we CAN have fun shit like... Bring around Constantine for the fall/halloween season ala American Horror Story. 

Just my 2c. 

• Upvote 1

Whenever I hear people recommending CW shows, there's always a lot of: "Just get through the first seventeen episodes and then it gets really good. It's still a little cheesy, but great. Now it does dip again for the next two seasons but the first three episodes of the current season is pretty close to its best" 

In the golden age of television, that's a long winded way of saying "Don't watch it".

Edited by alive she cried
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Yeah, the CW shows suffer from the same key problem as the Marvel Netflix shows--repetition and filler. But it's twice as bad with CW because the seasons are nearly twice as long as the Marvel Netflix shows. I genuinely like the characters and cast of CW's Flash, but I had to drop out early on in S3 because I just didn't have the patience for the storylines. Back in the day when all we had was Smallville in terms of superheroes on TV I had to tolerate these types of shenanigans from the writers. Now, however, there's just too much excellent TV out there to bother with mediocre anymore.

If the reviews are good I'll give Batwoman a try though.

10 hours ago, alive she cried said:

Whenever I hear people recommending CW shows, there's always a lot of: "Just get through the first seventeen episodes and then it gets really good. It's still a little cheesy, but great. Now it does dip again for the next two seasons but the first three episodes of the current season is pretty close to it's best" 

In the golden age in the television, that's a long winded way of saying "Don't watch it".

I hear something similar whenever a hardcore Dr. Who fan finds out I've never seen an episode of the modern iterations. (I watched some episodes with the curly-haired Doc who wore the multicolored scarf when I was a kid.) One day I guess I will try to give the David Tennant series a go. Maybe.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

In one of the biggest casting coups for the CW, Ruby Rose has been tapped to play Batwoman.

The character will make her first appearance as part of The CW’s annual DC Arrowverse crossover event in December. Rose also is set to play the role in theBatwoman series the CW has in development for next season. While the project is still in the script stage, with a star of Rose’s caliber attached and DC Universe architect Greg Berlanti behind it, it is likely to go to pilot and series. (I hear the CW is not planning to use the crossover as a backdoor pilot for Batwoman but instead film a full-length pilot as it did with flagship The Flash.)

It's not that she's not a good actor, it's that she's a terrible actor.  She's hot, she's a queer icon, she seems like a genuinely nice and wonderful person, and basic straight girls like to titter around a wine glass that she's their one free pass but on the scale of stunt-cast vanity actors from Pavarotti to Shaquille O'neal she's at about a Ronda Rousey.

She's an Australian model among many other things but she's been popping up in supporting roles in movies like xXx: The Return of Xander Cage, Resident Evil The Final Chapter, John Wick 2, and this weekend's The Meg.  Her most prestigious bit was a recurring role on Orange is the New Black. She's a big advocate for queer representation and rights and is gender-fluid, I really don't want to understate that she's an awesome person who totally deserves fame, she's just a really bad actor.

• Upvote 1

Batwoman wears a costume that covers everything but her face so that's not going to be a problem and her character trait is being obscenely pale so they're either going to have to cover her in pancake make-up or touch her up with CG in post anyway.

Edited by Iambaytor

Yeah I’m familiar with Batwoman, I meant when she’s Kate. That’s a loooot of makeup. 

I saw this posted in a few of my LGBTQ groups and even the community there seemed to come to the overwhelming consensus that this was a bad idea. She has a lane and this ain’t it. 

Well this is shitty...

Ruby Rose Leaves Twitter In Wake Of ‘Batwoman’ Backlash

As Hollywood takes the baby steps to become more inclusive for all races, genders, sexual orientations, and anyone else that has been “othered”, there are bound to be speed bumps along the way. As actress Ruby Rose celebrated her new gig as Batwoman Kate Kane for the CW people saw this as a great moment as Rose would play the first gay superhero to lead a TV series. This, of course, came with social media backlash which resulted in Rose leaving Twitter.

Rose took to Twitter one last time before exiting saying in a string of tweets: “Where on earth did ‘Ruby is not a lesbian therefore she can’t be batwoman’ come from — has to be the funniest most ridiculous thing I’ve ever read. I came out at 12? And have for the past 5 years had to deal with ‘she’s too gay’ how do y’all flip it like that? I didn’t change. I wish we would all support each other and our journeys.”

More here.

• Really? 1

JFC, we JUST did a podcast episode about this kind of behavior. This is fucking unacceptable and it makes me pissed off to be part of the nerd community when shit like this goes down. (i'm looking at you Star Wars and Rick and Morty fans). 

We're hitting a point where a lot of these people are being pushed to the side because we have movements like MeToo going on, but we're not there fast enough. These people are the vocal minority - all things considered, but its a fucking shame to see headlines like this still.