Hondo's Bar

Tiger King

dqc2MwK.jpg

Is anyone else watching this show? Netflix dropped one of the most bizarre, bingeable shows just when we all need it! Holy shit! The title doesn’t lie. This is absolute MADNESS. It’s mostly about two “big cat” zoos and “sanctuaries” that are warring with each other. 

It has everything: murder mysteries, missing persons, murder for hire, sex cults, polygamy, fake gurus, drug lords, lions, tigers, bears (no really, there was a bear on a leash in the last episode). I’m only on episode three but I can’t stop watching! 

Edited by Donatella
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Yes, holy shit its amazing. Last Podcast on the Left talked about this guy a few times. But they only mentioned him, and his rival. I didnt know about all these other crazy fucks! The polygamist dude with the soul patch is one of the craziest looking people I've ever seen. And when I initially heard of the woman who "rescues" tigers, I just assumed she was trying to get his zoo shut down. I didnt realize she was just on the other side of the same coin. This is some Game of Thrones shit. 

• Like 1

I'm halfway through this.  Granted I was warned above that this had a lot in it, it was originally in the true crime thread.  I would have liked to see more police and court stuff.  This show plays out like a tabloid, full of twists and turns.  It's so unreal you thought you were in some movie gone wrong.  But then, you realize it's real and it has such a redneck vibe to it.  Axels hit it on the head, you're dealing with two unlikable characters - actually no likable characters... I'm thinking the lawyer and doc is the only half interesting characters here.  It's the train wreck you just can't turn away from and people who run these things are flawed.  Capatilism at it's finest.  Check out wild wild country for something similar.

• Like 1

I heard an interesting take in that, Joe Exotic, while a piece of shit, gave a bunch of ex cons and misfits a place in the world. And that a silver lining is that, at least for a time, he truly cared about these people, and the animals at one point. The documentary really chronicles how this man falls apart over the course of human greed and various setbacks and tragedies. I kinda think Carole Baskin was the worst one of the bunch here. And they all had this weird cult mentality. 

• Like 1

Binged 4 episodes last night. Honestly, if this documentary didn't exist, I wouldn't believe anyone who tried to tell me the story of this. This is hilarious and sad all at once. Also, the most disconcerting thing for me is, why the fuck are all these people talking on camera. Does shame not exist once you start touching baby tigers or something?

• Haha 1

On 3/30/2020 at 11:03 AM, Bindusara said:

Binged it. 

...there are no good people in that story. 

You're approximately correct here.  I think there are at least two, maybe only two, good people in this doc. Reinke, the guy who was missing both legs, was one. And maybe the best person in this doc is the guy who lost his arm to a tiger,  Saff. He gave a great interview with David Spade recently. 

6 hours ago, Mr. Hakujin said:

You're approximately correct here.  I think there are at least two, maybe only two, good people in this doc. Reinke, the guy who was missing both legs, was one. And maybe the best person in this doc is the guy who lost his arm to a tiger,  Saff. He gave a great interview with David Spade recently. 

Girl / She.

The campaign manager seems like someone who isn't completely batshit also.

8 hours ago, the division of joy said:

Oh fuck, my bad. 🤢

Easy enough mistake since in the doc he wasn't referred to by his preferred gender. I just saw the Spade interview before I posted, which is why I knew. Saff is laid back about the error in the documentary--which goes to my original point: Saff was one of the good guys, if not the best guy in the doc. He got an arm amputated and was back at work five days later. He ain't got time to be upset over honest mistakes and misused pronouns. Saff is a legit BAMF.

Do you guys think Travis was one of the good ones? I felt so bad for him. He was clearly a kid in crisis, with a drug problem, who was lured into this mess with the promise of drugs, very likely coerced into a relationship, and then to go out the way he did? His story was tragic but I never felt he was a bad guy like the rest of these people!

The campaign manager seemed mostly normal, but he became suspect for me when he started talking out of both sides of his mouth about Joe. Like 95% of the people interviewed he was lying on screen.

Travis, yeah, that's another story. He's a tough one for me to classify as a "bad guy," too. But much like the campaign manager, he had some dubious actions that make it hard for me to firmly put him in the "good guy" category. Travis'death was certainly tragic. His funeral and memorial service were almost equally as tragic. However, he was an adult (granted, a young one) who made lifestyle choices on his own. Those choices included some very bad ones, such as doing drugs while misusing firearms. A grown man mishandling firearms like that reaps what he sows. Based on what I saw from the doc, I feel like Travis' death was not a suicide. 

Do you guys think Travis was one of the good ones? I felt so bad for him. He was clearly a kid in crisis, with a serious drug problem, who was lured into this mess with the promise of meth, clearly coerced into a relationship, and then to go out the way he did? His story was tragic but I never felt he was a bad guy like the rest of these people!

Also, this take kinda blew my mind:

ebw9Pow.jpg

• Wow! 1

47 minutes ago, Axels said:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/09/entertainment/tiger-king-and-i-joel-mchale-trnd/index.html

Bonus episode airs on the 12th. Its an aftershow hosted by Joel McHale. I dunno, it looks like it's in really bad taste. Maybe I'm just being sensitive though. And, aside from pretty much just Community, I'm just not a Joel McHale fan at all. 

I've never been able to pinpoint exactly why but Joel McHale really rubs me the wrong way. He just seems like he'd be mean in real life. I'm also not a big fan of the "after show" format. I always thought shows like Talking Dead were entirely superfluous. But he's interviewing Saff, so I'm in. Also I'd like to see John Finlay's new teeth in action! They look great in pictures. He seems like he's doing well!

I heard the new episode was a let down, but anybody looking for more Joe Exotic should check out Louis Theroux's "Beware the Tiger" episode on Netflix (Irish Netflix anyway, not sure about the U.S.). I knew I had seen Joe Exotic before, but couldn't remember where. Good stuff though, it basically works as a prequel to Tiger King.

• Wow! 1

• 3 weeks later...