Hondo's Bar

First-Person Shooters

Silent Bob

Which game do you consider to be the mother of all-time first person shooters?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Which game do you think defines the ultimate first-person shooter game - the game that every other FPS is compared to - the mother of all FPS's?

This was a tough list to make, and I know I left out a lot. But, hey, only 10 choices, right? A couple of honorable mentions that I left out of the poll -

Thief

Red Faction

No One Lives Forever

Perfect Dark

007: Nightfire (just for having a kickass CG version of Pierce Brosnan)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goldeneye, baby, hoo hah!

Ok let me explain before im jumped by the PC crew here: yes, Quake deathmatches of tons of people in elaborate levels with cool mods/skins are badass, i wont deny this one bit.

but.

Freshman year my dorm was packed with people tryin to break my controllers on split-screen 007, even on my tiny-ass TV.

There's not a whole helluva lot of weapons, characters or levels but the replayability & learning curve are insane. Everyone knowns somebody who's a god at this one cause its like Street Fighter II - even now, if someone catches you playin it, theyll joke for a minute how it's old school & then instinctively feel the need to house you, hoping their skills havent rusted up too much...

Even the easter eggs were limited - paintball, no radar etc. But how many days were spend in violent, 20-minute matches of one hit, one kill, the only rule being "leave me alone till i find a weapon" and even that wasnt recognized half the time? Ive seen this one break up friendships, man. People bought more N64's for this than Mario or Zelda...first person shooters just dont get much cooler than this one.

I agree wholeheartedly, IC. I think Goldeneye will always reign as the king of FPS. The graphics are no longer that impressive. The extras aren't all that stylish. But no other game has yet to beat it's simplistic control and huge replayability. There's nothing better than a bunch of people in front of a big screen with "old school" N64 controllers blasting their way through the Facility with machine guns. I think a lot of us have fond memories the great hidden sniper posts we've found, or the ultra-elaborate trip mine traps we've set. Nothing has beaten Goldeneye, in my opinion (though Perfect Dark came close).

Man, i wish idve had a chance to get into Perfect Dark, heard nothin but good bout that one...

Oh, and yeah facility (was that the 3 story one or 2?) with machine guns is good, default for us was power weapons in the temple.

Also, did you ever notice you had access to 2 or 3 more levels if you played with 3 people or less, but 4 players couldnt use em? I hated that, this one tiny level was cool but you couldnt use it half the time...

And many of us noticed the funny glitches: if you were playing one hit one kill, and i bitchslapped you, you'd die, but youd have a split second before you collapsed to take me down with you, that was funny. That, and Spiffytee became this werid master of "ill get the body armor even tho it does nothing it this mode" and then once in a blue moon itd take 2 hits to kill him, i hated that!

oh, and it took me months of play before i was willing to admit it: proximity mines are any man's game.

That's true... I do miss the days of 007 w/ the Proximity Mines on w/ License to Kill & no radar... those were the days. I remember Jason coming around & whoopin' up on IC & getting him so upset he'd refuse to let us play... then of course IC would get the upper hand for a few days & back & forth.

Remember that day I danced around Jason's bullets for a good 30-40seconds before someone finally shot me? I had no weapon & we were playing License to Kill & I was break dancing to the gunshots!

But my vote goes to Rainbow Six. Although 007 was pure fun, and Quake was a ball to play on a LAN, there's no feeling like jumping into a Rainbow Six game & trying to walk through a map quietly enough so that the bad guys don't hear you, all the while leading a team of 6 safely and trying to rescue the hostage before the crazy terrorists put a hole through his cerebrum.

I used to have Rainbow Six. Problem was, the copy I got didn't come with an instruction booklet, so I came to the first mission that involved a hostage and I couldn't figure out the command to get the hostage to go back to the helicopter with me. No matter what buttons I pressed I couldn't figure the damn thing out, and I was too lazy to look it up somewhere. I tell ya, there were a lot of hostages in that game with bullets through the head preceded by my frustrated cries of "move, dammit! This way! Fucking move! Oh screw this - BANG!"

And IC, you've really gotta find someone with Perfect Dark, sometime. It was exactly like an improved Goldeneye - same style, same exact controls. They even updated a few of the multiplayer levels from Goldeneye and put them in Perfect Dark - the Facility, the Temple, and the Complex...and one or two others, I think. They also added some fun new weapons like remote guided rockets and sentry guns. It might have surpassed Goldeneye in popularity, but unfortunately I think it came out just as the N64's popularity started winding down and getting replaced with the Playstation and dreams of the upcoming Cube. They had a sequel planned...or a prequel, actually - Perfect Dark 0, for the Gamecube, but since then the dreaded Microsoft bought out Rare, so I doubt it'll ever happen. Shame, too. The Rare/Nintendo partnership produced some of the best platform games of the late 90s.

Try Rogue Spear and all its Expansions, they're great.... THEN get your butt into Ghost Recon. Not the X-Box version, I played it, it sucks.

Ghost Recon is like Rainbow Six in a 4 mile long outdoor map. Just you, 5 other guys, NO PRE-PLANNING, and the trees & birds... in the middle of fucking nowhere... in the dark... and here comes a Jeep carrying 10 bad guys w/ haven't noticed your sniper huddled in a ball wearing trees for camoflauge... yeah... like that.

Had to go against the crowd on this one. While Doom and wolf3D created the genre, Quake was the dynamite that began the FPS explosion. Mouse/keyboard dynamics, skins, highly alterable maps and level editing even using alternate CD's for the soundtrack were firsts. Quake was the true pioneer into the Current FPS game standard and will always be the "mother of all" current FPS until the next genre shift.

Speaking of alterable levels, did anyone else ever play around with the editing program for Wolfenstein 3d? Now that was fun. We used to have one hidden in a computer when I was at middle school, and every time we had computer class one of us would sneak on there and change the game around. By the end of the year, you'd play that game and the machine would have been replaced with a lightsaber, the portraits of Hitler were altered to resemble our teachers wearing swastikas, the suits of armor had become Imperial Guards, and Hitler turned into an alien at the end of the game, thanks to some great original animation by moi ("great" for a 13 year old, anyway). Ahhh, those were the days.

• 2 weeks later...

comon.... really. this question is hands down quake. i hate to admit it.

anyway.... a little story here. katsuasa, chihiro's brother comes in from japan last week. at the same time, sam and my brother comes down with another x-box for a halo fest. nice and simple. we use our existing switch for the computers and networkin cable and volia! network game.

aadil won't admit it, but he's a halo player. gotten very good very fast. sam and jon are pretty much addicts, each one a powerhouse - nuff said. i'm an average player - at times i can give jon some problems; otherwise, i'm cannon fodder.

so, we got sam and aadil on a team in the living room. the asians in my room (my brother, chihiro's brother, and me) on the other team. Here is the best part - strategy.... all of us have a motion tracker (kinda like a radar.) but what sam teaches aadil is that he shouldn't move - making him invisible and deadly. however, our team has our own codes, depicting enemy position when their fire has been drawn via decoy. (many times we used chihiro's brother, but he doesn't know, right?)

anyway.... he died the most and scored the least. but you know what? even though he had never played the x-box, didn't speak english well, and got his ass handed to him, he had a BLAST! those are some amazing boundaries! go halo!!!

some highlights:

spiffy bitch slaps jon point blank with the butt of his weapon; jon falls to his knees

during lord sam's shoot and hide strategy, lord sam transports right under jon's trained sniper rifle, where he gets one straight down the nose, killing him instantly.

katskun kills aadil. nuff said.

jon gets lucky and just barely beats team lord sam and spiffy

katskun caputres the flag. TWICE.

aadil mows down just about anyone with a close range shotgun blast and keeps running - right over your body

spiffy commits suicide via rocket launcher

Haha...damn i wish i was there for that one.

even though he had never played the x-box, didn't speak english well, and got his ass handed to him, he had a BLAST!

That's a trip...

Id like to comment on some Halo aspects: Mr spiffy, when driving, likes to take us over cliffs, into enemy fire, etc. If he gets hold of a mounted laser, watch out, cause he makes lil distinction between friend and foe.

However, unlike Yahvne, if you die Spiffy will go back and get your ressurected. Yahven watches you die, straps on a red bandana, gives you the bird and takes on the world without your ass. I suspect he's sad when he gets far enough and the game brings you back automatically. ???

Also, spiffy puts up with my bad habits of "friendly fire" so he makes a good partner in this one. Now that im over a thousand miles away from the mammoth system i can safely admit this game is cool.

• 4 weeks later...

yahve is now borrowing the x-box. i feel that he and his brother could use the time to better their skills - however, i best see some action here in the nintendorks forum from mr admin. reviews! replies!

he's got to look up halo multiplayer on the net via computer software too.. hehe... he's got halo, wreckless, serious sam, splinter cell and panzer dragoon in his posession.

note: a melee attack in the back will result in an insta-frag, yo!

Edited by spiffytee

what? you could hook up your computer to the n64? sounds strange... how come i never heard of it? furthermore, you'd have to have a n64 emulator, yes? i don't know much about this. mabye IC could put in a word here, since he's up on the emulator scene.

ps. quake still pretty much wins this one for being the originator, i hate to admit.

Guest Yahve

mmm Halo.

Begin to fear my snipe scope spiffy, I'm needing the zoom less and less.

TD nailed it with this one. Quake WAS the 1st real 3d game. And boy did John Carmack blow the world with this one. I downloaded the demo late, Quake II was allready out. and bought a Vid card almost inmediately. I've been into FPS since the days of...

FACEBALL 2000.

Ha!

Wolf3D was great. Doom brings back memories to keep me warm at nights. Quake changed the industry. Quake II changed it again with the birth of the giant MOD community. without them, we would have never had the likes of Valve and the next big thing....

Half-Life.

1st- person shooter, with a game! From this we've had Metal Gears, Deux Exs and Thiefs.

Action Quake.

One of the greatest QII mods brought us all kinds of military games like Tribes and everything Tom Clancy.

With graphics becoming next to obscene in the PC industry, Xbox and PS2 doing a fair game of catchup graphics. Things are looking great.

Next in line of innovative game? It could go anywhere from here.

Graphicswise? It's between Unreal II and the Doom III engines. Multiple monitors for PC, Multiple TVs for networked consoles, and widescreen support for both allready on these advanced games, things are looking great. It's gonna be awesome for the future of FPS

speaking of John Carmack, there's a book, called, "Masters of Doom: How Two Guys Created an Empire and Transformed Pop Culture"

it's amazing to learn about these guys:

“To my taste, the greatest American myth of cosmogenesis features the maladjusted, antisocial, genius teenage boy who, in the insular laboratory of his own bedroom, invents the universe from scratch. Masters of Doom is a particularly inspired rendition. Dave Kushner chronicles the saga of video game virtuosi Carmack and Romero with terrific brio. This is a page-turning, mythopoeic cyber-soap opera about two glamorous geek geniuses—and it should be read while scarfing down pepperoni pizza and swilling Diet Coke, with Queens of the Stone Age cranked up all the way.”

—Mark Leyner, author of I Smell Esther Williams

Masters of Doom is the amazing true story of the Lennon and McCartney of video games: John Carmack and John Romero. Together, they ruled big business. They transformed popular culture. And they provoked a national controversy. More than anything, they lived a unique and rollicking American Dream, escaping the broken homes of their youth to co-create the most notoriously successful game franchises in history—Doom and Quake—until the games they made tore them apart.

Americans spend more money on video games than on movie tickets. Masters of Doom is the first book to chronicle this industry’s greatest story, written by one of the medium’s leading observers. David Kushner takes readers inside the rags-to-riches adventure of two rebellious entrepreneurs who came of age to shape a generation. The vivid portrait reveals why their games are so violent and why their immersion in their brilliantly designed fantasy worlds offered them solace. And it shows how they channeled their fury and imagination into products that are a formative influence on our culture, from MTV to the Internet to Columbine. This is a story of friendship and betrayal, commerce and artistry—a powerful and compassionate account of what it’s like to be young, driven, and wildly creative.

yahve, practice more. you are easily distracted by fusion frenzy. i'm sure you will not improve unless you focus all your chi. mabye then you will stand a chance.

what?  you could hook up your computer to the n64?  sounds strange...

You couldn't hook the N64 up, spiffy, the game itself gave you those options. I agree with gaminggod, Perfect Dark was a great fps. It had everything that made Goldeneye great, and then added on. Unfortunately not very many have played Perfect Dark, so it's hard to get people to give it a chance.

And Yahve, thank god I'm not the only one with fond Faceball 2000 memories

• 2 weeks later...

I'm saying Half Life, probably because when I got a PC for the first time it was the first FPS that had a storyline that gripped me. It was fucking TENSE at some points, and it had magnificent set pieces that couldn't be found in any FPS up to that point.

Does anyone remember the crawl through the vents where you could hear a couple of soldiers talking below you, then they heard you and they started shooting up the vent, the sunlight streaming through the bullet holes was just amazing looking for the time.

however, when it comes to console networking, halo is hands down the killer. i have never seen so many options.... of course, i know this isn't new in the computer realm, but who can deny the ease of it all? hell, we gots a computer network at home; we all got the same os, but we have enough problems sharing internet, much less file sharing or network gameplay.

• 2 weeks later...

I played goldeneye for a little bit and I thought the game was ok at best, and sometimes it took to long for someone to kill anyone, quake definitely seemed like a blast although at times became cheap. I haven't played Half-Life and Unreal, and Wolfenstien and Doom were very much the same as being ok. Medal of Honor was ok for being a WWII creation. I know most people love the old school games but I think the king of FPS should be handed down to Halo. EVERY weapon is equally balanced, with weaknesses and strengths, their's vehicle's to enhance the gameplay, and although the speed of characters are slowed down, it's all meant to give all player an eqaul chance to actually hit someone.

By the way, when Kasuika( that's right right?) came by, he played on my team (i'm tim's brother) against tim and adil. I dunno if it was tim or adil but damn this was funny when it happened. One of you guys came down a hallway where I threw a grenade at their feet. and waited near the corner. The blast threw the guy straight out the hallway over a ledge. I came up from behind shot/pistol whipped him from behind.

Props for Kasuika for covering my back in the capture the flag game. ;)

Does anyone remember the crawl through the vents where you could hear a couple of soldiers talking below you, then they heard you and they started shooting up the vent, the sunlight streaming through the bullet holes was just amazing looking for the time.

Yeah, HalfLife was a tense game. I loved it. That part was especially great. Remember the time when you find an elevator shaft just in time to watch an elevator full of people plummet to the bottom?

Lotsa good mentions here.

I'll go with the one that had me up at 3am scared to go forward cuz of the shadowy corners and scared to turn around cuz of the rumbling growls behind me.

DOOM (2, with the double barrelled shotgun!)

Most gamers will tell you that it's never about the sound or the controls or the graphics. A great game makes you FEEL like you're right there and loving it.

That's what Doom did best for me.

Honorable mentions:

Goldeneye, Counterstrike (A halflife mod) and Jedi Knight.