Hondo's Bar

Sega

Spongebob

494x_sega_layoffs.jpg

Just got home from friends house where we broke out the old school system, Sega Gensis, and was wondering. What game do you think is the best? I know I can ask this question on this board because it is a majority or guys...

In my opnion, TMNT is the bestest game (game so good it gets its own word). Not sure which one it is that we played but it is side scrooling fighting... we knew when and where every guy would pop out and throw the rocks and sewer covers after going about 6 years of playing...

But no matter how good TMNT is lemmings is 10000000x better. When I think I was six, seven or so (1st grade) we would stay up all night playing. That would be the only thing that couldkeep me up all night. TMNT would be fun and all but get old. Lemmings has like no end. You play and it just gets harder.

What is your faviorate?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
:sarcasm: lets see.. the sega systems i own.... genesis, game gear, CDX, Nomad, Saturn, Dreamcast... yea... whos got 2 thumbz and a HUGE SEGA fan?! This guy ;) I got about 60 saturn games if not more so thats obviously my favorite system... then comes dreamcast... I brought my dreamcast from home in philly cuz saturn takes a lot o work to play ( I play a lot o imports) its the only console i like to play especially since it seems 2D fighters kinda died w/ it :/ but im dedicated to 2D fighters... i own every capcom game baby!!! I would luv to go into detail but im exhausted... any questions?! :love:

• 3 weeks later...

interesting conversation over here about who contributed Sega's downfall: Bernie Stolar, Peter Moore, or Tom Kalinske.

read a few points of interest:

To take a deeper jab at Sega, the Sega-CD never sold more then 1 million units in Japan, it was woefully underpowered, so much so that it's max global palette of colors was 512. Keep in mind the SNES's was 32,768.

you know all the "next gen looks gray/brown" jokes we have this gen? i used to wonder that on Sega-CD, it wasnt as vivid as SNES - no idea the #s looked like that though, that sound right to anyone else?

-Spending 10 Million Dollars to build a FMV studio somewhere in Texas. Again this happened under Tom Kalinske who was sipping the same Kool-aid that Tom Zito was and spewing crap like "FMV games are the future." Then and dumping funding in countless crappy games like Tomcat Alley, Sewer Shark (Which was really a game for the freaking NEMO), Mad Dog McCree, Kriss Kross:Make my Video, Fahrenheit, Night Trap (Yet one more re-raised NEMO clusterfuck) and other FMV shovelware. Something like 100 FMV games were released for the Sega CD and they all were shovelware of the highest order.

man, i remember a (i wanna say) EGM article on the day about this, with the hype behind Ground Zero, Texas - after all, if that much $ was going into a game, it had to be the best! it couldnt possibly go the way of Ishtar.

the bit on why the 32x got smacked up by Donkey Kong Country rings true, as well.

the saturn architecture, ignoring the awesome shit Capcom did in japan for the system, rushing to retailers and somehow boning them (bish told me of this before) as well as devs not ready with their games - its pretty rough, and this one guy puts it all on Tom, saying he set the stage for Sony's rise.

The bits on Jan Coyle's lawsuit im not familiar with, though i must admit, if nintendo at that point paid the guy out of court, id be reluctant to think i could do better.

Stolar, i know more from his Sony efforts as "the guy that tried to kill 3D" and kept a lot of RPGs out. He may've contributed to us getting past that awkward-as-hell early 3D phase of games like Toshiden but he pissed off a lot of gamers in the process. then again, one of the two talking here attributes the DC's lowered pricepoint to him, against SOJ's wishes. that's something.

still, this bit i hadnt read prior:

Tom Kalinske: "I felt that we were rushing Saturn. We didn't have the software right, and we didn't have the pricing right, so I felt we should have stayed with Genesis for another year. I recognize that our volumes would have gone down, but I think we would have been a much healthier company. We would have been more profitable, and I think the folks who appreciated video games would have appreciated that we were still doing a lot of great product on the 16-bit hardware.

anyway, interesting shit to the 3 of us who dig sega history.

that's what it looks like from here, but man, ive never heard of this level of right-hand-not-knowing-what-left-is-doing shit; how can you release systems early, or drop the pricepoint and let japan know after the fact? there's some ballsy shit went down here, really oughta be a book about it sometime.

I'd love to write it.

Remember that a lot of it was differences in culture and not understanding just how the other market worked. Japan had a handle, somewhat, on Japan. But the execs over there didn't know SHIT about how the US worked. The US guys could sell shit over here, but had trouble dealing with the suits back in the orient. It ended up as a clusterfuck.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

494x_sega_layoffs.jpg

saw an auction for that sega artbook i showed a few posts back, got a good deal on it, cant wait.

by the way, good news! Sega's making hardware again!

bad news! it doesnt play games.

sega_vision.jpg

The credit card sized SEGA VISION has 2GB of on-board memory and can play AVI and MP4 video files, MP3s, radio, television and eBook/text. There's a still 1.3 megapixel camera and voice recorder as well.

one day...

so anyone else getting that Sonic Collection disc? just me and possibly bish, then? i gotta say, im a sucker for replaying classics and getting trophies/achievements.

• 4 weeks later...

<a href="http://delthefunkyhomosapien.bandcamp.com/track/proto-culture-feat-k-u" rel="external nofollow">Proto Culture feat K.U. by Del The Funky Homosapien</a>

FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

Edit: True they talk about a lot of shit, but the main love is for Sega!

Edited by bishopcruz

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

former Sega head Tom Kalinske interview - prolly one of the more interesting Sega pieces you'll read. you might've known Sony was working with Nintendo on what would become the Playstation, but did you know they also approached Sega to make a joint-venture system....? Insanity!

also, the recent Bernie Stolar one is hilarious just to see Victor Ireland, god among men of former Working Designs, basically call him a lying tool.

former Sega head Tom Kalinske interview - prolly one of the more interesting Sega pieces you'll read. you might've known Sony was working with Nintendo on what would become the Playstation, but did you know they also approached Sega to make a joint-venture system....? Insanity!

also, the recent Bernie Stolar one is hilarious just to see Victor Ireland, god among men of former Working Designs, basically call him a lying tool.

yea man bein the sega obsessed biatch i am i actually wrote a paper on that whole fiasco freshman year.... CAN U BELIEVE DAT SHEEEIT!?@$?!??! Nintendo woulda been filthy mcnasty if they coulda put aside their differences... their fite against piracy is futile anyway... so silly (AND TRYING TO EMBARRASS them at e3... wow)

Edited by IceManML

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...