Hondo's Bar

Avril Lavigne: Hate her or don't mind her?

Reverend Jax

What is your opinion of Avril?  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Avril Lavigne, no periodical magazine on the face of the Earth has yet to run a cover story on her. She young, psuedo-punk, all three of her single have hit #1 on the Top 40, she's all the rage. I've heard to hinting at anti-Avril sentiment. What's your take on her? Mine is the third choice. I think that while I'd rather have kids listening to Black Sabbath, Tool, Rush, Frank Zappa and other GOOD music, they won't. As long as it's going to be pop they listen to, Avril and her entire attitude thing she has going are certainly better for kids to emulate (Complicated video: Walking around a mall and just randomly trashing stores) than the shanky hoe shenanigans of Britney, Christina and the lot. Avril reminds me of all the cool girls in high school I had crushes on. It's not geniune, like real punk should be, but at least it's emulating somethign better. If pop music is ever going to really be good (it's possibly folks, it happen once before, it was called the sixties) this is the direction it needs to take.

You have an opinion other than the three I've arranged? Notice all the 'other's. Post your opinion, I'll edit the poll to include it, adn you, can anyone else will be able to vote for it.

??? Im indifferent...she sucks, but i dont care...and the 60's pop was ok cause we were still ripping right offa black people. Why is it when we take it, make it our own white music etc it downwardly spirals to shit? Light R&B/hip-hop stuff might one day (thankfully) replace what passes for pop lately.

Mind you, John Mayer might be pop to some, and i think he's fuckin great. I even admit to havin a Justin Timberlake mp3 on my shit these days ( :D ) but i dont like supportin that shit, and Jax has a point as far as ho-pop kids got right now from Spears & Aguillera.

That's why we got gods like Nas pushin positivity these days. Yeah, ill :D him out on other threads, anyway...serioulsy, i feel indiffernce, i think she's way overrated but i just flip the station, not cursin her name or whatever, just pass it on by, all 4 stations that play her simultaenously.

Guest Yahve

Decent voice, cute getup. I kinda like her. Her music is enjoyable, nothing fancy. Since i dont listen to the radio that much I havent felt it over played. I guess I'm lucky I dont see her poserpunk image. I just see a cute chick in nonclub gear, allways a plus. I dont get that vibe of trying too hard either. I didnt know she was making that much of an impact nowadays :D

• 4 weeks later...

Eh, I agree, she's better than the britney alternative. And as much as I hate the wannabe punk thing, it's not so bad when you think about it. These kids buy up avril lavinge, start saying that they like punk music (tho they've prolly never heard any) and before you know it, they might have a NOFX or less han jake cd in their hands. But if she has anything else thats like that fucking "sk8ter boy" song she can go fuck herself, that shit was just as bad as the britney alternative.

• 1 month later...

I have come to the conclusion that whether you think her music is good or not, she is cool. Too hear the reason why, download her live cover of Chop Suey! It is easily available on any P2P program. Anyone who has the balls to cover Chop Suey! this badly in public doesn't care what anyone thinks of them, and is cool in my book.

Edited by Jack's Meandering Thoughts

jeezus christ... she's not punk!! she's not trying to be punk!! she doesn't claim to be punk!! her clothes don't even go with what punk was, i mean hey if we wanna pick on good charlotte here, that's fine with me. i'm not her #1 fan or anything, but i'm tired of people saying she's a 'poser'... obviously i don't know her personally anymore than you, but there should just be no punk equated with her or mentioned when she is. just something that pisses me off. plus i just had a full day at me shitty min wage job. so yeah. i want her money. but anyway, i see no reason to hate her. fine, you think skater boi sucked, there's tons of other stuff you think sucked too. and like a lot of people said, she's a lot better than britney. she does write her own stuff as much as she can, prolly not much with the industry, but hey, i respect people who do what they like and like what they do, and do it themselves. not lyrics from 40-year-old swedes and their generic mixers, and group of suits creating just another image that caters to overhyped sexuality. but yeah, i'm going to bed. :sleepy:

Hmm, Heartless hasn't posted here. Funny, cause she enjoy talking about how fake mainstream musicians are, you'd think she'd at least drop off her 2 cents. It's either because of her general absense on the board, as part of a Avril boycott (refusing to even acknowledge her), or as part of her Jax boycott (refusing to even look at any thread I start).

Seriously people, download Avril Lavigne's cover of Chop Suey! It'll be your new favorite mp3.

Edited by Jack's Meandering Thoughts

• 5 years later...

to think we used to get raged with shit like this little did we know fall out boy and mcr were coming round the corner

i managed to escape school before that came around i can honestly say i've never heard a song by either

inb4 one of you bastards rolls me