Hondo's Bar

Subtitles & Dubbing... Whats up w/THEM!

Sango

Don't get me wrong sometimes I want the Jap. voices but WHY do they just SUCK!   :angry: example: the hong kong versions on dvd...( you alll know what i'm talking about)... Other times the english voices are much worse  :hmph:  example: Salior Moon, Usagi's voice just SUCKS A** in english not only does it change 300 times it gets worse... I know, it sounds that i'm not happy with any language...the thing is I like some anime in its orginal lang. and some in mine but it never works out...Am I the only one that feels that way?

Note::The point for this post is to complain about how much they somtimes, not alway, suck a**... :wasabi:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Relax! Yes it sucks! I agree 100%. Example: I just got back from Alita's house and they were watching Ayashi No Ceres english dubbed. The only voice that sounded like it belonged was Aya's. Everyone else sounds like old people in little kids bodies. But then again, in the DVDs that I have, the Subtitles are horrible. They run off the screen, go by tooo quickly (mind you, I read fast but they just took that to the extreme), and sometimes your watching it and the subtitles just don't come up at all. Very annoying. NEways, solution is.... let's all take the Japanese course at FIU together so we don't have to deal with subtitles or dubbing. Who's with me??  :approve:

Super Saiyajin! Ichi! Ni! San! Shi! Go! Rokyo! Stichi! Hachi! Ku! Ju! Sayanara! .... The extent of my Japanese vocabulary...  :wasabi:

On a serious note: I do understand the value of subtitles, but I'd rather WATCH my cartoons than READ them.  :p

- :ssj: (Super Saiyajin)

I'd have to say subtitles all the way in anime and movies, you get a lot more than just the translation, you get the original tone of speech as intended by the (voice?)Director.

Then you get really shitty dub's, I remember seeing the dub of Akira with Kaneda sounding like one of the Turtles! Or some anime where the dub musta added as many swear words as the rating would allow, all the characters sounded like sailors with Tourette's!!

I have to agree with Benny I like to watch them not read them but the problem with that is that sometimes u don't get the full effect of the animation...YET I love Inuyasha and the whole series is subtittled its not dubbed...so one has to get the best of both worlds...

:D

BACA!!!

I know one or two more words hehehe

Guest Yahve

id prefer to listen to anime in a language i can understand, that goes without saying.

problem is that the english versions 95 % of the time are downright PAINFULL to listen to.  No emotion, no sense of pace, no independant voice no nothing !  at 1st it was kind of awkward but nowadays i can read 3 lines of text in less than a second. just out of the corner of my eye.  we all can get used to it. this way i UNDERSTAND the pitch, tone and accent of the voices.  things completely lost in the translation.   also you get that extra cultural reference by reading.  many times translators will stick cultural cues on the top of the screen that are kinda neat to read. ( sana-chan  :D )  There are very few translations that actually make the grade its not worthwhile to even bother testing them out in my book.  Some are so different they come on different dVDs  like Cardcaptor Sakura.   :approve:   im in shock at how different that series is dubbed.

long live subs !  *goes back to learning his piddly japanese by theory of immersion*

...you goin for the "Every breath you take" Sting/stalker angle :kitty: ?

'Sides, this topic aint for that, its subs vs dubs, in which i vote for subs, espeically after illustratin my superior japanese skills.

Muteki! Shinobi! Oro? :wasabi:

• 7 months later...

ah the stoneages of anime. i consider myself a modern man, i am grateful for the progress of many unfavourable individuals such as slaveowners. this does not mean i follow in their footsteps. i enjoy my natural sweetener, i dont go out and farm my own. thus in today's day we read and attempt to learn th elanguage.

what did i just say? im pretty sure u guys can make it out. i must be tired enough by now to sleep some.. gnite all

• 2 weeks later...

As the world turns - of course there are gonna be bad versions of each. of course, there are less bad voice actors on the japanese side of the coin. this one reason why subtitles are better. The other reason why is cause you catch a lot more of the jokes in sub. now that i think about it, you catch all the jokes if you have a japanese friend or significant other! Sometimes when you watch a series, you get used to the voices and you just are so used to em that that is what you would rather stick with. *cough*ranma*cough... however, over time, i have come to appreciate both. anyway, it's good to enjoy. hell, if you love a series enough you WILL watch both. like i'd watch macross plus again in both versions or if a dub version of initial d comes out, i'd watch it.

oh yeah; KOS, i enjoyed the first dub version of akira! it was cool to see kaneda sounding like leonardo. Reminds me when the turtles cartoon when i watched it - when it was more serious instead of what it has become.

My problem with subtitles is that "hardcore" anime fans think they need to watch anime in japanese because it's what the true conisuers do, so they put there nose up to dubbing. This results in fan subs, that some people would rather watch dispite crappy quality, cropped-off text, and just as great a likelihood for mistranslation as a dubbed movie. Fan subs piss me off. This is anime, not South Park, the high quality of the image is part of the appeal. I just watched the Cowboy Bebop Movie (Knockin' On Heaven's Door) on fan sub, it was total crap. I will stand by the appeal of choice. Buy DVDs with both language tracks and optional subtitles, and as consumers, demand them. Subtitles are alright, but this horrible fan sub shit has to go.

I'm just fuckign tired of all the asshole who think they're better than everyone who doesn't like subs because they do. I've talked these people, they have this fuck air of superiority when they talk about it. "Oh yeah, dubs suck, if you watch more anime, you'd know that!" Where do these fuckers come off? And how about the classic "That's what the pause and rewind buttons are for." No, assholes, movie weren't mean tto be watched like that. The pause button is for when get a phone call or hear a knock on the door, and the rewind button is when something distracts you, like you hear an explosion outside your doors, and you missed something. It's not for rereading subtitles and taking over 35 minutes to watch a 22 minute episode. You liek subs better, fine, keep it to yourself and buy dvds witht eh option for both, so when your friends who don't watch much anime coem over, you don't alienate them by treating them like tools for wanting it dubbed. And piss on yahve analogies!

PS These opinions about subs vs dubs are only relevent to animation. For live action, nothing stinks more than dubbing.

• 2 weeks later...

...I'm workin on that one, whore....

As for subs vs dubs, i dont follow: Jax, if youre all for subs with live action movies (presumably because dubbed voices usually suck), why not the same for anime? Is it the text speed?

There's something to be said for watching things in their origial languauge, but not for cultural eletism: part of it comes down to (lets try a non-yahven analogy) "Kubrick movies arent in widescreen because Kubrick, the director, didnt want them that way". I give merit to the artists' orignal vision.

But largely, its quality. Again, dubbing on movies (Akira, Ninja Scroll etc) is often good quality and i dont mind it, but in seriers or OAV's its often shit - emotionless, horribly paced shit. Not always, mind you, but ive much come to prefer subs - but the key is well-translated subs. Chi-chan has taught me much of what we often lose in translation, and its a damn shame sometimes. I look forward to the fansubbed Kenshin stuff if mr Spiffytee ever gets on it.

:wasabi: