Hondo's Bar

10 REASONS ANIME SUCKS...............

bacchus

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You've got to admit that there is a lot of bad american TV out there, and sure, there is some bad anime out there too. But there are a lot more opportunities to find sophisticated, intelligent, thought-provoking serial shows in the realm of Anime than there is in the majority of American TV. If you aren't addicted to the Discovery network of channels, then you probably see more than your share of brain-numbing, pointless "entertainment" coming in over that boob tube. So don't beat up on the people who are looking for more than that.

Bash the Dragonball people all you want if they aren't looking for anything more interesting than that. They aren't really raising the entertainment bar with that show.

:D

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm dyslexic (or lysdexic) and a slow reader and those subtitles are annoying. Especially with so anime with very fast paced dialogue. To give you an idea, the Star Wars story-opening scrolling back text intros are almost to fast for me. Almost. I like have DVDs with English and Japanese soundtracks so I can try the Japanese soundtrack, but also say 'fuck it' and just go with English when I'm not in the mood.

And don't give me that "pause and rewind button" bullshit! That's no way to watch anything, always pausing and rewinding just to get what's being said. The pause and rewind buttons are for one purpose and one purpose only: catching the hidden gags in the simpsons.

Yes yes, I am a hiprocrite. I admit it. I am called PIGGYLOVER for Mohamed's sakes. :D but I had Bad experience with anime, it was chosen over me by someone, so I have feelings of jeolosy.

BUT IN MY DEFENCE, I also made a poll on why war movies suck so at

least I have a sence of honor and equality about my hipocracy.

Fair point on the dyslexic thing, thats understandable. I just think its a shame if someone could read em fine but was just lazy, so they sacrifice quality. But hey, watch it however ya like. And no, constantly pausing & rewinding - like i watched the ending to Evangelion - is no way to watch things at all.

Piggylover - Mohammad is pleased. I forget where your "Why war movies suck" poll ended up, but its around, so you are indeed still an honorous piggy.

Oh, and he's a big fan of war movies, just made the poll to be fair.

i have almost the opposite condition to dyslexia, I hear shit fuzzy. When lost of people talk or the music isnt clear enough I dont understand squat. When alone i'm pretty used to reading subtitles as i watch TV. slowly but surely my reading speed has gotten up to the point where it doesnt inhibit my appreciation for hte visuals in the least degree. in fact it allows me to see more because im not closing my eyes in sheer concentration trying to make out what the hell is being said.

i have nothing against good dubs, problem is they are few and far between. most of them are in spanish anyways.

Despite the "rubber vs glue" logic employed there & my referring to Ian as a troll, i assure you, he's a rea little boy, even got a profile on the gods list.

Seriously Ian, you got a lotta school ahead of ya, stop treating literacy like the enemy. Spongebob is good for humor, but anime kicks the crap outta most American animation for plot, effects, and yes, action, of which youre a big fan. You liked Ninja Scroll? When have you seen shit like that over here? Youre missing out, almost all anime is dubbed these days too ya know.

...but god bless those subtitles.

one of these days, pick an anime you like dubbed, and rent or borrow one that will allow you to watch + read it at the same time.... if the lack of consistency doesnt get you there, just spend 5 mins listening to the difference between japanese and american voice acting.

Japanese = Stage theater

American = Captain Kangaroo

:D

There are a few exceptions, quite few. Macross plus and Princess Mononoke show how it SHOULD be done at all times, but alas we can afford real actors all the time can we :(

• 3 years later...

Voted Rondon thinks its cool. Who am I kidding I watch way to much anime. Dub all the way for me. If I want to read I'll grab one of my books. (and no I don't mean a comic book I mean a real book.)

And 2track. I did not need to see that.

• 4 weeks later...

I kind of take Anime to be a inbred subset of Japanese animation that has become so familiar with it's own clichés that it no longer makes any effort to innovate. And you can say Spirited Away is innovative, and I'll agree, it's fucking fantastic and that's why it's not Anime. Like Akira isn't Anime, it is Awesome.

akira01tb.jpg