Hondo's Bar

Facebook & Social Networking sites

The NZA

Facebook publishing Page posts under your name without your consent

Is Facebook damaging your reputation with sneaky political posts?

[...]

So what's the big deal? People share stuff on Facebook all the time, right?

Except that's not what happened here. I've found more than a dozen examples of similar "sharing." I spoke with five individuals who supposedly shared posts in this format. All of them said they had done nothing to trigger these posts.

If you actively share a link, a post, or a photo, you expect that shared item to go out to your friends immediately. In this case, however, the posts are going out under your name because at some point in the past (in some cases in the distant past) you visited a page and clicked Like.

Yes, you voluntarily Liked that page and made it part of your Facebook profile. If a Facebook friend wants to go through your list of Likes, they can learn that you like the NRA or PETA or a seemingly innocuous group that you probably didn't realize was funded by Karl Rove's political action committee.

But I doubt that you expected that simple click to result in a flood of posts under your name months later.

One associate whose name was attached to a rabidly right-wing political post said she disagreed vehemently with the sentiment it expressed, and she couldn't imagine why it appeared under her name.

Two other associates had their names attached to more innocuous-seeming posts. One forcibly shared post was from eBay Motors, which caused a potentially embarrassing conflict for the unwitting poster. The other was from Esquire magazine, and the person under whose name it appeared called it "crazy annoying" and asked what he had to do to "stop this kind of hijacking in the future."

eb-facebook-forced-sharing.jpg

Call me old-fashioned but I think it's just a bad fucking idea to leave that sorta info where just about anyone could access it without much searching.

Goddamnit January 2011 Jay. If only you'd had more influence and argued the opposite. My job would be so much easier.

Let me tell you people about the information you leave online. Some of us use it to find you, or your family. You should maybe be more careful.

• 4 months later...

Microsoft pulls back the covers on Socl, opens its social network to the public

Microsoft is opening the doors on Socl, the mysterious social network project from its FUSE research group. As ZDNet reports, up until now the beta had been limited to a small set of users, but now anyone with a Facebook or Microsoft account is free to sign up.

The first thing we noticed on logging in was that the site has seen a major redesign since last November. Where it used to share a lot of design elements with Facebook, the new layout puts images front and center, with a continuously-scrolling two-column design that has a lot more in common with Pinterest. According to Lili Cheng, Fuse Labs’ General Manager, the team’s idea is to "democratize design and make beautiful posts." Once you're logged into Socl, clicking the new post button gives you a "topic" text field that runs a Bing search for your chosen string. Next, you’re presented with a list of related images, links, and videos that you can paste into a Live Tile-esque grid layout. Also, when you're commenting on others’ posts, a link labeled "Riff on this post" will let you create a new post based on the same search, with a list of relevant links to incorporate courtesy of Bing.

So far, all of the issues we had with Socl at this time last year still stand — there are still no private interactions or curated groups along the lines of Google+’s circles. And despite Microsoft’s stated aim of combining search with a social network, Socl’s simple tagging system still isn’t the most useful way to find relevant content. The project is still a work in progress, but if you’d like to check out what the Fuse Labs teams have been up to, Socl is yours to test drive.

socl-mepageqbpdh.jpg

idkos.gif

I had to get rid of G+ because of shit like that. It tied my name to my youtube and all kinds of other nonsense. Plus, even though I never used it on my phone, it would show whenever I was taking a morning shit and playing Angry Birds (I don't know if it showed the shitting part) anyway. I assume because Android.

So yeah. I shant be tricked into using my real name on social media again.

• 3 weeks later...

Facebook Tests Charging $1 to Send Some Messages

Facebook Inc. said Thursday it has begun testing a system for users to send messages to people outside their immediate circle of social contacts for a payment of one dollar, as the company continues to find new ways to capitalize on its popularity.

In a statement posted online, the Menlo Park, Calif.-based social site cited research showing that "imposing a financial cost on the sender may be the most effective way to discourage unwanted messages and facilitate delivery of messages that are relevant and useful."

Facebook says the new test is designed to route messages sent from outside of a network of contacts around the lower-priority "Other" folder on a Facebook page, and directly into a user's "Inbox"—for a small fee.

Each message sent will initially cost $1, though Facebook plans to continue tinkering with prices.

Facebook said the new message-routing feature will only be for personal messages between people in the U.S., and the maximum number that can be sent around someone's Other folder to their Inbox per week is capped at one.

this follows the recent announcement to expect video ads in your feed, and instagram's new policy that they can use your photos for ads without your consent. i don't know how many ways these huge sites have of making money, but going public doesn't seem like it pushed them in a good direction.

they took a hit with the privacy stuff, i wonder if moves like this will be what pushes them out in the coming years.