Hondo's Bar

Saw

I've been hearing about this one since Sundance. It looks really fucking creepy and it's being released by LionsGate (in my opinion, they've always been reliable when it comes to indie flicks). Check out the trailer. This site posts the release date as Sept. 17 but on IMDb it says Oct. 1. I guess we'll see.

Saw

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So did yiz go see this.

I watched while in work today and I wasn't very impressed. The acting was very sub standard. It took too much of its visual style from Se7en( but failed).

Twas a great idea idea but just wasn't executed properly. I got paid to watch it though so I can't complain too much.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this last night.

Kinda mixed about it. I agree with KoS on the Se7en comparison, it does have that whole feeling to it.

It did have its creepy moments and interesting plot revelations along the way. However, I did find the film descending into hilarity quite quickly near the end. Some of this was the fault of Carl Elwes (Men in Tights, The Princess Bride) although I found his acting pretty good for most of the film.

Also, if I'm going to have someone act the insane cop for a film, Danny Glover would certainly not be my first choice. He wasn't given much to work with and there was no Mel Gibson to save him this time.

However, some credit is due for the creepiness earlier on. Stand-out scene for me was the victim recalling her experience while in police custody. Nasty stuff.

Saw-... wait... Watched it last night as well, with SuperE, Cal, and a couple of other friends... it's wierd and the jumpy moments make you laugh (yes I jumped a few times- the closet one was the worst). I didn't even know what I was gonna be watching till I was sitting in the theater so I had no idea what to expect. It wasn't bad but it wouldn't have been my first choice to watch...

I will agree with MLB, the scene when one of the victims shares her experiences was fucked up...and gross... yea creepy looking doll too... :D:D

I liked this one a lot, but I'm not sure if it was intentional on the movie's part. Yeah, it had some good scares, like the closet thing with the camerra flash and such, but I just thought it was really fun. That last hour where it descends into hilarity was what sold me actually. It's not what I expected at all, I expected a smart movie and got a dumb one.

It was grossly overdirected. I mean, like the Tony Scott level of overdirecting. That was just annoying as fuck, not everything needs to be a fast motion montage tinted green with a strobe effect. Also it had this sort of "show and tell" structure that was annoyig (ex. Actor says "I saw the body" and what foloows is a clip of him seeing the body, "i turned on the light", clip of him turning on a light, etc) The acting was ok but got pretty bad towards the end, and the whole plot was just completely implausible. I probably wouldn't reccomend this one to people without a disclaimer because they'd expect a seriously good movie and be pissed that it was so retarded.

But, I definately enjoyed the hell of it nonetheless. There were a few legitimate scares and the premise was great. The different ways he had folks die were all pretty clever. The main story of the two men chained in a room only got retarded at the end, so that was actually really clever most of the way through. They strategized and found clues and it was great, a lot like an old Lucasarts computer game. Also, it never got boring, never strayed from the main plot for too long, well paced etc, and it delivered on the violence. The last half 20 minutes or so had me laughing my ass off, probably unintentionally but who cares, the whole theater was just hysterical, so it was certainly enjoyable.

Anyways, I'd reccomdn this as a fun, semi-clever B movie. Not as something truly disturbing or an intelligent thriller on par with Se7en or anything like you'd expect it to be, being a movie form Sundance.

Archived