Hondo's Bar

Ju-on: The Curse

The NZA

Alright, so my previous reviews of asian horror films, like Audition, Ringu and The Eye may be gone, but ima try again.

juonkr.jpg

Ju-on (soon to be released stateside as "The Grudge") is a simple ghost story: tragedy happens, and a house is haunted. The fallen takes another living being, which repeats the cycle. There's a lot of discussion on what happens in this made-for-TV japanese series, but its not a whole lot more complicated than that, at heart.

Thing is, its not told in a linear fashion, and charcters do seem similar, so its mildly tricky at first. Plus, its made for TV, so the affects are nothing big at all.

However...its sublte when it needs to be, and builds this tension & sense of inevitability that's intense. Personally, i found this one scarier than the others mentioned above, and its sure not without its distrubing scenes, too.

If Spiffytee sees this, he might comment. Just wanted to throw this one out there...it spawned a number of sequels, and again, is on its way stateside. The only awkward bit is that part one ends on an odd note, and part 2 (as im tryin to watch now) starts off with the first half hour being the last half hour of part 1, so you have to get past that. After that...ill post back when i see how it goes down.

Ok, so...part 2 wasnt as good, and yeah, the first half hour was just the last half hour or so, with an added scene or two for measure. It wasnt that 2 was bad, by any means, but it didnt give much in the way of resolution; if you enjoyed the horror of part 1, its cool to see it continue, but by the end, it mighta been a bit much...this one really had its scary-ass moments, too, tho.

Some say the subtletly of Ringu was wrecked by American effects; i thought the girl in the TV was done really well (tho that whole "horse jumping overboard" was odd); but Ringu was a bit scarier to a (largely) superstitious japanese culture, who thinks that ghosts are vengeful spirits. Given that, this should be scary as hell.

It just got me thinking...i think the US version of this one could be pretty good, too.

It was out in the cinema where I work as we are having an Asian Extreme film festival of some kind. It got very mixed reviews, some said it was amazing, some not so amazing.

The remake with Sarah Michelle Gellar can only be a piece of trash in my humble opinion.

I really liked this one. The scares are really fucking creepy and stuck with me for quite a while. Even the plot I thought was pretty cool. The way things overlapped and such was really interesting, even if it offered abslutely no resolution. I can see the remake of this one working because it's by the same director... He's just gonna reshoot his movie with american actors apparently.

Hah...Deac, i didnt know it was gonna be Buffy, hope they dont fuck up what was a pretty basic, but well-done horror story...but if its the same director & all, that gives a bit of hope.

So, what's it being called stateside, then? Who picked it up, Lion Gate or Artistan or wha?

Someone recommended Ju-On, so I watched it a few months back with some of the LO-FI crew.

I think there might've been a problem with the DVD, since it was a bootleg, but what we did see wasn't scary or creepy at all. It takes a lot more than a little Japanese kid in white makeup to induce any kind of fear.

The one good sequence was the "girl" walking down the stairs.

Apart from that, the movie was sub-par, and I don't know how Sarah Michelle Gellar is going to improve the situation in the American "re-telling." She better hope that Joss Whedon's got something written for her, because this "serious actress" business is going to go over like a lead balloon.

Thanks to Nick I got a chance to see Ju On last night. Pretty good. Very solid horror movie, its been a long time since ive seen a movie use basic eerie music so well.

I thought it was hillarious to see a trailer for The Grudge today as one of the previews before Suspect Zero ( fun movie, could have had a bit more development for an ending).

Check out the trailer, it looks exactly like Ju On. Hopefully it'll be like Vanilla Sky, a good american version of a foriegn film by the same director. We wouldn't want the public to suffer from asian-itis.

Official Site with trailer.

...wait, youre sick of the entire medium? The one no one payed attention to for years, even when it had some amazing series (like Cowboy Bebop, etc), and now its gettin its due attention?

Im not sure how one gets sick of a medium...youre an odd one, white line.

The remake with Sarah Michelle Gellar can only be a piece of trash in my humble opinion.

I just saw Hero and the trailer for The Grunge and it actually looks pretty good! Maybe the next Ring? The fact that it has Buffy in it doesn't really bother me... maybe, she's trying to do something serious for a change (like Ashton Kutcher in Butterfly Effect)!! Oh and it had Sam Raimi's name attached to it so it can't be that bad... (horror's what got him in the bizz, remember)!!

Eh, its hard to find imports at rental places over here. If you have a PC, i can prolly copy the disc, and a few quick codecs for yoru windows media player to read it...

if you want, and you & cap'n are down (snce he's big on horror flicks too), i can show it over here...id prolly show the TV one, as its freakier.

This film comes to my independent cinema in a week. I'm so hyped. Scariest Eastern film ive seen so far has been 'The Eye' with the notorious elevator scene, but hoping this might top it.

On a related note, I have heard Hollywood is remaking 'The Eye'. Weird little film fashion going on I reckon. What's next 'Audition', 'Battle Royale' remakes?? ???

Haha....I hope those 2 dont get remade. And Cap'ns right, Ju-On: The Grudge is a movie based on the TV series, its good, but if you really wannna get fucked up, watch Ju-On: The Curse..it doesnt pull any punches.

Can you play Divx files, MLB? If not, i could toss a few codes on a disc with the movie, lemme know.

Eh, its hard to find imports at rental places over here.

I know some of them aren't for rent, but there is a place in Addison (near Dallas) called Anime Pop and they sell HK dvd boxsets of anime, rent anime, and also sell Asian/Japanese DVD's. If any of you like, gimme a title and next time CJ and I are there we can take a gander and pick it up for you's. : D

Haha....I hope those 2 dont get remade. And Cap'ns right, Ju-On: The Grudge is a movie based on the TV series, its good, but if you really wannna get fucked up, watch Ju-On: The Curse..it doesnt pull any punches.

Can you play Divx files, MLB? If not, i could toss a few codes on a disc with the movie, lemme know.

Ah ok, didn't realise there was a difference. Considering my laptop is not very up-to-date I would probably need the codes. Me and technology are like Marvin Gaye and his father, we don't really get along ???

If you were to stick them on a disc IC that would be ever so cool.

• 1 month later...

Archived