Hondo's Bar

The Motorcycle Diaries

deacon

So has anyone seen this yet?

It follows the travels of a young Ernesto(Che) Guevara as he and a friend journey around South America on a pretty crappy motorcycle. It is easily the best film I have seen in a very long time. The scenery is breathtaking and the acting especially Gael Garcia Bernal is top drawer.

So in closing. Go See It!

The traielr has been playing attached to art house movies like Fahrenheit 9/11 and Garden State. I'm not sure if it's mad eit way here yet, but even if it is good, I don't want to force my way throw the mob of protesters it will no doubt amass here in Miami just to see it.

Or maybe I do...

• 7 months later...

I just came back from seeing this movie at school for free.

It made me cry.

And I must have looked like a total looser cus I went unaccompanied. but I didn't care. It was horrible and beautiful at the same time. Made me want to be a better person and all that good stuff. so go see it.

Well it's probably not even playing anymore - cus the masses don't actually like good movies. Jax you were being sarchastic about those crowds right?

Oh yeah, I saw this a good while back and really loved it. It's episodic but in a really good way. I really just felt like hanging out with the characters and following them wherever they went, the movie could have been 5 hours long and I wouln't have noticed. Add in the actual plot and it had me hook, line and sinker. Agreed, it''s really a must see, a damned shame that so few people got to see it.

• 9 months later...

motorcycle_diaries.jpg

On dinghy & Junekr's say, finally got to check this one out.

its funny, you woudlnt think mixing parts of a buddy adventure and social commentary'd work, but it really does here, all along a backdrop so beautiful, it makes you want to tour South America as well. An excellent, fitting soundtrack doesnt hurt one bit, either.

While it ranges from lighthearted & adventurous to slightly tragic in its look at those left behind, its surprisingly apolitical, and never really enters heavy-handed territory. While id be interested in a movie on the more well-known later years of Che, this was an unexpectedly great film.

I'm assuming :yup: has seen it as well; if not, he shall soon.

cycle4.jpg

I am so proud to be Peruvian! To see how amazing my country's culture is and how it provoked a change of heart for such an icon, not only is it breathtaking, but it is inspirational. Most South American countries are decending of the Incan empire. You can see these distinct features on the people. It is also really sad, that people of light skin and more money devalue the beauty of the NEW WORLD. i hope that this film met it's purpose in opening the ees of many through Che and his diary.

Even though this is based on a true story, it holds many truths and exerpts directly from his diary.

I am so proud to be Peruvian! To see how amazing my country's culture is and how it provoked a change of heart for such an icon, not only is it breathtaking, but it is inspirational. Most South American countries are decending of the Incan empire. You can see these distinct features on the people. It is also really sad, that people of light skin and more money devalue the beauty of the NEW WORLD. i hope that this film met it's purpose in opening the ees of many through Che and his diary.

Even though this is based on a true story, it holds many truths and exerpts directly from the famed diary.

I have been trying to get a group of people together to come down with me to Macchu Picchu, Cuzco and to Iquitos (by the Amazon). if people are interested and would like to start something, I have lodging taken care of! we just need some plane tickets and extra cash

I went to bolivia last summer and it was really amazing. I almost went to Peru to check out Machu Picchu, but didn't have the chance. I did get to go to the Incan Ruins to check out the winter Solstice at tiwanaku tho, and that was a fucking mindblowing experience. So macchu picchu sounds really great, if only I had the dough.

Anyways, I agree, South America is a really beautiful and damned fun place, and it was very well represented in this film.

Keep in mind that in Peru 1 DOLLAR = 3.5 SOLES. there for, $100 = 350 soles. Some of the hotels run for $5 a night! it's insane...and as long as you are with a peruvian guide (not a REAL GUIDE--I meant like a friend) then you wont get ripped off! THey always try to overcharge tourists!

Archived