Hondo's Bar

Sky Captain & The World of Tomorrow

Sooooooooo I just got back from seeing this one....

and although Angelina Jolie was totally creamworthy, I didn't much like this movie...

There were a lot of plot holes, bad jokes, and ..... I dunno.

I guess I got myself hyped up for it :D

Oh well! There's always Ghost in Shell : Innocence! heh.

I loved it! This whole movie is basically a fun recreation of 1930's pulp comics. Hell, it's about a guy named Sky Captain fighting robots that look straight out of the old Fleicher bros Superman Cartoons so that he can stop a doomsday device from going off. It's nothing serious at all and it's PG rating is right on target. There's no cynicism or winks to the audience to tell you it's all a big joke. It's a sincere adventure story the likes of which don't get made anymore.

As far as the CG goes, it's not cool because it's realistic, it's not realistic at all, and in purely technical terms can't touch anything ILM does probably. The CG is cool because it's cartoonish, and it uses the CG more imaginatively than any movie I can think of. THis film has such a unique look to it, it really looks straight out of the pages of an old comic book.

Anyways, I liked it a lot. No, it's not the next Star Wars or Indiana Jones, as some people are saying it is, but it is striving for the same B-movie Cheesy pulp comic purpose as those films and it completely suceeds.

Saw it today and loved it.

I'll have a full review up on www.lofimagazine.com by the end of the week, but I wanted to tell people kinda interested in seeing it that they should definitely give it a chance.

Had high expectations for it, since I'm a fan of 40's serials, film noir, and Indiana Jones/Star Wars. If you like all that stuff, you might be into Sky Captain.

The production design and tech featured in the film are worth the price of admission alone. Sure, the movie is predominantly CG, but it also has a lot of heart and a little bit of humor thrown in, too (VERY subtle). The acting and writing are good, and you really get to like Sky Captain, Polly, Dex, and Frankie (Angelina Jolie-- hottest woman in an eye patch ever!).

All in all, I liked it more than the Star Wars prequels and the Matrix sequels combined, and can't wait to see it again.

Archived