Hondo's Bar

Paralympics

The NZA

2004_Paralympic_Games_Emblem_150x150.gif

So, before the crash, former member WhoDey (come back, man!) was here highlighting a Miami Herald article about his girlfriend's excellence in swimming, despite having OI (Osteogenesis Imperfecta - brittle bone disease, think Mr Glass in Unbreakable - rolling over in bed could break a leg :D ). I was really, really impressed by someone havin the dedication to stick to somehting like that, despite the immense pain.

Well, the Paralympics are gearing up for Athens, and Da Cap'n gave some of us wristbands to show our support for Kara, a really amazing individual (who i will one day meet), as well as a former Hondonian's girlfriend...im sort of hoping this topic will help me & Cap'n get WhoDey back on at some point, and hear about her progress.

Yeah, I'm back in the spot to be! Whats up everybody! Sorry it took so long, but you all know I'm worth the wait!

I talked to Kara today on the phone, and the games have begun. Opening ceremonies were on Friday, and ever since then USA has been unstoppable. Already breaking two world records and countless, countless golds. Kara's event is this Friday around 10:30. Since Greece is 7 hours ahead of us, it'll be 3:30am our time. But its Friday so I definetly be up for that, plus I don't think I could sleep anyway.

Yo, I really appreciate all love given to Kara during this exciting time in her life. Kara, everyday, writes in her web journal on her web site, if interested u should check it out: www.karaswims.com also theres a little tag board there, you can write a lil message for her to read.

I'll keep you all updated with anything new I find out!!!

Go USA

WhoDey

Glad to see you came to your senses and came back to Hondo's!! Just kidding!!! Nah man, you know we all got mad love for Kara!! We know she's gonna do good!! I'm rockin' that wristband hardcore style!!! I can't wait till she gets back so we can all chill and get tipsy with the champ!!!

Tomorrow is the big day for Kara! I talked to her a lil while ago, and she was getting ready for bed. In Athens she will be racing around 10am, here it will be around 3am. She's quite nervous, and stressed about it, but excited and anxious at the same time. I'll post the result of her race as soon as possible. Wish her luck!!!!!!!! www.karaswims.com

WhoDey----->Adam

Go USA

Hello peeps. Well Kara did her thing last night, and she represented to the fullist. She swam the fastest race of her life! She subtracted 8 seconds off her previous personal best. She fell short of finals by 2 seconds, but set two american records in the process. So it was a great experience for her first international meet, and first paralympics. Here's a link to Kara's web journal where she talks about the race in full. Thanks for everybodys, thoughts, prayers, and encouragment during this long process! Kara is looking torwards the future, and getting faster and faster to make another apperance in 2008.

This is the link!

WhoDey--->Adam

Peace!

Hey yall!

This is Kara:-) and I was SOO touched by reading this message board. Thank you all SOO much for all your thoughts and well wishes..and thank you too for posting on my tag board so I could find it!:-) I did have a really fast race for me...and I got a BIG first dose of international experience..most people start off with something a little smaller than the Paralympics for their first world Games but it worked out really well...I didn't get too nervous until I got RIGHT up to the blocks and saw sooo many people and the big screen was zoomed in on ME! But then I chilled out and was fine. I also qualified with my team for the Elite US team which will be put together after we are released from the Paralympic USA tea so I'll still get funding and everything and will still compete for USA:-)

I am FREE on Sept. 30th when we land in DC and me and a couple cool teammates are heading STRAIGHT to the nearest bar in the DC airport--no matter WHAT time in the USA it is! It's been since APRIL since I signed with the team and have had all kinds of crazy rules so I am definitely ready to CELEBRATE. I can't wait to meet you guys and party when I get home:-) See you in October!

GO USA

Love-Kara :D

Oh snap - Crazy Legs, your lady made it on down! I was hopin that link'd come through... :D

Really cool to talk at you Kara....i know you post your thoughts on the event in your journal at your site, but if you feel like sharin any here (or just copyin) thats cool too! You really came through, despite all the pressue, and i was tellin Cap'n that i dont think ive heard of many people who, given your condition and all, have nearly that much determination or passion about anything, much less something challenging as swimming. It's really admirable, means a lot to hear about your broken records too.

So, :D , glad you could join, and i know youre busy but check back here when you can, casue were all rootin for you too! :D

Oh man!! Kara made it!! Damn girl, we're allll really proud of you (and we ain't even met you yet)!!! But I have to say that it's all Adam's fault!! That boy just wouldn't shut-up about you for one second and got us all on the Kara Bandwagon!! THANK HIM cause he (handsdown) was your biggest supporter!!! So big in fact that he got a bunch of strangers to root for ya!!! Anyways, Congrats on everything and, again, we're all proud of you!! Can wait to meet ya!!

Panch!!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks! I know...I'm not sure how I went about losing after my big poker win but it was alot of fun nonetheless! I can't wait to meet more of yall--Now that my social life has been reclaimed:-) I'm leaving again to go to DC on Sunday to meet President Bush on Monday morning with the other Paralympians and Olympians! Should be cool cuz Sunday night is a huge party!! I get back at 9 so maybe I'll make it to the end of poker night!

Kara

P.S. I am slowly but surely learnign to post!

• 6 months later...

tanni_visa-02b.jpg

Hey guys, just wanted to raise awareness about fellonw Hondonian & meta-human member KaraSwims & her imminent departure for Manchester, UK for the Paralympic Wolrld Cup, which the site says is:

a grand prix style multi-sport event. Providing the biggest international elite level disability competition outside of the Paralympic games. Over 350 athletes from 49 countries around the world have been invited to attend and will compete in 4 sports: Athletics, Swimming, Track Cycling and Wheelchair Basketball.

...ill be checking her site for updates on the road, as well as talkin with m'boy WhoDey about how things are going & try to post updates here as they come, but in the meantime, im hopin to see mad Hondonian support for our world-record breaking athelete! :D :D :D

ps if you really wanna feel like a slacker, she just got into Nova for their PhD program. On that note, im off to the gym. :D

Archived