Hondo's Bar

Infernal Affairs / The Departed

poster.jpg

Quentin Hopes to Work with Andy Lau

Quentin says he has watched all the 114 movies starring Andy Lau and is a fan of the Hong Kong star. Moreover, he has long been interested in Chinese films, and aims to invest in a cinema in Los Angeles dedicated to Hong Kong films. He also hopes to make movies with Andy Lau.

same article, but with picture..

• 11 months later...

Original-

infernalaffairs4.jpg

mptv1.gif

Scorsese Remake-

thedepartedtmphaut.jpg

Now being titled "The Departed" Shot on Location in Boston, Massachusetts.

Plot Outline: Two men from opposite sides of the law are undercover within the Boston State Police department and the Irish mafia, but violence and bloodshed boil when discoveries are made, and the moles are dispatched to find out their enemy's identities

Leonardo DiCaprio .... Billy Costigan

Matt Damon .... Colin Sullivan

Jack Nicholson .... Frank Costello

Martin Sheen .... Queenan

Vera Farmiga .... Madeleine

Mark Wahlberg .... Dignam

Anthony Anderson .... Brown

Ray Winstone .... Mr. French

Alec Baldwin .... Ellerby

matt-damon-departed-uniform01.jpg

He plays a Massachusetts State Police Trooper with "ties" to the Irish Mob in South Boston.

mattdamondeparteduniform043ho.jpg

Nicholson an Imposing Presence on the Set

Radaronline is reporting: "When Jack Nicholson finished filming his role in The Departed, Martin Scorsese’s upcoming gangster movie, we hear his fellow cast and crewmembers breathed a collective sigh of relief. "

"Studio sources say Nicholson went way beyond making occasional changes to the script, and would actually rewrite each day’s shoot—to the point where Scorsese was forced to shoot the actor’s doctored script before shooting his own version just to keep Nicholson happy. " READ the rest at RADARONLINE.com

Link

http://www.radaronline.com/fresh-intellige...07/22/index.php

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

infernal_affairs.jpg

Saw this one again the other night, showed it to Senshik who seemed to really love it, and La Lindsay who did not totally hate it...this is one of those that you really wanna show more people, cause Leung and Lau are at the top of their game, really great since Hard Boiled. A tad confusing at first, it seems, but the cinematography really knocks it outta the park, and the translation I have has some really great dialouge. Even the soundtrack worked here, really aided the suspense, which this one pulled off where so many ive seen failed...my offer (originally Spiffy's) to burn copies & send this one out to any interseted Hondonian still stands. Im just happy MM and a few of you have gotten to see it.

Cant wait for the US release in November. Man, i still gotta find/see part 3.

Infernal.Affairs.III.jpg

Seriously. YOu have to watch this movie. It puts the suspense in your pants! I was all about this. It reminded me of Face off but not really.

Infernal affairs rocked it. Two moles, same purposes: to feed info back to their bosses. One's an undercover cop and the other an undercover gangsta. Geniuos.

IC you have to show me the second part. Can't wait to check out the remake with Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon. Both quite the hotties... mmm... INternal affairs. haha.

Saw this one again the other night, showed it to Senshik who seemed to really love it, and La Lindsay who did not totally hate it...this is one of those that you really wanna show more people, cause Leung and Lau are at the top of their game, really great since Hard Boiled. A tad confusing at first, it seems, but the cinematography really knocks it outta the park, and the translation I have has some really great dialouge. Even the soundtrack worked here, really aided the suspense, which this one pulled off where so many ive seen failed...my offer (originally Spiffy's) to burn copies & send this one out to any interseted Hondonian still stands. Im just happy MM and a few of you have gotten to see it.

Cant wait for the US release in November. Man, i still gotta find/see part 3.

Oh really?

• 5 months later...

Well, its out, and according to RottenTomatoes.com, its getting high marks...gonna try to see this one next week (anyone else down?). Just lookin for opinions if anyone's caught it; again, the original is awesome, and a lineup of Nicholson, Damon & DiCaprio with Scorsese at the helm is nothing but good.

I'm pancho: Waaaaaa! crybaby.gif

So the movie was awesome, regardless of the fact that I was the last one to buy a ticket and had to be in the front row.

Best use of cursing to enhance dialogue since Clerks!

Favorite line:

Who the hell are you?

I'm the guy who did his fucking jab[sic]! You must be the othah guy!

Boston accents all done convincingly. The plot was very complex without being confusing, even in the end when it was getting convulted. Did know who was going to come out on top. And a preformance of our Marky Mark Walberg that not just didn't make me want to kill him, but made him my favorite character. Great cast all at the top of their game. My favorite Scorsese film since Goodfellas (though to be fair, I have seen all his post-Goodfellas stuff).

Oscar better recognize this year.

I just wanted to say that although the remake was good, the original was waaaaaaaaaay more moving... and the characters towards the end were way more believable, especailly Andy's character (played by Matt in remake).

Thigns I liked about The Departed:

The acting was superb. I give sooooooo much credit to Leo (such a hottie! :yup:) here because his performance was very convincing. I hope he gets a nomination for best actor or something... ON the other hand, Matt Damon didnt' convince me too much towards the end so he's not up there with Leo. Jack did an incredible performance, like always, out shinning his role. He scared me a bit...

Although the movie had great dialogue and hilarious moments, Mostly cuz of Mark and Alec, it also had a good amount of violence. My favorite moment was one of Alec's lines:

"Hey wanna smoke? what, you don't smoke? What, are you a health nut? Go fuck yourself."

Weakness:

Certain characters towards the end, fail to provide that emotional vibe that the original did so perfectly. Perhaps i'm judging too harshly because I think the original was way perfect... but,

All in all, I seriously give the movie 4 outta 5... mostly cuz of the acting, violence, and dialogue. I'd recommend anyone to check it out though, it's a fun movie.

Extra thoughts for those who show the film:

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Yeah, we talked bout it, my feelings were similar:

This is a Scorsese film. Its got Nicholson in a role he can play with all the eccintric/almost charicature things he likes doing, its got Leo, Damon, Marky Mark (who's really stepped it up acting wise in recent years, my opinion), Baldwin, Sheen, a lotta good actors across the board, its an irish setting and its largely faithful: the best scenes of Infernal Affairs are all here. I should love it, if not more than the original.

But, i dont. Its good, its just not as good as IA, and im not saying that in the snotty "the asian one/original was better!" way, cause ive seen retellings that were better - I was one of the few that dug The Ring more than Ringu, for instance.

The biggest differences, extended ending aside, are:

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

• 2 weeks later...

Upon reflection, my only criticism of this film is the use throughout of the song Gimme Shelter by the Rolling Stones. It was really lazy on Scorsese's part. Anything can instantly seem cool with Gimme Shelter playing over it. You cna play Gimme Shelter over any part of Bambi and it would make Bambi seem badass. Other than that...pure class.

Archived