Hondo's Bar

Outsourcing Hondo's

The NZA

Ok, so ive been working on 2 ideas for the last sections ive really sought to update/overhaul, and i think ive got somethin.

Chat: As seen here, there's obvious interest in a Hondo's chat being regularly opened for those who dont have the patience to reply to topics in crap shack, and we're all for ways to bring each other together, but weve gone through a series of failed programs.

So, rather than purchase/install another, we've got a few options.

1) Our servers provide a free, java-based one right here. It's not very pretty, and you can pretty much type your name as anyone...but it is free, and most folks should be able to run it.

2) We go with an outisde program that most of the board members interested in chatting have, such as AIM, ICQ, Yahoo, MSN etc. AIM seems to be the most popular, and Ruby says this line'll work as a sufficient link if you've the program installed:

aim:goChat?roomname=Hondos+Bar

..but again, i (and i think, others here) use Trillian, so that doesnt work for us. Still, we could just be online and be invited to the room by Metal or whoever's got it goin, lemme know what you guys think of these options.

Member List/Profiles:

Yeah, dante's gonna cry soon if he doesnt get some pics, but then again, its a big project he's looking to possibly undertake, and were still trying to work it into the bar theme.

Personally, the idea of a world map thing is cool, but its gonna be a lotta pins on south florida, and a few in other places...again, coudl be cool, i just dont want us to look like were only based here, or clique-ish. A theme's nice, too, but i want as many cool pics as you guys want to share; this kinda thing, ill make room on our servers for.

Only, Ive yet to see a solid template, and even then, id like you guys to be able to be creative with it, too. So, what do you think? Should we shoot for a bar, or some other theme, from our profile section? Or, what if we just linked to an outside site, like MySpace.com, where a growing number of members are already setting up pics, interests, etc? It doesnt look like theyre goin anywhere for awhile, so its an option, too...if nothing else, we could at least lift some of their ideas for profiles & customization & such.

I love all the feedback im gettin here....cmon, where should we deault our chat, and what do you think about member profiles? What would you like to see on a new form, more like MySpace, or just leave them over there, wha?

Hey, I really like the idea of a world map. I don't think it seems cliquish at all. I mean, you've got people from all over the US, UK, Australia, and apparently an arch-nemesis in Latvia (or possibly at dante's house :D ) I think it would be cool. Also what exactly does dante want to do with the profiles? Does it involve lens-flare? Will I have to learn how to upload a picture and send it via e-mail again?

...thank you for replying

Hah...hopefully he'll chime in on his current plans, but we'll use the pics we've got for now; any more you'd care to add, send em my way! Pics@hondosbar.com

No, i like the world map too, i just wanna still be able to have groups for preacher's, founding members, etc, give shout-outs to newbies, popular trolls, and the like.

I'm fine for whatever you want in the way of chat. Free is always a nice, fun thing!

and as for the myspace idea, I think you can create a community on there... and there's a message board of sorts. even though we prolly wouldn't use that much considering we have hondos? lol

and I dont' have any "OMG I'M TOTALLY NOT AWARE MY PHOTO IS BEING TAKEN" photos... and the ones i've seen i've ripped to shreds or deleted. b/c yeah. Buuuuut I have some photos that I'm not looking at the camera? so you can use those. I'll send to dante once i get them uploaded and shiz.

and I dont' have any "OMG I'M TOTALLY NOT AWARE MY PHOTO IS BEING TAKEN" photos... and the ones i've seen i've ripped to shreds or deleted. b/c yeah. Buuuuut I have some photos that I'm not looking at the camera? so you can use those. I'll send to dante once i get them uploaded and shiz.

I set one up to make like an espionage-type thing. All it takes is a dodgy hat, bottle of gin and a top-secret document. Bingo!

I think the world map is cool, the crowd is certianly international enough. A few Eastern Europeans wouldn't go astray though I'm sure, but never mind.

As for MySpace, I have no experiecne with that so can't really comment on that.

As for chat stuff, I would sign up for AIM or ICQ if people decide on what they want to go for. I'm currently on MSN so obviously my first choice. Can you have multiple people chatting on these programs together? Never tried it.

I think...doesn't Trillian offer group chats? Its been a while since I've used it 'cause of um, (personal reasons?) -- If everyone got Trillian, would that solve the prob? Since its a big merging...er, nevermind.

If you did a world map, Florida could take up half the US, and maybe tha'd balance it a bit. Would look interesting... And you forgot our new numbaa one Japanese fun-time member! Who eats babies.

Is the Java chat not workin' for anyone else or am I just the stupid not-installed Java man?

Yeah, i think were usin AIM, but in the chat thread in town square, RA points out an easy way to get in with Trillian, which i too use.

And no, plenty of people dont seem to have java, so fuck that...AIM till somethin better comes along.

dante, what do you think of the profile talk here?

Just to weigh in, I'm not terribly fond of the world map idea because, like you said, it would just end up having most of the pins in south Florida and...that kinda destroys to point of a world map idea...

The bar thing sounds pretty cool, though.

Now, you fucked up, cause now Da Cap'n is gonna find you there in dirty jerz for sure. So far, all he's had to go on was checkin seedy bars and askin for "John Ritter, mad merchant of all that is cock and ball", but now he's got you on GPS, its all over.

Im glad to get mroe feedback on the map idea...its gonna look pretty funny, youll have a ton of pins in south florida, and its gonna be like "oh, there's a group in texas! and look, there's tulipO, by herself over there..." But yeah, it could stil be cool, i just like havin my groups too. Im honestly more interested in just formatting the profile pages themselves at this point, but all of it sounds cool so far.

Hey, I really like the idea of a world map.  I don't think it seems cliquish at all.  I mean, you've got people from all over the US, UK, Australia, and apparently an arch-nemesis in Latvia (or possibly at dante's house  :D ) I think it would be cool.  Also what exactly does dante want to do with the profiles?  Does it involve lens-flare?  Will I have to learn how to upload a picture and send it via e-mail again?

Whoa, world map idea sounds cool.

Archived