Hondo's Bar

Ong-Bak

You may be seeing some TV commercials where the Rza from the Wu-tang clan is telling you to watch some action movie called Ong-Bak because it's the martial arts movie of the year. As usual, the Rza is right. You should watch this. Tony Jaa is indeed the next big asian martial arts star, and Ong-Bak is exactly what the martial arts genre needs right now.

Not only does Tony Jaa use Muy-Thai, and not kung fu like everyone else, but he uses no wires, and no special effects. Hell he was a gymnast before he was a stunt man. If you were going to compare him to any other action star it would definately be Bruce Lee. I say this because there's no gratuitious punches kick or jumps thrown in for theatrics. Its a few, extremely hard-hitting moves that really look like they hurt. It's hard to describe, but the fighting comes off as realistic. The moves are all logical, and the end result is a very different experience from watching a highly stylized martial arts film with lots of wirework and flair (not to say stuff like that is bad).

This is definately a movie for people who want something where people don't fly through the air unnaturally and perform humanly impossible feats. When Tony Jaa does something in ong-bak, you can be impressed, because he actually did it.

• 3 months later...

Ong-Bak.jpg

Junker & The RZA speak pretty highly of this one...it doesnt look to be about the story, but if youre interested:

A sacred Buddha statuette called Ong Bak is stolen from a rural village and it soon becomes the task of a young man, Boonting (Phanom Yeeram), to track the thief down to Bangkok and reclaim the religious treasure. Along the way, Boonting must use his astounding athleticism and traditional Muay Thai skills to combat his adversaries.

..the real hype behind it is the tagline: "No stunt doubles, no computer images, no strings attached." Tony Jaa is making a name for himself by going against the Jet Li/Woo Ping trend of wirework, and doing everything himself.

I dont know anything more than that yet, because ive been tryin to download this one to my POS computer for the last day and a half, and it keeps failing. That said: Dear LL...

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

I know KOS & some others dig good asian cinema too, im fairly certain this one's Thai...anyone else seen it?

Good poster, it illustrates that this movie, above anything else is about elbow.

There's a scene where the hero jumps on some goon and delivers multiple elbows to the head that brings me to tears. "Stop! Stop! He's already dead!"

• 4 weeks later...

So, Junker & the RZA were right, this was awesome.

Only LL stayed awake the whole time (almost....Ario X, Donut, Jax :D ), the plot is no more so than a Chan flick, but the action is unbelievable: lotta elbows, and way more Capauelo (sp) than i know from Muay Thai, but the best parts are the chase scenes throughout town.

My copy was a bit darker & hard to see on my monitor, but it got me in the mood for more kung-fu flicks, so ima try to find the old Shaolin ones soon. Anyway, this was cool: anyone whose ever dug Jet Li, Bruce, Chan, Chiba classics etc needs to give this one a go.

Next up from Junker's recommendations: Zebraman!

If you liked "Ong Bak", your sure to like/love the movie, "Tom-Yung-

Goong", starring Tony Jaa, of "Ong Bak". Here's a synopsis::D

A young fighter named Kham must go to Australia to retrieve his stolen elephant. With the help of a Thai-born Australian detective, Kham must take on all comers, including a gang led by an evil woman and her two deadly bodyguards.

Tom-Yung-Goong Website

tyg-poster-01.jpg

i gotta check that one out...

i agree w/ everyone else, ong-bak is the absolute shit. one of the things i thought was really cool is the instant replays from other angles for certain stunts. it saved me a lot of time rewinding.

• 3 years later...

Archived