Hondo's Bar

Spaced

The NZA

Spaced_screenshot_600px.jpg

10 minutes in, and im already enjoying this.....its from the Shaun of the Dead people (Shaun's a main character here), but wikipedia tells it better:

Spaced is concerned with the strange adventures of two twenty-somethings sharing a flat in London: Tim Bisley (Pegg), an aspiring comic book artist, and Daisy Steiner (Stevenson), an aspiring writer. In order to secure the (surprisingly cheap) lease of their flat they falsely tell landlady Marsha Klein (Julia Deakin) that they are a couple. Marsha, an ageing divorcée ex-groupie, lives upstairs in a haze of cigarette smoke with her teenage daughter Amber (a heard but unseen character apart from a few fleeting glimpses) and a regular supply of red wine. Also living in the house is conceptual artist Brian Topp (Mark Heap); regular visitors are Tim's army-reject pal Mike Watt (Pegg's former real-life flatmate Nick Frost) and Daisy's best friend Twist Morgan (Katy Carmichael), who "works in fashion". The regular cast is completed by Tim and Daisy's dog, Colin, and the characterful north London house known in the series as "23 Meteor Street".

anyone else seen this? I apparently have the entire first season all as one file, just under 3 hours. Does it hold up? Cause all the comic book shit alone is killing me.

I'm a big fan, I've got the season 1 and 2 boxset (doesn't look like there's gonna be a third :sad: ). Bucket and Jont are fans too, they'll have more to say about it.

Anyway, here's a bunch of quotes that I'd already posted in the Shaun of the Dead thread:

Duane: You know what they say about love and war, Tim.

Tim: Yeah, one involves a great deal of physical and emotional pain, and the other one's war.

---

Brian: Do you think i should lose the waistcoat?

Tim: I think you should burn the waistcoat, 'cos if you lose it, you might find it again.

---

Mike: Is that the first time you've seen him since....

Tim: Yes, i think that was pretty cool, you know i could have flown off the handle, i could have er...smashed his face in, i could have set fire to him but i didn't

Mike: What you gonna do when you see him next

Tim: I'm gonna set fire to him

---

In traffic jam, parody of 6th sense

Mike: There's been an accident, somebody got hurt.

Tim: Who?

Mike: A lady.

Tim: How do you know?

Mike: Because we hit her, that's her there.

---

Bilbo Bagshot : What about the Ewoks eh? They were rubbish. You don't complain about them.

Tim : Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like... fuckin'... Shaft!

---

Tim : You can't dangle the bogus carrot of possible reconciliation in front of my face whilst riding some other donkey.

---

Bilbo Bagshot : I used to know this guy, Minty. He had a dog who he'd train to attack rich people. He was into the whole class-war thing. He called the dog Gramsci after an Italian Marxist. Rumor has it, it could smell wealth from up to 20 feet. The thing is, it all backfired. Minty won 100 grand on a scratchcard and Gramsci bit his knees off.

Tim : That's terrible.

Bilbo Bagshot : Not really. He used the money to buy new knees.

---

Daisy : So who was this girl then?

Tim : Her name was Cassandra, she was a psychic, she gave me her phone number...

[hands Daisy a piece of paper]

Daisy : That's OUR phone number.

Tim : Man, she's good.

---

Tim : You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

---

Daisy : In the end, our relationship was just like a sandwich toaster. You know, you just forget you've got one. And it just sits there on the top of the cupboard collecting a layer of greasy fudge. And even if you do see it you just assume it's broken, you think if it's working I'd be using it all the time, but you don't and it just sits there. Then one day, you get an overwhelming desire for toasted sandwiches, you know? And you get it down and it works, and you can't believe it, you know? And then you make every kind of toasted sandwich there is, you have toasted sandwich parties. You make Marmite and cheese, chocolate and...

Tim : Pilchards.

Daisy : Banana and...

Bilbo: Acorns.

Daisy : Acorns. And then as quickly as the desire comes, it just goes. And then you put the toaster sandwich maker away. And, you know what?

Tim : What?

Daisy : You don't miss it.

Bilbo: So what you're saying is 'Don't hide the toasted sandwich maker away, use him regularly and you'll get the most out of him'.

Tim : No, she's saying 'Chuck your boyfriend, have a sandwich'.

Cause all the comic book shit alone is killing me.

Speaking of the comic stuff you've got to have loved the "We're having a sale on X-Men comics at the shop so Bilbo wanted me to draw Wolverine slashing prices with his adamantium claws" line.

Spaced, despite being only two seasons long, is still my favourite tv show ever. ^_^:2T:

I like season 2 even more IC, be curious to know what you think. Favourite is Sereis 2, episode 5, with the great Platoon spoof, Kiora commercial rendition, and great slowed down gun fights. Weeeeeeekeeed!!

Few more choice quotes off the top of my head:

Daisy: I see it as a tribute to Christo...the artist

Tim: I see it as a waste of Baco...the foil

Tim: Who's Vulva?

Brian: An old friend of mine

Tim: You've got a friend called Vulva? Who's called Vulva?

Brian: Her real name's Ian

Tim: What do you mean, her real name's Ian?

Brian: She's non-gender-specific

Tim: Oh what, you mean like a tranny?

Brian: More than that

Tim: What, a big fat tranny?

And on of my all-time faves --

Brian: That's chaos theory. The belief that the future is in fact a mathematically predictable preordained system.

Daisy: So somewhere out there in the vastness of the unknown there's an equation for predicting the future?

Brian: An equation so complex as to utterly defy possibility of comprehension by even the most brilliant human mind, but an equation nonetheless.

Tim: Oh my god...

Brian: What?

Tim: I've got some Fucking Jaffa Cakes in my coat pocket.

spaced.jpg

Haha...just got LL caught up on season 1, were gonna try to knock out season 2 this week. There's some eerie similiraties between our situation & characters, but anyway....watching it again? Mike is fucking awesome.

SB - Here's as good a start as any.

ps on a sidenote, MLB m'man, just finished downloading Partridge season 1...youre batting like a thousand right now for recommendations, cant wait to check it out.

• 6 months later...

this show is possibly the best thing ever to grace my hard drive/dvd/ channel 4. its not exactly balls out funny but you cant help but keel over laughing at lines like "you shot me in the bollox tim.... no hard feelings...."

the pegg meister is the shit, and is complimented by a cast of intensely talented actors....

oddly enough, nick frost got this job with no prior acting experience soelly on the basis that he was simon peggs room mate...

• 2 weeks later...

Brian is my favoritest person ever ever EVAR. Especially when he's a little happy.

"Whatcha doin', Brian?"

"Trying to... avoid... cliches... by not actually... using... my brush?!"

"So... how're you doing it, then?"

"I'm using my penis."

"About time, then."

• 4 months later...

ly, id suggest isohunt, if not i'll link you to some torrents on demonoid....

and nick, appearently there's season three in the pipeline, but its the definite last series after that... simon pegg and nick frost have been busy on their new movie [plug] HOT FUZZ!![/plug] which looks unbelievably funny....

i myself long for a third series until then i have the wonders of season one and two and shaun of the dead to tide myself over...

ly, id suggest isohunt, if not i'll link you to some torrents on demonoid....

and nick, appearently there's season three in the pipeline, but its the definite last series after that... simon pegg and nick frost have been busy on their new movie [plug] HOT FUZZ!![/plug] which looks unbelievably funny....

i myself long for a third series until then i have the wonders of season one and two and shaun of the dead to tide myself over...

That's funny, I just (finally) registered on demonoid today... *looks at DOJ suspiciously*

Yeah, I figured I'd see if anyone knew of any good torrents, since so many can be stuck at a certain percentage, or have something else wrong with them. If you know of any good ones, then please share (I'd greatly appreciate it). If not, that's cool, just thought I'd check first.

• 3 weeks later...

Spaced is one of the greatest pieces of comedy writing ever. Endlessly repeatable, I can never get sick of it. Season 3, long wished for by fans, is not something I'm sure will ever be made.

And really, do we need it? Series 2 ended on such a balanced episode, a mirror of episode 1 of the first series (look for the multitude of references back to it), and a perfect resolution.

What would be worse, Spaced fans? To never see another new episode? Or to sit through 6 forced, tired examples of milking the formula for a quick ratings payout? This is the plague of revisiting old favourites, and if the magic isn't there (and who knows if it can be, when you've so much to live up to?), then I'd rather let it remain forever perfect in our memories than to spoil its good name.

That said, I'd happily watch Simon Pegg reading a dictionary for hours on end if need be. I greedily devour whatever he produces, and you can make any kind of psycho-sexual inference from that that you want. Legend.

Oh, I'd also recommend Black Books, from the same Channel 4 stable as Spaced. These sitcoms employ some of the same actors - Black Books has Bill Bailey as a main star, 'Dwayne' (aka the voice of Darth Maul) from Spaced is in it, and Lord Pegg himself turns up in one episode. And the main character, a drunken Irish slob of a book store owner played by Dylan Moran (Shaun of the Dead) is genius.

• 1 month later...

Spaced is simply one of the greatest shows ever made. The writing is impeccable and the performances razor sharp.

As for Simon Pegg reading the dictionary. I agree! The man has the gift of making anything he does infinitely watchable. He was on the Johnathan Ross Show with David Schwimmer last week promoting Big Nothing and he totally stole the show. Heres a rough transcript of something that proves his genius:

Johnathan Ross: I heard that David Schwimmer has been voted the no. 1 sexiest Jewish man in the world. Second was Woody Allen.

David Schwimmer: *Modest giggling*

JR: Thats right!

Simon Pegg: Well i was eighth on the Agnostic poll...

*uproar of laughter from audience*

• 1 year later...

Thanks to Nick for pimpin' this show to me! Great stuff! Makes you realize that Shawn of the Dead was more than just Romero movie jokes! Now, I wanna go back and get the FULL Shawn expierence. Nick might not get this box set back... happy birthday to me!

Fans of Spaced beware, there's a crappy US version currently in development. Here's Simon Pegg's bitter take on the news:

Now that the pilot has been officially announced, I thought it might be a good idea to clarify my position on the subject.

The whole affair seems to have inspired some spirited debate and some heartening displays of loyalty and love. All this for a show which is almost 10 years old, is all rather wonderful and a vindication of all the blood, sweat and tears (both of joy and pain) we shed in the show’s creation.

It was always our aim to create a comedy which spoke to its audience on such a personal level, it almost felt one on one. It would seem the fan reaction to the news that Fox has appropriated the format, confirms at least, that we succeeded.

As far as remaking TV shows for different territories is concerned, I don’t have a problem. The Office remake being a perfect example.

Yes, the original British version is a wonderful and compact piece of comedy writing and performance, but I think it’s bit much to expect a large scale American television audience to fully relate to the minutiae of day-to-day business life in an obscure British suburb.

I’m sure if you’re reading this, you are the type of person who takes pleasure in the variety of entertainment you enjoy, relishing the differences between our various cultural touchstones but there is a massive audience out there, which perhaps isn’t as culturally savvy (euphemistic phrase for ‘geeky’) as we are and need their signifiers to be a little more familiar.

So, Slough is replaced by Scranton, and the office archetypes become a little more archetypal to an American audience. The spirit of the show remains intact. The performances are uniformly great and the show scores big ratings and wins EMMYs, whether we as comedy purists prefer the original or not. The success of the remake is born out by its undoubted success and appeal.

My main problem with the notion of a Spaced remake is the sheer lack of respect that Granada/ Wonderland/Warner Bros have displayed in respectively selling out and appropriating our ideas without even letting us know.

A decision I can only presume was made as a way of avoiding having to give us any money, whilst at the same time using mine and Edgar’s name in their press release, in order to trade on the success of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, even professing, as Peter Johnson did, to being a big fan of the show and it’s [sic] creators. A device made all the more heinous by the fact that the press release neglected to mention the show’s co-creator and female voice, Jessica Hynes (nee Stevenson).

The fact is, when we signed our contracts ten years ago, we had neither the experience or the kudos to demand any clauses securing any control over future reversioning. We signed away our rights to any input in the show’s international future, because we just wanted to get the show made and these dark days of legal piracy seemed a far away concern.

As a result, we have no rights. The show does not belong to us and, those that do own it have no obligation to include us in any future plans. You would perhaps hope though, out of basic professional respect and courtesy, we might have been consulted. It is this flagrant snub and effective vote of no confidence in the very people that created the show, that has caused such affront at our end.

If they don’t care about the integrity of the original, why call it Spaced? Why attempt to find some validation by including mine and Edgar’s names in the press release as if we were involved? Why not just lift the premise? Two strangers, pretend to be a couple in order to secure residence of a flat/apartment. It’s hardly Ibsen. Jess and I specifically jumped off from a very mainstream sitcom premise in order to unravel it so completely. Take it, have it, call it Perfect Strangers and hope Balkie doesn’t sue. Just don’t call it Spaced.

It’s a shame, since the pilot is now a certainty, whether we like it or not, a simple phone call and a few reassurances might have helped to at least curtail the tide of indignation from fans and creators alike. I have, as of yet, heard nothing.

-Simon Pegg

Archived