Hondo's Bar

Ultimate Avengers - The Movie

APANCHALYPSE NOW

ultimateavengers.jpg

So through my... *ahem* exclusive means I have in my possession a copy of Ultimate Avengers - The Movie (having worked at Anime Hurricane helps)! And let me tell you that it is 90 minutes of Marvel awesomeness!

Based (mostly) on Millar and Hutch's (now classic) 1st re-vamped Avengers arc, The Ultimates, this movie kicks ass! "Who's the chick with the hammer?" Henry Pym/ Giant-Man, refering to the long blonde Thor as he saves the team from a rapaging Hulk! This movie is a must for any Avengers fan! Shit, any COMIC fan!! It comes out Feb 21, but if you're interested... I'll get with Nick and we'll send ya a copy! The line-up includes Cap, Nick Fury, Iron-Man, Black Widow, Giant-Man (Ant-Man cameo), Wasp, Thor and the Hulk! This movie was fun as hell and very well made! Man, what a flick!

Heard the subject matter's been toned down a bit to make it more cartoon-friendly (ie, no wife beating) but it does look good and I'll buy it just to do my part to show Marvel that the Ultimate line is marketable past the comics. Bring on Ultimates the Live Action Movie!

Just finished watching "Ultimate Avengers" and I must say that it was rather sweet. Definitly worth checking out on tuesday. They did alot better than I thought they would.

If you've read the book the following isn't gonna be a spoiler for you, but if not....

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

If this is the quality of all the Marvel DTV movies we're definitly in for a treat for a while.

B000CEVC9M.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Yes, yes, yes! Bring us a live action! Please make up for Fantastic Four!

Yeah, it's toned down, but it still doesn't pull any punches! It actually perfect! I really liked this flick! I haven't been this excited about an animated comic movie since Batman - Mask of the Phantasim! And before that, the GI Joe and Transformer movies! In the Special Features it shows a little extra on the Ultimate Avengers 2 Movie! It's got a little Wakandian featured!

Yeah, Nick, I was trying to call you yesterday so we can watch it, but something about minutes...

yes. now leave me alone.

alright, this was awesome, way better than i was expecting. fuck that fangirl, it was pretty in-line with the book, too. i was afraid thor'd be wanky, but by the final fight, it all came together - voice acting worked, story was interestin, animation was great, and just seein the team come together was definitely worth it.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

on a side note, anyone know when the fuck ultimates # 10 comes out? now im really in the mood for that shit.

Yeah I saw it. I thought the animation was pretty good and most of the voice work was spot-on (except for Bruce Banner...when did he go from meek science nerd with low self-esteem to Willem Dafoe?) but the story just didn't really impress me at all. It was too Saturday morning for me, too much mindless action, not enough of the character moments that really made the comic great. I mean, if their intention was to simply make a Saturday morning cartoon version of The Ultimates, they did a great job, but all the promotional material and and behind-the-scenes stuff seems to be trying to say they wanted this to be a "great movie". Aside from a couple cool fight scenes, it was a kid's movie basically (and rated PG-13? for what?) and I think The Ultimates comic that Millar and Hitch created deserves just a little bit more maturity. Again, if that was their intention from the beginning they should've just been upfront about it, but I was picking it up hoping for something with just a little more depth. Even a cartoon based off a comic book can have some depth, look at Mask of the Phantasm. When it comes to comic cartoons, even six Ultimates couldn't beat a single Batman in my opinion.

And sadly Ultimates II looks even less impressive but hell, I'll probably pick it up anyway.

And was Thor's facial hair so hard to animate? He looks like such a pansy!

see, i guess i didnt see any such pitch, cause it was exactly what i was expecting...i didnt expect any characterization in an hour and a half worth of like 5 or 6 characters, beyond Cap's talking about how shit done changed and all. The only mature stuff missing was the wife-beating and such, and i had no such illusions about it being in there.

I dunno, man...i went in looking for a bunch of cool charcters being up on nazi aliens, and mebbe the Hulk, so i go twhat i was shooting for. For me, Ultimates is great, but its still a book about guys like Captain America fighting guys named Crimson Dynamo and yelling about how A doesnt stand for France.

See, then it's mostly just an issue of us liking the comic for different things. What I love about is how it modernizes the superhero team, throwing in interesting info that hasn't been mentioned before like the corporate sponsoship and the celebrity status and the movie deals. I like that the comic took time (something the movie never did - take time) to set up the workings of the characters and the team so that you actually cared about them before they started beating up on aliens. I didn't care about any of the characters in the movie. Hell, I didn't even like most of them except maybe Cap and the six-lines-of-dialogue Tony Stark (sometimes) because nothing in the movie gave me reason to like them other than the fact that they're beating up aliens for the freedom of mankind or something like that. They didn't take any time to set up anything, not even the costumes. One minute Cap is walking around in his civvies, the next he's walking out of a helicopter in full Captain America costume. Do you really think a real movie about these characters would have missed a great iconic opportunity like the introduction of the costume for what is supposed to be America's greatest hero? It was all just about guys beating up aliens and it could have been so much more. I guess with the great writing in the comics, I just expected too much. Maybe the industry still isn't ready to reach out to anyone but the 12-18 demographic.

Pancho lent me the movie and I just finished it. As someone who hasn't read The Ultimates, here's my take:

Good, but it seemed liek it should have been the 3-part series premiere for an animated series. It felt like the 3-part series premiere for Bruce Timm's Justice League series. It even had Alien invaders with similar powers and a whole city nearly leveled by the end, just liek the JL 3-parter. Of course, I love that series, so that's nothing but praise.

I give it 4 out of 5 Hammers of Thor.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw this a couple of days ago, and I enjoyed it, but find myself agreeing with SiBob. This could have been a hell of a lot more. When I first saw the trailer and heard that this project was coming I was psyched as hell. I've never been a huge Marvel fan, but I loved the Ultimate line, and the Ultimates was always my favorite book of that set. From some of the early art and stuff I think I was just expecting a heck of a lot more, not to mention with the PG-13 rating and all, more than the saturday morning treatment that this one got.

Things I likes and disliked:

1) Cap felt way too young to me. He just didn't have the confidence of Cap from the comics, and he felt kinda incongruent with the Cap from earlier in the movie.

2) The Pyms were OK, though generally mere shadows of their former selves. Hank went from the tortured asshole to just an asshole, and there seemed to be even less of a reason for wasp this time around.

3) Natasha just felt off, can't explain how, though her scene with Tony was choice.

4) Iron Man, too much time wasted on the identity thing, I have no idea why in the name of god they did that storyline change, there was absolutely NO reason for it. Stark was a cool cat, but they just lost all of his motivations.

5) Fury was cool, though not as badass as the brother needs to be.

6)Thor was OK, though they should have left the goatee. I miss his friendship with Stark though.

7)Banner/Hulk/Ross - oy, probably my biggest problem with the movie. Banner was too tough, and Betty was completely neutered as a character. The Hulk was a fun fight to watch, but half of what made the Hulk great in the comics was the dialogue, and there was none here.

8)The animation was great though. Once you got used to the changes, it wasn't that bad. Hate the circles on Cap's shoulders though.

Overall, it just seems like a ton of wasted potential. This movie is barely PG, nowhere near the PG-13 it was advertised as. Maybe it was me for expecting it to be closer to the comic, but damn it, it could have been. None of the changes made were for the better, the characters were all 1 dimensional, and while the fights were fun to watch, it was just way too Saturday morning overall. I just can't tell who they were aiming for, especially when now more than ever there is a maket for true mature animation in the US. This could have been Marvel's anwer to Return of the Joker or Mask of the Phantasm, instead it just feels like a hipper version of the Marvel cartoons from the mid 90's.

Hey, some of those Marvel cartoon of the 90s were kick ass... and I shal never see them again to maintain this dillusion I have from my childhood (I regret ever having re-watched the original transformers). But as for the Ultimates movie, yea, it was pretty weak, I'd almost say give it over to that McFarlane guy and have him do it like the animated Spawn Series.

Yep, I agree with just about everything bishop said. Though, I thought Natasha's character was actually one of the better ones, her accent came across as toon Boris/Natasha, less Black Widow/Natasha...and I thought her little heart-to-heart with Cap was a little cheesy. Normally, I don't think that character would even give a second glance to a man acting as whiny and unsure as Cap was at that point. And honestly, like Fury wouldn't have known Iron Man's identity? C'mon. I just had a lotta little issues with it, but it was fun for what it was.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived