Hondo's Bar

Drink Guinness, it's good for you!

bostano

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Westmalle is belgian... and a mighty fine beer too... a definite one/two bottle and thats it kinda beer...

Tyskie... where do i start.. endless amounts of hazy nights have ensued after 6/7 of these.... Polish beer, and a damn fuckin good one at that... its a perfect "long hard day i need a beer" kinda beer, really crisp, refreshing and drinkable... strong too.. get ya proper fucked....

Maisels Weisse is german, a wheat beer, the way wheat beers should be, its heavy/ish and has a lingering sweet aftertaste, one of my first beers i fell in love with.....

but man, nasturo azzuri... what a beer, its just beautiful, goes great with italian food and you can knock the shit back like its nobodys business, tastes brilliant too.....

as for heineken being better than miller.... not in my opinion, i like miller a good bit

heineken better than bud... hell my fermented urine is better than bud, same goes for stella..... it is an Ok beer, but its not something i would buy...

well if the meetup happens, im sure we can drop into the porter house and have a few... or would it more more of a nightclub (dear god no) kinda thing...

but yeah, nasturo azzuri is the bulmers of beers.... but id rather a koppaberg/druids mixed fruit or pear over bulmers.... not a big fan of traditional cider..... and oh... another thing i'm really into is strawberry cider... a company "brothers" do a few odd fruit ciders, lemon and lime, pear, strawberry (awesome)

reading back on all of this, i either, A, sound like a walking beer encyclopedia, or B, a raging alcoholic who likes classy beer....

• 5 months later...
Guinness is pretty much London based anyway now... I love the stuff. They say you have to wait about 20 minutes after it's poured off tap for the perfect pint. Fuck waiting that long though...

Actually, all the guinness thats now in the UK is brewed in St Jame's Gate, Dublin, and exported over.

It was a commercial decision they (Diageo) took a while back.

The Guinness brewery in Park Royal, London closed in 2005. The production of all Guinness sold in the UK was switched to St. James's Gate Brewery Dublin. People in the UK had previously stated that Irish brewed Guinness tasted much better than that brewed in London.

20 minutes? Man it'd be fucked by then, unless you took one mouthful, then left it. Thats what my dad does sometimes, esp at last orders when we treble up!

If you ever get a guiness and you see that no one else is drinking it, you should ask em to pull off a pint first then give you the next one, as the guinness has been sat in the lines. (Used to be a barman) Then you'll get nice fresh guinness

four, most pubs i go to don't sell good pints and dont take care of their taps

I know this is going back a while, but if you get a shit pint of guinness its normally down to how it was poured etc.

I doubt its a case of the above as Guinness send out a team to every pub in Ireland to clean the lines and check em and shit...

american beer is the shit, i love miller and coors (shut up).

Ye fucked up bud though, i had some of the real and original budwiser in prague recently which is called Budwar, very nice.

Guiness taps being cleaned is very important to the taste, and not all of them are cleaned as frequently as they should be.

ssshhh, don't let doj hear ya!!

American beer i find is great for starting off (i know i started on Bud), but ive personally moved onto Belgian/German, and Dutch beer. I drink Heineken on draft when i'm out, unless i can get the likes of Hoegaarden on draft.

Budvar (the original budweiser) is lovely, thats most likely what you had in Prague, but the Bud we know is crap, full of additives, gives a nasty hangover and tastes like piss, not that i'd know what that tastes like. Anyway, i think Miller Genuine Draft is ok. Plus you can pick it up cheap enough, coors? is that coors light? Its not bad, but its not great either, some of the Michelob stuff is good though.

If the Guinness Lines are cleaned regularly you should always get a good pint, also depends on the person pulling the pint and the length the guinness has to travel from barrel to tap, if a pub has the guinness kegs close by the guinness is nicer, i base this theory on anecdotal evidence, plus i know someone who owns a bar where the lines only are 10 feet from tap to keg, and the guinness there is class!

Speaking of Guinness...

redguinness_228x367.jpgGuinness is going out of the black and into the red. But devotees of Ireland's national tipple need not worry, the world-famous brewer is not going bust - it is about to produce a red version of its stout.

Guinness Red is the latest variant to be developed by the good folk in Dublin. Hops, water and yeast are combined as usual but the barley is lightly roasted, giving it a rich red complexion.

This gives the drink a 'well balanced, bittersweet character', the brewers claim. The new stout will contain similar alcohol levels to the other versions of Guinness, about 4.1 per cent, and will also cost the same. It will keep its distinctive white head and will require the same patience-testing two-step pour.

The rosey tipple is being tested in a number of pubs across Britain. But a spokeswoman for parent company Diageo admitted there were no plans to market the 'red stuff' in Ireland. She said: "It is being tested on a limited basis but Guinness Red is only intended for the British market."

It is the first major new product launch by Guinness in Britain since it brought out its 'Extra Cold' variety in 1999. There are three Guinness variants currently on sale: Draught, Original and Foreign Extra Stout.

In Ireland, the firm is testing a version called Guinness Mid- Strength, which has an alcohol content of 2.8 per cent by volume.

Sales of its stouts in Britain are running at a record £1billion a year. And Guinness recently became the fourth most popular draught beer in British pubs by volume sales.

But industry experts have questioned whether Diageo can continue to boost sales in saturated markets.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived