Hondo's Bar

So... what are you watching?

Lycaon

http://www.keiichianimeforever.com/anime/o...nime/index.html

I think you had seen this site earlier... I accidently posted it on another thread. Anyone who hasn't check it out should, that is if you are into anime. THey have a shit load of anime on there. Just click on the particular one, then click on the episode desired, and poof you're watching anime!

That's what I'm watching now. And also as The Nick gets his ass kicked on Def Jam.

SUCKER!

Im just about to beat Ice-T now that im gettin the hang of these controls. bring your hoes, ill smack em 3 at a time

Im sittin on a bunch of anime here:

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Ninja Scroll: the series

Steamboy

Seriel Exeperiments Lain

Gungrave

Hellsing

Peace Maker Kurogane

Last thing i watched the whole way trhough was Azumanga Daioh, and that was hilarious. i think Lain's next for me, finally in order. Then mebbe Gungrave or something - which do you recommend?

http://www.keiichianimeforever.com/anime/o...nime/index.html

I think you had seen this site earlier... I accidently posted it on another thread. Anyone who hasn't check it out should, that is if you are into anime. THey have a shit load of anime on there. Just click on the particular one, then click on the episode desired, and poof you're watching anime!

That's what I'm watching now. And also as The Nick gets his ass kicked on Def Jam.

SUCKER!

Can you download any of those?

Im just about to beat Ice-T now that im gettin the hang of these controls. bring your hoes, ill smack em 3 at a time

Im sittin on a bunch of anime here:

Steamboy

Seriel Exeperiments Lain

Gungrave

Hellsing

Peace Maker Kurogane

Last thing i watched the whole way trhough was Azumanga Daioh, and that was hilarious. i think Lain's next for me, finally in order. Then mebbe Gungrave or something - which do you recommend?

Any of the series I've posted about here. What types do you like?

House MD, Season 1. Man, this guy is hysterical.

Who? What?

Seriously, you're talkin' gibberish there.

no no, ive read the ones youve posted here mostly, im talkin bout the short list i posted, do you recommend any of them to be seen first? casue if not, im thinkin lain, then mebbe gungrave or GITS: SAC.

Ok.

Haven't seen yet, unfortunately.

Seen the first episode: different artist, didn't get into the series immediately, and put it off for a while. Should probably watch this at some point.

Steamboy

Haven't seen it yet, but I've heard good things about it.

Seriel Exeperiments Lain

I need to finish watching this series, but it's good.

Gungrave

Haven't watched yet, and don't know much about it.

Hellsing

Pretty decent. From what I hear, not as good as the manga. There are rumors of more episodes coming.

Peace Maker Kurogane

Only got to see a couple of epsiodes, but looked enjoyable. Let me know how it is.

Ultimately, it all depends on what you prefer. Of what I've seen, I'd say this: If you're in the mood for action and comedy, try Peace Maker Kurogane. Serial Experiments Lain is really good as well, though (if you're not in mood for action).

Dai Guard - office workers saving the world!

It was an ambitious program: to build a giant walking robot to battle the giant inter-dimensional alien life forms that have suddenly descended upon the earth like a plague. But just as the Dai Guard becomes operational the aliens up and disappear. With an inefficient, money consuming, and enemy specific war-machine just gathering dust the government sells it back to the contractors that built the thing and the company gives the robot to its PR division. Ten years later the aliens return and Dai Guard is needed once again but the only people able to operate the robot are young Public Relations Executives who only take the thing out to conventions and don't have the budget approval to fight the giant aliens. Of course the military doesn't take kindly to the fact that a bunch of civilians are doing their job for them. Much hilarity ensues.

• 1 month later...

The Grave of FireFlies

An anime based entirely on flashbacks? Just how good could it possibly be? Well, I am here to tell you that it can be a great way to do things if the story and the characters are strong enough to pull it off. With Grave of FireFlies, we are able to see both aspects, as we follow the life of main character Seita through a series of flashbacks. The film actually starts with his death, so you aren't really sure what to expect, but by the end of the film you truly see how tragic his death was. The movie takes place in Japan near the end of WWII, and centers around Seita and his sister Setsuko. Orphaned in a flashback, we watch as the siblings must traverse through a war-torn country, doing anything they can to possibly survive. But, we know in the end that at least one of them won't. This is a beautifully crafter, character driven story, that is tough to watch, yet leaves a big impact when you have reached its conclusion. It's no surprise that it garnered many awards.

• 2 weeks later...

Kimagure Orange Road TV, I finished vol. 10 a night or so ago, probably kick through the rest tonight.

SUperman: The Animated Series vol 3: The DCAU rocks as usual, and this volume has some great episodes. I was amazed at how much of a downer the show ends on, but great stuff.

I'm going to start watching Justice League Season 2 tomorrow. I have high hopes for it. Season 1 was decent, and had flashes of absoute brilliance. I hear the second season is far better.

Grave of the Firelflies is probably the single saddest movie (animated or otherwise) that I have ever seen. Seriously it is amazing. You can find it for fairly cheap nowadays, though I would try to get it soon because I hear that Central Park Media (the company that released it) is going out of business soon.

Taking place toward the end of World War II in Japan, Grave of the Fireflies is the poignant tale of the relationship between two orphaned children, Seita and his younger sister Setsuko. The children lose their mother in the firebombing of Kobe, and their father in service to the Imperial Japanese Navy, and as a result they are forced to try to survive amidst widespread famine and the callous indifference of their countrymen (some of whom are their own extended family members).
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

The movie provides an insight into Japanese culture by focusing its attention almost entirely on the personal tragedies that wars give rise to, rather than seeking to glamorize it as an heroic struggle between competing ideologies.

In common with other Studio Ghibli productions, the movie is noteworthy for the high quality of its design and artwork.

Its initial theatrical release was accompanied by Hayao Miyazaki's much more lighthearted My Neighbor Totoro as a double feature.

In the early days of the anime club at FIU I brought this in to show. During the movie and afterwards the theater was completely silent. Now back in the day the club was notorious for being loud as hell during any movie, and tossing out comments. Not this time, the ENITRE theater, some 70-80 people by my esitmation, was either in tears, or on the verge of them.

You owe it to yourself to see this movie at least once.

The only thing i watch now-a-days is BLEACH. Naruto fillers suck and no other anime has managed to catch my attention....i should start looking for more shyt. But i did managed to catch up with old stuff a few months back....I didnt have time to watch jack while up in Detroit...and its kinda getting like that right now...U__U

Macross Zero

Macross Zero is an anime prequel OVA to The Super Dimension Fortress Macross consisting of five episodes. It is set nine years after the fall of an alien spaceship on Earth and one year before Space War I, the first large-scale extraterrestrial war. The alien space ship, which would later be rebuilt and rechristened SDF-1 Macross, caused the formation of U.N. government and helped triggered the U.N. Wars. Amidst the violence, a U.N. F-14 pilot named Shin Kudo is attacked by strange enemy aircraft that can transform into robots. Crashing down, but surviving, on Mayan Island he learns that this remote island and its peaceful native inhabitants hold a great secret linking them to the alien space ship and would become the focus of the war, whether they like it or not. Roy Focker, a major character from the original Macross also makes an appearance in this series.

Fooly Cooly

FLCL is an esoteric production whose odd style, hyperactive pace, and obscure plot logic sets it apart from other contemporary anime. There are many hidden meanings underneath its surface. FLCL could be categorized as a comedy, drama, soap opera, and/or science fiction. Its comedic side is most noticeable, as it satirizes pop culture icons such as John Woo and South Park, not to mention other anime such as Neon Genesis Evangelion (which was also produced by Gainax), Lupin III, and Hamtaro. FLCL also brings up minor but notable pop references such as the Tomino Hammer which is referring to Yoshiyuki Tomino's original Mobile Suit Gundam series including an unrealistic hammer weapon in a relatively plausible Real Robot Universe. FLCL also parodies slightly nostalgic Japanese culture itself, by switching styles to traditional kabuki at one point, presenting now defunct brands of drinks, Japanese style bread, and nostalgic 3-wheeled automobiles that were prominent in Post-war Japan. Puns and sexually suggestive metaphors fly freely. However, its comedic elements at times overshadow what is, at its core, a coming of age story. The stranger elements often reflect the confusion and awkwardness of puberty (or possibly of life in general), often incorporating very, very heavy Freudian imagery to express this change; (fans with some knowledge of psychology often have a field day picking psychological symbols out of the seemingly irrational action of FLCL.)

Turn A Gundam

Gundam tells the story of a war between space colonists calling themselves the Moonrace who wish to colonize Earth, and the Earth Militia forces, which use the ancient Turn A Gundam to retaliate. ∀ Gundam is a dramatic depature from the franchise in many ways. Instead of being set in an era of high technology, it is set in a future that has regressed to the early 20th century. Also, the unorthodox design of the title Mobile Suit comes courtesy of American Syd Mead, best known for his work on Blade Runner. The series also features the musical talents of Yoko Kanno. The series finished its run in early 2000, and in 2002 Tomino directed two compilation films, entitled "Earth Light" and "Moonlight Butterfly."

It is important to note that the "Turn A" (∀) in the title of the series is the universal quantifier used in discrete mathematics meaning roughly "all units in a set". Thus, the title can be translated as For all Gundams. This is neither an oversight, nor just arbitrarily selected symbol used for athsetic purposes - Gundam creator Tomino clearly intended the series to be a sort of "unification" of the Universal Century and the myriad "alternate universes" into a coherent whole.

V Gundam

The series is set in UC 0153, and succeeds the Federation and Crossbone Vanguard conflict of Gundam F-91. Therefore, it takes place well after the events of the Earth Federation versus Principality of Zeon conflict (which could be said to have ended with Char's Counterattack).

The greatly weakened Earth Federation comes under attack by the BESPA forces of the spaceborn Zanscare Empire; only the AEUG-like League Militaire stands in their way. The mass-produced Victory Gundam is the League Militaire's secret weapon against the invading BESPA.

Gundam Zeta

Zeta Gundam takes place in UC 0087, seven years after the end of the One-Year War. After the events of Operation Stardust, which is told in Gundam 0083, the Earth Federation establishes an elite division called the Titans to hunt down the remaining pockets of Zeon resistance. The Titans become overzealous in their mission, and start to use brutal methods to reach their goals. In the end Titans become nothing more than ruthless tyrants with an ambition to rule the Earth Sphere. Two resistance groups, the AEUG (Anti-Earth Union Group/Anti-Earth United Government) and their earthbound counterparts, the Karaba (led by Mobile Suit Gundam's Hayato Kobayashi); form to unite the various existing small forces in the struggle against Titans. Their members consist of renegade soldiers of the Earth Federation Space Forces, former soldiers of Principality of Zeon, and militia from space colonies, which causes the former enemies of the original series' One Year War to fight together against the Titans and the Federation. Most notable is Bright Noa, who returns as captain of the assault space carrier Argama, the flagship of AEUG space fleet. Char Aznable and Kamille Bidan are both ace pilots aboard Argama. Furthermore, Char become a mentor to Kamille. The series also sees the partnership and cooperation between Kamille and Amuro, and Amuro and Char. Behind the frontline, the resistance group AEUG and Karaba are supported by many companies on Earth and in Space, lead by Anaheim Electronics, a Moon-based giant manufacturing company. Besides financial support, Anaheim Electronics also provides logistics and technical supports for AEUG, including spaceships, mobile suits, and munitions.

Eureka Seven

Renton Thurston is the fourteen-year-old son of Adrock Thurston, a military researcher who died saving the world. He lives what he considers a boring life with his mechanic grandfather in a boring town. He loves reffing, the sport of riding atmospheric trapar particles with a board. He dreams of joining the crew of the renegade Gekkostate and its leader, the legendary lifter Holland.

Just such an opportunity literally falls into his lap when a special LFO called Nirvash, and a member of Gekkostate, crashes into his grandfather’s shop. Thanks in part to his use of his father’s Amita Drive to power up the Nirvash in a crucial fight, Renton is invited to join Gekkostate, where he quickly discovers that the behind-the-scenes life of Gekkostate is hardly so glamorous or interesting as he imagined. Only one thing makes it all worthwhile for him: the presence of Eureka, the mysterious and rather cute girl who pilots Nirvash.

The story revolves around Renton's budding relationship with Eureka, the female pilot of the LFO Nirvash typeZERO, and the mystery of the Coralians, sentient beings that inhabit the planet.

I'm still buying/Downloading some anime.

Not really a fan of Macross or Gundam...the mech think never floated with me...Saw FCLC...kool....and i saw a little bit of Eureka Seven, i guess i should see more (thus far, the first intro song was great. FLOW's a kool band.) its kool some still watch shows.

• 3 months later...

Archived