Hondo's Bar

The Boys

The NZA

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meaning Ennis' work is pretty random & gratuidous when compared to anything he does with SD(shit, look at Knights punisher during & after Dillon's departure). What worries me is the out-preacher Preacher statement referring strictly to pushing boundaries. Any fucking hack can churn out guts & sodomy with a smile(it only got Peter Milligan so far- I kid, X-Force was great but X-Statix lost it's way about 12 issues in). I want that shit I'll talk to the little psychopaths inna internet cafes. My initial impression of that statement was epic scope(my first thought when I think Preacher), and the book's no doubt gonna be solid for it's run, I just hope the need to make sodomy jokes & WS editors cringe doesn't get inna way of a good story. :pinch:

i agree, i got the same concerns. The preacher comment i figured was for the Wizard crowd, who think the book is all about arseface, meatwomen and shock value moments, which only take you so far.

I know Milligan fell off the mark in X-Statix but i still enjoyed it...not sure how much longer idve stayed on if it kept going, but ah well. Same went for Punisher MK vol 1, really went to shit by the end (you read that octopus issue?!).

Anyway, just finished issue # 1, was fun Ennis story and all, good to see Robertson back too; ill say more when the first arc is done.

I saw the trade of that & thought 'Yeah, I gotta be checking that out'. I went back through & re-read the last run of X-Force issues and I can still read Doop's little heiroglyphs. S'a pity they don't make a Doop Keyboard for that shit. Bah. Guess I'll have to settle for albeid.

ied ZA irduhi ehmi 2dhesg.

HE'S TALKIN BOU er wait, he's talkin bout X-Statix tho.

The Boys was good for its first issue, like i said, i wanna see more. He's done anti-cape before, i want some angles i havent seen him do for htis book. My concern is that, like Ellis has done lately, im gonna end up with his archetypal favorite characters that ive seen in books before...we'll see, im hopeful, and happy enough just to see this creative team again.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't burn me at the stake people, but this book needs to get to the point already! I like the characters, and it's funny AND violent as all hell, but Ennis is takin' his sweet time to get the ball rolling! I guess he thinks that just cause it has his name on it, people will stick around (and he's right), but let's get to it already!

Eh, i guess i disagree...i enjoyed # 2, and if they arent saying how long the series is gonna go, im ok with the first arc being all intro/set-up, im realizing now he had more planned with this book than i thought from the first issue. Lil Hughie (think it was?) seems to be the reader's way into it, like in Wanted, but i suppose if we get a few more issues in and im on the same page as panch ill say the same. Hell, Bendis kept spidey outta costume for like 5 or 6 issues; im a patient man with decompression.

i hear panch will never go deep-sea diving. that's how much he hates decompression. HAW!

ps Butcher can crush guns with his hands, but he's not a super...?

• 2 months later...

Just finished the first 5 issues, and its interesting. Art's a bit different than I'm used to (god, Butcher lloks evil, and Lil' Hughie looks a lot like Shaun from Shaun of the Dead), but not bad.

Anyone else notice on the first page where the agents visit Wee Hughie's apartment in the second frame ("Express our deepest condolences", "Tragic Loss" etc.) "Shaun of the Dead" is on the TV?

How can you see that without someone pointing it out to you first? Is that the walking home from the bar scene before the shit really hits the fan?

I NEED TO READS.

Yes, you do.

Eh, i guess i disagree...i enjoyed # 2, and if they arent saying how long the series is gonna go, im ok with the first arc being all intro/set-up, im realizing now he had more planned with this book than i thought from the first issue. Lil Hughie (think it was?) seems to be the reader's way into it, like in Wanted, but i suppose if we get a few more issues in and im on the same page as panch ill say the same. Hell, Bendis kept spidey outta costume for like 5 or 6 issues; im a patient man with decompression.

i hear panch will never go deep-sea diving. that's how much he hates decompression. HAW!

ps Butcher can crush guns with his hands, but he's not a super...?

If you haven't been reading, they answer that in issue 3 or 4.

Yeah, just got all caught up - Ennis is having his fun, no doubt, but im officially on board here. This next issue's gonna be the action some've waited for, and there's been enough time to set the JLA-esque up as cunts and at least start to flesh the team out....you cant really have doubts when Ennis does an original series, mcuh less with Robertson on the pencils.

This one's quickly rising to the top of a strong list of books i gotta read first when they show up.

Yeah, alright, in light of preacher, fury, war stories etc its not on par there, but i think you guys might be missing the bigger picture:

go back and read the first arc or two of Hitman. It opened intresting with the tarentino dialogue, and was good fun, but i didnt suspect i might be reading something bigger until

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

im saying: there's promise here. Ennis could really turn this into something. Hitman turned into this amazing series, one of his finest (damn you, DC TPB dept), and idve never known it if i didnt keep with it through the silly undead seaworld parts.