Hondo's Bar

Guitar Hero

Newtype

Money is a great Bass song, but not a great song for guitar. If you wanna go Floyd, you could have Young Lust for a real rocker, or maybe Time for a slow complex bluesy guitar song.

If they went with another Hendrix song (which they should), Purple Haze is certainly other there with great riffs, but Fire or Voodoo Child would too.

Slow Ride came on the radio yesterday and I was thinking it would be a great song for GH2, but after the riff, most of the song is not good for the game, and it's a long song full of drum fills and bass solos and inhaling sounds and just not great for guitar hero.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wikipedia reports that the character models in GH2 will be motion captured. The characters and venues and stuff are really a minor part of the game. You don't pay much attention to them while playing, even while watching someone else play, but it's nice that the Sega 32X quality graphics will have a nice upgrade. The game will have 3 new characters, but what I'm hoping they eventually get to (in future sequals) is a creae your own character feature like in the Sims. Pick the height and proportions, then change the hair and clothes and faces. Still, a minor issue.

Confirmed Songs

Main Songs:

"Freebird" By Lynyrd Skynyrd (Cover)

"Sweet Child O' Mine" By Guns N' Roses (Cover)

"Shout At The Devil" By Motley Crue (Cover)

"Madhouse" By Anthrax (Cover)

"Trippin' On A Hole In A Paper Heart" By Stone Temple Pilots (Cover)

"John the Fisherman" by Primus (Original)

"Psychobilly Freakout" by Reverend Horton Heat (Cover)

"Strutter" by KISS (Cover)

"War Pigs" by Black Sabbath (Cover)

"Who Was in My Room Last Night?" by Butthole Surfers (Cover)

"You Really Got Me" by Van Halen (Cover)

"YYZ" by Rush (Cover)

i was right about "you really got me", no way theyd have htat in the most recent Beatmania and not here.

i havent paid for a game since like 1998, how can i start now when its like wha, $70 or so? i mean, free bird and sweet child are awesome (im almost thankful for no november rain, i couldnt go that long) but still...

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my God I just came in my pants

Confirmed songs:

* "Arterial Black" - Drist

* "Beast and the Harlot" - Avenged Sevenfold

* "Can't You Hear Me Knocking?" - The Rolling Stones

* "Crazy on You" - Heart

* "Free Bird" - Lynyrd Skynyrd

* "Heart-Shaped Box" - Nirvana

* "Jessica" - The Allman Brothers Band

* "John The Fisherman" - Primus

* "Laid To Rest" - Lamb of God

* "Madhouse" - Anthrax

* "Message in a Bottle" - The Police

* "Misirlou" - Dick Dale

* "Psychobilly Freakout" - The Reverend Horton Heat

* "Shout at the Devil" - Mötley Crüe

* "Strutter" - KISS

* "Surrender" - Cheap Trick

* "Sweet Child O' Mine" - Guns N' Roses

* "Tattooed Love Boys" - The Pretenders

* "Them Bones" - Alice in Chains

* "Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight" - Spinal Tap

* "Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart" - Stone Temple Pilots

* "War Pigs" - Black Sabbath

* "Who Was in My Room Last Night?" - The Butthole Surfers

* "You Really Got Me" - The Kinks, as performed by Van Halen

* "YYZ" - Rush

This is only 25 of the at least 55 songs that will be int he final version!

Lemme just say I was thinking the other day that Misirlou by Dick Dale would be fukcign hot, and here it is! Some comments of the new songs:

"Can't You Hear Me Knocking?" - Has a long sax solo and a few slow guitarless parts, and frankly, not that great a riff. It's a great song, but I just stuck it on play now to imagine myself playing it, and I'm kind stratching my head. Glad to see they were able to get a Stones song though, but I would have liked to see Bitch (though I can see why they could go with a song named 'Bitch'), Monkey Man, or Get Off Of My Cloud.

"Crazy on You" - I started in a previous post that I was hoping for Barracuda from Heart, but the only reason I picked Barracuda over Crazy On You was the opening aucoustic guitar intro would be SOOO hard, but it is a great pick. Magic Man would also have been acceptable. I'm glad it was one of those three songs, but I'm impressed with this choice.

"Heart-Shaped Box" - Many Nirvana songs would have been great. This one strikes me as one of the better possibilities. Of all the hits, it's probably the best choice.

"Jessica" - OK, Dwayne Allman was a guitar monster, and his inclusion in GH2 is just as important as getting Eddie Van Halen, Jimmy Page and Angus Young on the roster. While I'm a fan of them taking instrumental songs from great guitar bands (like Frankenstein and YYZ), this seems like an odd choice. At over 7 minutes, it's almost more of a piano driven song with some nice giutar soloing here and there. I'm sure they're rework it slightly, but for my money, Whipping Post would have been the better choice.

"Message in a Bottle" - A Police song, awesome! Message is easily one of their catchiest songs, but I would have prefered Synchronocity II, Can't Stand Losing You, So Lonely, but more than any of those, I would have liked to have seen The Bed's Too Big Without.

"Misirlou" - My fingers ache looking at the title... :werewolf:

"Psychobilly Freakout" - :approve: This song was made for this game.

"Surrender" - Thumbs up!

"Sweet Child O' Mine" - Great intro. Would Welcome to the Jungle or Paradise City have been better, maybe, hard to tell, but GNR needed a spot here and they got it.

"Tattooed Love Boys" - I had never heard this song before. After find a video of it on YouTube, I have come to a few conclusions. 1) I'm upset it's on neither of my Pretenders compilation CDs, 2) I like the Pretenders now more than I did before, 3) excellent choice for GH2, and 4) I find Chrissie Hynde very hot.

"Them Bones" - Awesome choice for short and fast. I'd be lyin' if I said I wasn't hoping for Rooster just cause I love that song so much. Awesome pick.

"Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight" - Spinal Tap was needed, and as long as they didn't go with Gimme Some Money, Listen To What The Flower Flower Say, Live My Love Pump, or Big Bottom (because it's 3 basses and no guitars), I was going to be happy to see them on the list.

I'm still keeping our fingers crosses for an Aerosmith song, an AC/DC song, a Led Zeppelin Song, a Pearl Jam song, a Soundgard song, a Jeff Beck song, an Alice Cooper song, a Clash song, Rock Lobster by the B-52's, a Beatles song (wishful thinking?), a Black Crowes Song, a Bon Jovi song (Wanted Dead or Alive, Blaze of Glory or You Give Love A Bad Name), a Bruce Springsteen song (maybe, not really a guitar player's band), a Cars song (Just What I Needed is my pick, but Best Friend's Girl or Good Times Roll would rock out too), Zombie by the Cranberries, Roundabout by Yes, I Believe In A Thing Called Love by The Darkness, a Def Leppard song, something guitar heavy by the Doors that's not overpowered by Ray Manzerick's organ (maybe The WASP, Love Me Two Times, People Are Strange, Roadhouse Blues, Peace Frog, or the unrelenting LA Woman), an Elvis Costello song, a Frank Zappa instrumental song, Maggot Brain by Funkadelic, a Green Day Song, something by Iron Maiden (cause metal needs it's due in this game), a JAne's Addiction song, a Jefferson Airplane song, a Big Brother & The Holding Company song, a Jethro Tull song, a Meelencamp song (I Need a Lover would fit the bill nicely), a Lenny Kravitz song (Are You Gonna Go My Way or Fly Away being obvious choices), an old Metallica song, an Offspring song (the main riff to Come Out and Play would be sick), a Pat Benatar song, a Pink Floyd song, a Pixies song, a Prince song (Let's Go Crazy or Purple Rain), a Rage Against The Machine song (I've made my peace that it's not likely to happen), a Rancid Song, What's The Frequency, Kenneth by REM, a Santana song (need to play a sick Carlos Sanatan solo on this game, like in Samba Pa Ti), a Pumpkins song (Bullt, Zero, Everlasting Gaze), a Smiths song, a Sonic Youth song, a Steve Miller Band song (Jet Airliner, Jungle Love, or Rock'N Me), a Sublime song, a System of a Down song, a Tool song, a Weezer song, a White Stripes song, and a Who song.

a Rage Against The Machine song (I've made my peace that it's not likely to happen)

Well shut me the fuck up:

In the new issue of OPM (Official Playstation Magazine), it mentions "Killing in the Name" by Rage Against the Machine as one of the songs in the game. It is yet to be confirmed by RedOctane.

No new confirmed songs, but the following songs/bands are either rumored to be in the game, aer in negociations to be int he game, or are rumored to be in negociations to be in the game:

According to MTV, Tool have also been in negotiations with RedOctane to be in Guitar Hero II.

According to Eurogamer, Rage Against the Machine's "Killing in the Name" and Foo Fighters' "Monkey Wrench" will be included as playable songs.

John Tam has "plans" for "The Final Countdown" by Europe.

Due to the comments in the latest issue of EGM regarding the final song having 11 solos, speculation has grown that the song is "Hangar 18" by Megadeth.

Been watching trailers on YouTube...I'm psyched. Already preordered it so I could get the t-shirt and limited edition red guitar.

alright, the massive update post got me hyped, lotta greats on there...freebird, jessica etc were long overdue. im espcially pleased they went wtih "sweet child o' mine" cause i never went for jungle or paradise city myself.

Rage is indeed great news as well. "the final countdown" makes me laugh cause i cant hear it now without thinking of arrested development.

The YouTube trailers llok like GH1 on fucking crack. I can't wait to bite into Misirlou. Watching Shout at the Devil by the Crue also got me excited about that song even though I never particularly liked it. The idea of Strutter instead of Rock And Roll all Nite is growing on me too.

They said that they weren't yet going to reveal the last song, but that it had "no less than 11 guitar solos" in it. :???:

Well, back to talk about GH1, after weeks of failing and failing, I finally bet Crossroads on Hard mode. It's a good thing too, because I'd hate to associate an old blues song with disappointment and sadness. As I suspected, once I beat Crossroads and unlocked the final five songs on Hard mode, it didn't take too long to bet the first four of the last set (Blue Oyster Cult's Godzilla, Stevie Ray Vaughn's Texas Flood, Edgar Winter Group's Frankenstein and Pantera's Cowboys From Hell), leaving only Bark At the Moon by Ozzy Osbourse, the only song comparible to Crossroads in difficulty. I should have this game beat by the time I get GH2.

Also: Nick, GH2 has very expanded 2 player options. Now, you can play head to head or co-op (with the two players choosing betwee lead guitar, rhythm guitar, and bass guitar), and each play can choose their difficulty (GH1 both players played the same difficulty), so we could play with you guys on easy and me on expert to keep things fun. We gotta have a GH night in Nov when it comes out. I bought the one with a guitar, so I'll own two so we don't have to worry about Alex forgetting to bring his guitar.

Yeah, I was gonna wait for my sister to come back from her summer internship to see if she liked the game before I decided on getting the second guitar, then she came home and didn't care for the game. Then I saw online the limited edition pre-order only cherry red guitar and I thought "I work hard, I rarely spoil myself, this game makes me happy, I'll be damned if my fucking sister stands in the way of my well deserved fun!" I fucking showed her!

Haha, two more confirmed songs!

"Hangar 18" - Megadeth - This is the one that has been speculated to be the final song of the game ever since one of the game developers said they pick a song with "no less than 11 guitar solos." It's going to make Crossroads and Bark at the Moon seem like Gloria and Louie Louie.

"Last Child" - Aerosmith - Excellent choise.

The November issue (or course, released in late September) of Official Playstation Magazine is have a playable demo with singkle player versions of "YYZ" by Rush, "Strutter" by KISS, "Shout at the Devil" by Motley Crue, and "You Really Got Me" by Van Halen. I'll be picking that up. Just got to find out where they sell OPM around here....

This is the horrible thing that'd get me to buy a PS3 ahead of a massive pricedrop- GH3. It's my worst fear but the Blu-ray'll ree-heeally come in handy for cramming on a massive collection of songs. Hell, I'd love to see a version that'd convert MP3's into playable tracks using like a basic equaliser principle or something.

Doesn't seem like it's I'd work. The song program would have to not just recognize a guitar track in combination and disregard the vocals, bass guitar, drums and organs/keyboards, but hardest of all, separate the lead guitar from the rhythm guitar. Anyway, one of the best parts of the game is the way the different difficulty levels progress to make you learn to play better.

Anyway, I could be wrong, but I don't think the DVD format is really limiting the amount of songs that can fit on the game. I think paying for the rights to use a song are the limitations. The first game had 30 famous songs (and several hidden songs by unknown bands). Due to the first game's success, they could afford to get 55 songs, and who knows how many hidden ones. I bet they could fit hundreds on a D VD is money was not an issue in production.

Besides, they would rather spend the money to buy 200 songs on Guitar Hero 3, Guitar Hero 4, Guitar Hero 5 and Guitar Hero 6. than one game. I don't want them to mkae us by a new controller, but sometimes I wish there were more buttons (all across the neck) to make it harder.

Archived