Hondo's Bar

Anime recommendation thread

The NZA

Anime i watch next  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Right, so the last few series i saw were Samurai Champloo and Azumanga Daioh, which were both cool and pretty funny. Amongst the US shows im getting into, i figure ill be getting into antoher anime series eventually, and these are the ones i have downloaded completely (with the exception of the last 2, which are borrowed off of Newtype).

I've seen favorable reviews on about all of them, and im leaning towards Gungrave (after a few comparisons ive seen to Berserk), but im open to suggestion on the order of them. Thoughts?

god knows ill prolly go back & finish Lain first, anyway.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about anyone else, but this is a hard list to choose from! Of course you need to watch all of these, but if you're wanting to have a top priority of which one comes first, I would have to sayyyyyyyyy Hellsing. Just based on what I've seen. I'll ask Cj for more infooooos as he's watched all of these fa shizzle and is like an Anime god or something.

Matter of fact, I should just have him call you. And ask what animes you want. I think that in the time period of now, and August when D and I come, we should JUST have enough time to burn everything we've ever promised you and more! haha.

Lurve,

RachaelHeart.

Cj love Elfen Lied (and I like it, too! from what I've seen).

Also-

Grave of the Fireflies is amazing. Sad, and amazing. I.. cried. heh. It's a movie though (I don't think it's connected to a TV series at all?), so you can watch that before getting started hardcore into a seies!

Edited by MetalHeart

.Hack and Gungrave are both really good. Hellsing is good too, I guess, but it really depends on your tastes. If you like really in depth things then Ghost in the Shell:SAC and .Hack. If you want a lot of action and blood with a decent story, then Gungrave (or Hellsing). Ninja Scroll is decent, but not as good as I thought it would be. The movie is better.

Sometimes it's good to watch the 13eps series because it's easier to get over with first than a 26eps series. You can officially watch a 13 episode series in a day if you want.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
It sort of loses the magic after about ep 25 anyway, at least in my opinion.

Heartbreaking.

I watched most of the first 20 all at once, which is probably why I got so absorbed in it, but the plot really is awesome at times. Gets a little....convoluted, and there are things about it I'm not too keen on, but it's still one of the best out there if you ask me. At least up to a point. I'm not sure where it's going at the moment.

Anyone got any recommendations anime-wise? I feel like something new. :P

Well, what sort of anime do you enjoy?

:yup:

But I didn't see the final episodes :wink: surely all their trials and tribulations would be rewarded and that the end to their suffering would come to a happy conclusion...

Seriously, that series depressed the hell out of me and had me in a funk for a week... it's a worse "Fuck You" ending than Evangelion!

But I didn't see the final episodes :yup: surely all their trials and tribulations would be rewarded and that the end to their suffering would come to a happy conclusion...

Seriously, that series depressed the hell out of me and had me in a funk for a week... it's a worse "Fuck You" ending than Evangelion!

I really liked Cowboy Bebop, though I'd be happy to try whatever you recommend. Anything that's super awesome, but not totally depressing (see above), to narrow it down. (One must equal the other by default).

Thanks for the tippster Metalheartarooney. I'll check out those two.

If you want some bubblegum quirky mecha you can try Daiguard. Cool premise, clean animation, and surprisingly good story. It's 26 Episodes.

If you want a one-shot along those lines there's the Shinesman OAV.

Both involve the idea of "Japanese corporate pencil pushers who save the world as a second job to score extra cash." Think Excell Saga with a Dr. Strangelove feel because they try to take themselves seriously in the animes and the humor come from the whole surreal situations the heros find themselves in.

You'd think after a while, your brain would start to compensate for the huge logic gaps and topsy turvy sentences. I usually just glance at subs then look at the action to get a better feel for what's going on. Watching dubbed episodes always feels like cheating....though the meanings may be more accurate.....and you can actually watch what happens on screen....and you may well enjoy the series more as a result. But yeah, cheating.

Dai Guard sounds interesting....anything with massively destructive robots has to be a winner.

Beck was soooo good! I still haven't seen the very last episode... but so good.

It's really hard for me to watch stuff that's dubbed, because to me it always seems like they go over the top with their voices. One Piece to me is a PRIME example.... ugh! So it's subtitles for me. But over time, it's like there were never words and you just seem to understand the language or something... that's how it feels for me. Kind of like when you're reading a book and the words melt away and you see a movie in your head. Except the animation is doing all the work for you!