Hondo's Bar

Harry Potter 5

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was good fun, and the casting was awesome, yet again. It felt a bit rushed, with so much missing and rewritten, but not bad

(I really wanted to see McGonagall face off against Umbridge over Harry's future, and also the bit with Peeves but oh well).

Ps.

And Dobby was never seen again. ^_^

I agree that they had to edit a lot. I've read a lot of reviews complaining that the editing trimmed out a lot of what made the series "magical". And it's true that this movie doesn't find time for the fun side trips the previous films went on, and it completely plows through the feeling of the characters going through a school year, but I thought they did a much better job of trimming than in Prisoner or Goblet. Both of those films cut things that I missed and thought were important, this one kept everything in that needed to be in and even a few things that I thought would never make it into the films (

Snape's worst memory, for instance

). There are a couple parts of the story that could have been fleshed out just a bit more,

Mr. Weasley's attack and recovery, in particular, comes to mind

, but some of the trimming was amazingly economical and even improved on the book, in my opinion,

such as having Cho be the one to betray Dumbledore's Army, thereby eliminating an unnecessary character, giving that particular plot point even more drama and tidily explaining the ending of her relationship with Harry without having to go into all the details that the book went into

. Even the climax was, I thought, an improvement.

Definitely a great film overall. And aside from Prisoner, which somehow has earned immunity to such criticism in my head, I'd call it the best Harry Potter film yet. I've found that it's especially good if you think of it as the first film in a trilogy - which is really what it feels like, compared to the more self contained movies that came before.

And yes, poor Dobby. Once again his contribution to the story is given to Neville. I wonder if we'll ever see him again?

Agreed, Ly. I also thought

that Tonks was under-utilized...

There was so much that they could've developed...but it was good nonetheless!

Pretty cute, though.

Half Blood Prince spoiler-ish:

And on that note, Lupin's a putz for taking so long to come around.

Hey no fair! How come you yanky kids get it first? Its based on a British book with a predominantly British cast ergo it should come out in Europe first.

Well I suppose its made by Warner Bros so that makes sense I guess. Comes out here next week so I really can't complain but still you guys get all the cool shit first over there.

...don't get me started!

When Sirius goes from dog to man in the subway and he's tying his robe...I about nearly fainted and wished he'd tie it a little slower, if not take leave it open...what a delicious specimen of a man!

...don't get me started!

When Sirius goes from dog to man in the subway and he's tying his robe...I about nearly fainted and wished he'd tie it a little slower, if not take leave it open...what a delicious specimen of a man!

mmmmmmmm I second that!!! hehe.

Good movie. Dunno if anyone mentioned it previously, and I agre with Sibob completely on the good trimming of the fat of it all, the mirror from the book would have really impressed the

tragedy of Sirius' death

on the non-book-reading audience.

To help show that Sirius was gone, and further give Harry something to be angsty about (not that he needed more), since he could have just checked that mirror in the first place (instead of following the path that got Sirius killed).

Huh? I only read book 5 the once çause I really didn't dig it, but I know for a fact I didn't see it again in book 6, what makes you think it's going to be in book 7? And like I said, the nature of what the mirror does(I forget exactly what) and then what happens really makes it one of those 'well if only he'd done this then that wouldn't have happened.'sorta thing.

Archived