Hondo's Bar

National Foods

Senshik

This thread could be used for the Food and Drinks thread (forthcoming?) or merged with another thread that has been created.

I was down over at "what was the last thing you ate" thread and I got the idea for this thread when I inquired about S&K pies (Steak and unknownKidney Pie with questionable brown sauce) - A dish from Ireland. So me being the curious person that I am, I want to know what other foods different people from different nationalities have. Let the boards know what you guys cook traditionally and what the contents are. Also ask here about a dish you may have herad of or want to know how to make it or just plain curious about what others are eating at home!

I'll start. State country and dish name.

Nicaragua (central america) - Indio Viejo (A dish roughly translated as "old indian")

This dish is made of the corn flour (used to make tortillas), along with shreded beef, baby corn, and mint. It's a traditional dish that is served during a cold season (i'm assuming cuz it's a very hot and warms you up). It can be served with white rice and tortilla as a side.

indioviejo.jpg

steak and kidney pie has a brown beef gravy to go with...

the brown sauve i was talking about is an alternative to ketchup.. its a more tangy/zesty kind of condoment... and i personally find it goes rather well with said steak and kidney pies.. as well as breakfast meats like sausage and rasher/bacon... and perfectly washed down with a cup've tea....

its odd ye yanks haven't heard of brown sauce

They have brown sauce at import stores and supermarkets that carry protesta british foods. Other than that you're fucked. Thankfully (I think) because I live across the street from Disney and there's so many English tourists the WalMart up the street has loadsa that stuff. I have to special order my Taytos from some place in NYC though. It's the best, they have everything from black pudding (FOOD OF KINGS) to mighty munch.

jalea_peru.jpg

THIS IS A JALEA

(pron. HA-Léh-AH)

This a very typical dish of the West coast of Peru. Mainly, the Coast is made up of big cities and fisher-towns.

A Jalea is a made up of a variety of fried seafood, slightly seasoned and breaded. When served, it is meant

to be shared from a large dish (since most fishermen spent time together and did not have many resources,

it was easier to share from a dish). Before you dig in, do not forget to squeeze a few drops of lemon (as desired by taste) for a little tanginess or dip it into our various Peruvian Tartar Sauces....MMM-mmm-mmm!

man... there's nothin better than a black and white pudding sambo with lashings of brown sauce to get rid've a hangover.....

as for tayto, i think they've just been taken over by walker, given the factory up the road in coolock's just shut down... they're tasting a bit nicer than they usually do....

Tayto was bought by Largo Foods, who make Perry Crisps.

White pudding mashed into toast, with a bit of Yorkshire Relish is delish!

jalea_peru.jpg

THIS IS A JALEA

(pron. HA-Léh-AH)

This a very typical dish of the West coast of Peru. Mainly, the Coast is made up of big cities and fisher-towns.

A Jalea is a made up of a variety of fried seafood, slightly seasoned and breaded. When served, it is meant

to be shared from a large dish (since most fishermen spent time together and did not have many resources,

it was easier to share from a dish). Before you dig in, do not forget to squeeze a few drops of lemon (as desired by taste) for a little tanginess or dip it into our various Peruvian Tartar Sauces....MMM-mmm-mmm!

That loooooooooks AND sounds delicious! Where can I go get a decent rendition of this dish, Lobo? (Unfortunately I don't know many Peruvian restaruants...)

YEs, it's got an extensive variety of seafood, including crab legs!! I suggest you try it at "Aromas del Peru" on 137th and Kendall Drive, across from el Dorado Furniture Store, next to the Perfumania.....we should all go one day...I'm also a great "ceviche" cook....that would be the NEXT dish I will present!!

Sweeeeeeeet. Ceviche is good stuff. My dad makes an awesome one too. I'm fairly decent at making certain Nica dishes too...

Traditional Nicaraguan meal: Carne Asada/or Pollo Asado, Gallo Pinto, con ensalda, tajadas, y queso frito! YUMMY! (Translation: Grilled steak/ or Chicken, rice&beans, salad, fried plantains, and fried cheese!)

Chicken dish

nica_6.jpg

Archived