Hondo's Bar

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

soldier of fortune

crazy, right? i was just debating selling my wii copy and finding a GC one, had no idea it shot up like that. i might trade a game or two for it one day, but for now, i'm gonna hold off - i still have hopes for a Zelda collection for the WU to bring an upscaled Wind Waker (with the missing dungeons!), god knows what could happen with this one down the road.

enjoy though - pacing is not great for the fist 1/3 (the first few hours were kinda painful for me), but as it progresses, again, some of the best dungeons in the series since it went 3D.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's still one of my favorite promos, i traded a dead SNES for it years ago at a CD exchange, haha.

much love to them for putting majora's mask on it, no idea why Ocarina of Time's master quest got a separate disc (at least the 3DS version brings it). also, leaving off link to the past cause of them doing 4 swords at the same time was really stupid. in related news, nintendo just ported Link's Awakening (classic gameboy one) to the 3DS as well, im glad they remembered it existed.

i really loved Wind Waker, though...few stealth sections are weird, but the art style was great. people bitched about the pacing (sailing sections) but i had nothing but love, cant wait to replay it again in HD sometime.

• 1 month later...

Ok started this one up, but I did it the right way, Dolphin, GC version(fuck righthanded link) and with all kinds of AA and up'd res out the wazhoo, only a bit in but so far it's holding at about 30fps, might play with it a bit ore but it looks nice. Also gamepad ftw!

• 1 month later...

ok making slow progress due to the fact that I put in like 20 hours on trails and some other stuff lol, anyway on my to snowpeak ruins, the next place I'm really looking forward to is city in the sky which I hear is awesome.

oh and yes once you can shift from human to wolf at will the game very much picks up.

I loved Arbiters ground as well, the spinner was alot of fun and different though I hear it doesn't get very much use outside of that place which makes me sad.

• 4 years later...

They should've given Twilight the HD treatment instead of Wind Waker. It's been awhile since this gen had a solid romp through Hyrule. Skyward had that weird segmented world design and Wind Waker was a huge pond. Twilight was the last full 3D Hyrule to run around in after Ocarina and Majora. Crazy. Guess Nintendo decided to hold off so when Zelda Wii U finally lands - the return of a fully fleshed out Hyrule will really have an impact. An HD Remaster of Twilight would've really been something. That's a beautiful game.

it is, but man i had to come back to it cause the opening's pacing was brutal.

also hyrule is wide open but it just feels barren at parts! SS was a response to that - tightly-packed areas with lots of stuff to find, and actual use for your rupees/etc - but you're absolutely right that it felt segmented, likely cause of the wii's hardware. what we've seen of Zelda-U looks refreshingly vast.

but please believe, i'd love a HD TP. those dungeons just get amazing as they go.

Yeah, the opening to Twilight is a whole game in of itself! Like, entire game sessions worth! Then BAM! Hey, Link is in this game!

It was a vast Hyrule, but, yeah - kinda barren. The art style, dungeon design - the world really felt like an aged sequel to Ocarina.

Although it was widescreen, I couldn't get down w/ the Wii version. Just got the Gamecube version. Link is righty and Hyrule is flipped? Death Mountain in the west? Naw - I need me that proper Hyrule.

Maybe it'll get a remaster sometime in the future. Knowing Nintendo, they'll keep that one in the holster till the monetary time is right. They should totally get around to giving the original LOZ a remake, though. I'd be all over that - that's a game that would benefit from an update. Metroid: Zero Mission was an excellent remake.

• 1 month later...

It's official: Twilight Princess HD - March 4, 2016. Looks like it's gonna be awhile until Zelda Wii U hits. The Midna / Wolf Link Amiibo is gonna carry saved data from Twilight Princess over to Zelda Wii U - don't know in what capacity yet.

I wanna see what all the upgrades and enhancements are - it still looks pretty...blocky? But, (shrugs) it's 1080p, widescreen and I don't think it's a flipped Hyrule. Day One.

EDIT: Here's a comparison vid.

Wii U looks like it's missing that Twilight glow...the upgrade be lookin' good, though.

Edited by Little Nemo McFly

yeah, they made some cool changes to Majora's Mask 3D (tweaking boss fights/etc im told, haven't played it yet), hoping for the same here...and TP looked great most times, it just had 3 problems for me:

1) the overworld often felt barren/no use for rupees most times

2) the dipped-in-sepia look of the dark world, i know it was supposed to be off-putting, but man was it ever

3) holy crap yes that intro/first dungeon was so boring for me, i put it down for Okami and took years to return (as seen in this thread)

hope they speed that last bit up, already liking the less-cluttered HUD. got a best buy preorder in for the LE!

Yeah, they totally changed up some things in Majora's Mask 3D (I finally beat it a few weeks ago - seriously took my time w/ that one). Wind Waker HD streamlined that Triforce Shard fetch-quest towards the end, too - amongst some other things. Wouldn't be surprised if they reworked that massive Twilight intro - really looking forward to the list of 'improvements'.

For the most part - these remakes really do make the games more enjoyable. Ocarina in 3D was a sick update, too. I liked how Majora and Ocarina went from polygons to matching the artwork in the manuals and promo art.

Believe it or not - I really liked that dipped-in-sepia look! Everything had this glow to it. It really felt like it was a different realm bathed in eternal Twilight.

Officially hyped for an updated 2015 Twilight Princess - (blows dust off Hyrule Historia).

tumblr_lyvz6d8z7c1qjdyzdo1_500.gif

tumblr_me2mq0niy61rf0hsxo1_500.gif

• 2 weeks later...

8589130595316-zelda-skyward-sword-warhammer-video-games-wallpaper-hd.png

Yeah, Skyward in HD would be sick. It's has a great 'painting' look - it's bright and colorful and that watercolor aesthetic would be sooo awesome in HD. LOL - I've been trying to revisit it, but it's so hard to get back into. To be honest, I think it's the Wii-motion Plus. It's cool! Precise! But I prefer to play a game like Zelda w/ a gamepad. Don't like swinging the Wiimote at every blade of grass and enemy - kinda like just leaning back and hitting some buttons. Don't like most of my actions having to be a focused, precise effort. Lemme just hit a button! I wanna lounge and enjoy! Don't wanna hafta rest after a couple o' hours.

How the game was designed - the Wiimote would be mandatory to play in an HD remake. Gotta embrace the Wiimote! Now I feel like giving it another playthrough...I've only beaten it once. Cool story and it looks great. My only beef is the hours of Wiimote wagging...LOL...Wiimote wagging.

FjYgGet.gif

I know the fencing-esque fights against Girahim were a bitch, but were fun because of the precision, but you're right. I feel like I have to be alert all the time when swinging that shit around. I never beat it myself. Played a bunch of it, but only got to the part in the desert with all of the time travel stuff going on.

agreed, i absolutely don't want an HD Skyward without wiimote controls; there'd be no point. the game was built around them - it'd be like trying to play Twilight Princess on the wii, but worse. parts of the combat that were supposed to be engaging would just be monotonous

for instance: i was just playing Rodea Sky Soldier, and the WU version is prettier but plays like absolute butt. wii version is actually fun to play!

• 1 month later...

Looks like there's a new dungeon - unlocked by that Wolf Link Amiibo...the Twilight Cave.

Nintendo has created a new dungeon in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD - but you'll need the game's Wolf Link Amiibo to access it.

The NFC toy will be sold in bundle packs alongside the Wii U remaster, and also separately.

Amazon France - a regular source of video game leaks - posted the information onZelda: Twilight Princess HD product page, ahead of an official announcement from Nintendo itself.

It means that, at the moment, we can't say how substantial the new addition will be - or whether it might also be available another way, for instance as DLC from the Wii U eShop.

The new detail was spotted on Amazon France by both Nintendo Insider andNeoGAF but has since been removed.

"Unlock bonuses with 'The Legend of Zelda' Amiibos," the page described. "Tap all the Amiibos for the Zelda series to unlock bonuses in the game, such as regenerating your life, or getting arrows for your bow.

"The new Wolf Link Amiibo even allows you to get into a new dungeon: 'The Twilight Cave'."

And, as already known, the Wolf Link Amiibo saves data to be used somehow in the all-new Legend of Zelda game headed to Wii U later this year.

Other unannounced information is still present on the game's Amazon.fr page. Twilight Princess HD will apparently include a new Hero Mode which can be played from the off - there's no need to unlock it.

The game's inventory has, unsurprisingly, been moved down to the Wii U touchscreen GamePad. Its graphics have also been given a tweak.

Zelda: Twilight Princess originally launched for both GameCube and Wii back in November 2006. It, and the Wolf Link Amiibo, both arrive in Europe for Wii U on 4th March - almost 10 years on.