Hondo's Bar

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

soldier of fortune

gc_The_Legend_of_Zelda_Twilight_Princess_logo_noir_wallpaper.jpg

Ok, so as most of you guys know i got a wii recently.

Some how managed to get one, when demand for this excellent console is still running very high, though it seems we're having a better time of it over here in Ireland than you guys in the states.

Anyway, this is the first nintendo console i've owned since my SNES, and to be honest i know its not on the same level as the 360 or PS3, i got it for the purely social gaming aspect of it. Wii Play Wii Sports, WarioWare, Rayman, all great multiplayer, social games which with the addition of alcohol are no doubt great fun, that being said i've not gotten rayman yet.

So what does this console bring to the single player games, the kinda games where when you play time means nothing because you become immeresed in the game.

I've never been a huge Zelda fan (shock horror! :wank: ) but as this is one of the wii's biggest releases to date i decided to get it.

I know the charge of it being a glorified Cube game is out there, but to be fair, this isn't going to be the last ever zelda game, there will be more that i am sure.

So been off work sick last couple of days and at the weekend i gave this game some hours, to see how i'd get on, to be honest my first impressions were pretty low, then i stuck with it, boy am i glad i did.

The whole wii control system, works beautifully, you have to swing your sword by swinging the remote etc, its really satisfying killing the beasties this way.

As usual Nintendo haven't gone with photo realistic imagery, but the images are smooth (even smoother when i get my scart cable) and the backgrounds and scenes look quite good. Also as well is the soundtrack which is very appropriate.

Nintendo have also taken the choice to keep the text speech rather than voice acting, no doubt due to the concerns of how the hardcore Zelda fan's would react to their character being voiced by someone they thought was shit.

Now i've not completed the game (yet) and i have no idea how far i'm away from it, but i've only learnt one of the secret skills so far, and i've nearly 5 hrs game time racked up.

The wolf concept is really good, and breaks up playing as Link, and to be honest the Midna character is suitably weird.

So after my initial hesitancy with this game, i'm coming around to it in a big way.

If you have a wii, you have to have this game, it really is that good.

So in accordance with a lot of the major reviews this game is getting 9/10 from me.

Now if you'll excuse me, i'm going back to play more zelda! :)

Edited by soldier of fortune

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nintendo have also taken the choice to keep the text speech rather than voice acting, no doubt due to the concerns of how the hardcore Zelda fan's would react to their character being voiced by someone they thought was shit.

Well, if you'll notice, in this game, as with every other Zelda game, Link never speaks. So it would just be voicing other characters.

I'm past the first dungeon, looking for the second now. This game is solid.

Well, if you'll notice, in this game, as with every other Zelda game, Link never speaks. So it would just be voicing other characters.

I'm past the first dungeon, looking for the second now. This game is solid.

Point taken, but none of the other characters really speak apart from the occasional 'hey'

Also, i wasn't the biggest Zelda fan before this game, so i can't speak from experience of playing others in the series...

Point taken, but none of the other characters really speak apart from the occasional 'hey'

Ok, the people that have played this... After hearing pretty much every "hey" the people have to say, do you think "... you guys!" in your head afterwards? because I do, lolz.

Cj got this for the Game Cube (We don't have a Wii yet, bitches!) and it seems pretty cool so far. GC kept Link left handed since you don't get to do the fun physical shit, which is cool. Dowe said they flipped the entire game for Wii since the majority of the people are right handed, and he's over here now watching CJ play and it's bugging the shit out of him haha. I can imagine, though.

We've only had this for an hour or two, so not much gameplay yet! But it's fun to watch and I might play if I can pry Cj offa it.

I love Twilight Princess. Love it. It's probably my favorite Zelda game since Ocarina and this is coming from a guy who loved Wind Waker and even Majora's Mask. I'm close to the end of the game (just beat the ice temple) and really can't say enough good things. Just a beautiful game all around.

I also have it on the Cube and it doesn't really bother me. The game spent almost its entire development as a Cube game so the graphics really are nearly identical (aside from the whole mirror image thing). I'm sure the motion sensitive control is great but when it comes down to it, that's not what anyone plays a Zelda for so it doesn't bug me much that I have to use an old controller.

So yeah, after maybe the first hour of only slight disappointment (I wasn't too fond of the early wolf stuff because I kept wanting to get back to my old sword-swinging self) I really can't find any more fault with this game.

Edited by Silent Bob

I'm saying none of the text you'll ever read are Links words. The link character could very well me mute and it would not be evident in the story. All the other characters talk to him, but he never says anything back.

Never twigged that Jax, that is an excellent point. He never "says" anything, he just listens!

@MH, i think that too!!! "Hey you guuyyys!"

Truly, this game has converted me to the ways of Zelda, and i will now get the Ocarina of Time when it becomes available on the VC!!!

Ok, in the game, i've just learnt the 1st Secret Skill and i'm in the Forest Temple, am stuck there though...

Edited by soldier of fortune

Well, I think Link's Awakening was better than Link To The Past, but I'm in the minority there. Ocarina blew them both out of the water. Maybe not puzzle-wise, but that's not the only criteria I base a Zelda game on. I still think they need to make a Zelda Game where link is banished to another dimension and has to find a way back called The Legend of Zelda: The Missing Link. That name is pure gold.

Its really not.

SB's nod as a series vet is good to see, not like i needed to be sold on this one. Its about the first game i intend to get for my forthcoming Wii, im prolly just dragging ass cause im knee-deep in FF XII and have to do these things one at a time.

Id be interestd to hear a comparison between the wii and GC versions - i know its only the control setup that differs. But yeah, this one won out on a lotta lists at the end of last year.

I've actually read a couple reviews that prefer the old controls to those of the Wii. I wish Nintendo had just been smart enough to offer both options on the Wii so people wouldn't have to choose. I think the only graphical difference is that you can play the Wii one in widescreen...which is probably nice. On the other hand, I hear the interface is a little more cluttered. And if you wanted an insanely fanboyish difference, Link is a lefty, so the Cube version is the correct version.

Basically, you should probably try to play a Wii version and if you really like the new controls, hold out for that one. Otherwise, let's face it, the old control scheme has worked perfectly fine for four games now.

I've actually read a couple reviews that prefer the old controls to those of the Wii.

Those people are haters and probably wish they still made games for their Cellicovision. The Wii is the future!

I wish Nintendo had just been smart enough to offer both options on the Wii so people wouldn't have to choose.

Yeah, Nintendo was really stupid there. Why didn't they just make the Wii backwards compadiable so you could play GC games with a GC controller? Alas, they didn't do that at all.

On the other hand, I hear the interface is a little more cluttered.

If my memory serves me, Ocarina of Time was more cluttered. Here's a picture showing the screen about as cluttered as it ever gets

the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-wii-version-20060531030211297.jpg

Yeah, that's terrible....

And if you wanted an insanely fanboyish difference, Link is a lefty, so the Cube version is the correct version.

Why would anyone care about the opinion of someone who thought it wouldn't be justified to make Link right handed to make it feel natural when you swing your controller to make Link swing his sword? That's like a person that wouldn't want to travel through outerspace unless the name of the spaceship was The Enterprise.

Otherwise, let's face it, the old control scheme has worked perfectly fine for four games now.

Playing marbles and stickball worked perfectly fine for even longer than that, so why play video games at all?

Edited by Jack's Meandering Thoughts

Such a sassy cat. I dont apprecaite games that have a giant QJFUCKING.NET logo in the corner, myself.

honestly, the old controls'd be easier, i was having a tricky time navigating a bit (as Jax saw) with the new setup but im sure there's a learning curve. Im wondering how it flows in massive boss fights, but ive faith in the company & franchise both to hold out for the wiiversion.

Jax, don't be a dick. I've admitted that I have not played the Wii version, I'm only passing along opinions that I've heard/read. Among those haters on the control scheme is Gamespot.com, by the way, a pretty decent place to get videogame reviews. And I'm aware the Wii is backwards compatible. The Wii version of Twilight Princess, however doesn't offer a different control option.

Edited by Silent Bob

As far as the control thing, what do you expect? I mean the game was CREATED with the gamecube pad in mind. The fact that it works so well on the wii is pretty impressive. As far as the backwards compatibility thing though, well one compaint is that the GC version of Zelda didn't have widescreen support. So, for people like me with HDTVs that would be a reason to not get the GC one.

Can't wait to play this game.

BTW I'm gonna combine the WiiView threads.

• 3 years later...

wow, jax was a casual gaming dick years ago. who knew?

tied up the superior gamecube version TM tonight, thanks again newt. game really flowed better on the controls it was designed for, my opinion - but man, after the first 3 or so somewhat uninspired dungeons and all that goat-herding/tear-collecting shit, this game really picked up after the you get the Master Sword; dungeons & boss battles both improve almost sequentially for a while.

i still prefer WW's art style, but this one really fit the kinda dark story it was telling (for a Zelda). not my favorite of the 3D ones, but its up there, really glad i gave it a second chance. debating going back to Link's Awakening or Minsh Cap when my backlog's tied up.

• 11 months later...

just got this for my GC and am having a blast with it. Been out awhile I know, but better late than never. The price point is still pretty damn high too. couldnt find one for under 30 bucks, but its worth it :D fun game is fun