Hondo's Bar

Hondo's Wines & Dines You

Aartemys

Last night while I ate some of the most amazing Pasta Fagioli ever, I came up with the idea of reviewing restaurants in the South Florida area and posting my review, thoughts and recommendations.

I will go and try different cuisine, price ranges and areas and I am open to suggestions as well...

Pocket permitting, I will try to put up a review once a week...maybe more, maybe less...

There will a scoring scale:

Price

:?: Inexpensive

:?::?: Moderate

:?::?::?: Expensive

:?::?::?::?: Very Expensive

Overall experience, Food, Service, Atmosphere, and Value will be placed on a scale of :bananaman: for poor and :bananaman::bananaman::bananaman::bananaman::bananaman: for excellent...

On a side note, I am no Rachael Ray and I will be ordering with what sounds tasty on the menu, not necessarily the most inexpensive item on there...this is NOT $40 A Day...

The Villagio @ The Village of Merrick Park

358 San Lorenzo Avenue

Coral Gables, FL

Cuisine: Italian

Price: :?::?:

Located in the upscale mall Village of Merrick Park in Coconut Grove, the prices at this eatery are surprisingly moderate. There is the option of eating al fresco or inside the beautifully decorated restaurant. Italian music is playing through the speakers--loud enough to cover the din of diners but not overpowering that you can't speak with the person you are dining with.

From the moment you walk up to the door, you are being greeted by a group of servers and are seated almost immediately. Once in your seat, a basket of warm Italian bread is brought to the table along with a plate of bruschetta with tomatoes and balsamic vinegar.

The attention of the staff is wonderful. I have no complaints.

I chose to not have any wine with the meal and stuck to Diet Coke, which interestingly so, is the Italian version of the soda--sweeter than what we are used to, but delicious nonetheless. For starters, I had the Pasta Fagioli. I am a big fan of the soup and try to have it every time I am in an Italian restaurant. Of the many I have had, none can hold a candle to this one. The dinner entree was Papardelle 3 Gusti; flat pasta cut in wide strips infused with parsley, chunks of mozzarella and a delicious meat sauce. My taste buds were in ecstasy with every morsel. I could not finish my plate. Dessert was a chocolate covered coffee flavored gelato ball with a frozen cherry in the middle that was out of this world. To finish off the meal, a cup of espresso and a smile on my face.

Price per person with tip included: $30.00 and worth every last penny.

Overall experience :bananaman::bananaman::bananaman::bananaman::bananaman:

Food :bananaman::bananaman::?::bananaman::?:

Service :?::bananaman::?::bananaman::?:

Atmosphere :?::bananaman::bananaman::bananaman::bananaman:

Value :bananaman::bananaman::bananaman::bananaman::bananaman:

nice, i dig this idea.

Aarty: porkow's or texas de brazil? future patrons wanna know!

also, if youre ever down for good nica food that's not crazy expesnive, madrona's near FIU is excellent...id review, but let's be honest, most times i just go to bahama breeze by defualt anyway.

Why would anyone want nica food?

Speak for yourself, darling...Nica food will be reviewed as well...you can never go wrong with a fritanga!

And Nick...pricewise, Texas de Brazil is less expensive and closer to home...same concept, though...I'm going to have to mull this one over before I make a decision...

Maybe you should make a different thread about Irish restaurants... that way when the thread gets bigger we're not looking aroudn the whole thread friguring out which is Miami vs Irish, or other cusine.

Or not? Just giving an idea. But Indeed I like this idea.

Oh and Aarty, you should state the price for each rating scale... because what may be inexpensive to you may be expensive to me (lowly college student making ends meet!) :) Just a suggestion!

Maybe you should make a different thread about Irish restaurants... that way when the thread gets bigger we're not looking aroudn the whole thread friguring out which is Miami vs Irish, or other cusine.

Or not? Just giving an idea. But Indeed I like this idea.

Oh and Aarty, you should state the price for each rating scale... because what may be inexpensive to you may be expensive to me (lowly college student making ends meet!) :) Just a suggestion!

Good point, though i don't think this thread will become a sprawling mass like say "blargh"

If it does, one could go through it splitting the thread where needs be.

Just a thought.

I agree, anyone can review a restaurant as long as you stick to topic and use the criteria...I even hope that people will go to the suggested restaurants and bring back comments of their own...

And Sen, I went with the scale that the Miami New Times uses and they didn't have a price range...i thought about that as well I know very well that something that is moderate to me is not to alot of other people, that's why I posted the price per person so the reader can be the ultimate judge on price.

I recently ate at Masters Italian Restaurant in Miami Beach, and ate there again yesterday. So far I've had the

• The Sauteed Calamari Portobello (sauteed in garlic, white wine, & Italian herbs) 12.00
  • The Calamari with Angel Hair in Pink sauce $10.95
  • Combo Appetizer Platter with passable chicken fingers, passable mozzarella sticks, and out of this world Pizza bites

Both of the main courses (the first two list items) came with garlic rolls and a salad, and both had very ample servings. Both were far and away the best Italian food I've ever had in this price range, and excellent by the standards of any price range. The Sauteed Calamari Portobello had large slices pieces of portobello cooked just to my liking. The large pieces took a while to chew and the flavor was very rich. The pink sauce on the Calamari Angel food was the pretty balance of creamy and tomato-y.

Highly recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

Mykonos Greek Restaurant

1201 Coral Way

Miami, FL

Cuisine: Greek

Price: :?:

As I walked into the restaurant, I felt as I was in My Big Fat Greek Wedding and almost expected for Toula to come and take my order. This self-seating establishment has paintings of Greece all over the walls and traditional music playing off the speakers. We went during the lunchtime rush therefore it took sometime for someone to get to our table and take our order.

For an appetizer, we ordered the Dolmadakia which is grape leaves stuffed with rice & spices and lemon. The grape leaf is an acquired taste, but it is one of my favorites and I ate most of the serving since my "date" didn't care for the texture of it. For lunch, I ordered Pastitsio which is ground beef and macaroni with a cream topping. This dish came with rice pilaf and green beans. My "date" ordered the Mousaka which is ground beef, eggplant, potato & a cream topping. That dish came with the same rice and peas.

Delicious! Every morsel was as savory as the first and I cannot even begin to describe the flavors of the cream topping. Positively divine! If it weren't for the wait--we were there for approximately and hour and a half, hence returning to work late--I would've given this place 5 bananas...alas, it is an overall vote. Our server was very apologetic, but even the couple sitting next to us got up and left once they had been sitting there for over twenty minutes and hadn't even been acknowledged.

Even though the experience wasn't 100% perfect, I do plan on returning to this spot for another taste test--perhaps for dinner and when they are fully staffed. If not, they deliver! I will most definitely keep that menu in my desk at work!

Price per person with tip included: $15.00 and worth every last penny.

Overall experience :bananaman::bananaman::bananaman::bananaman:

Food :bananaman::bananaman::bananaman::bananaman::bananaman:

Service :bananaman::bananaman:

Atmosphere :bananaman::bananaman::bananaman::bananaman:

Value :bananaman::bananaman::bananaman::bananaman:

Jewel In The Crown

Ballsbridge

Dublin 4

Cuisine: Indian

Price: :?: :?:

Ok, i'm training in Dublin at the minute and have been kindly put up in a hotel by the company, one evening Nanno came up to stay and i wanted to eat out.

We were walking around Ballsbridge, and i'd spotted this place earlier, and had been craving a nice curry ever since!!! So me and Nanno went in, it was early, but there were another few people in there, this wasn't going to put me off.

We were shown to our seat and given the menus, one thing i noticed was the low prices, especially given the locality of this little restaurant.

Having looked at the menu, Nanno went for the Onion Bhaji to start, and i went with the Tandoori Mix Platter which came with Shisk Kebab, Tandoori Lamb & Chicken, and an Onion Baji. Also served with this was mint raita, which is a thin yoghurt which is minty, lovely!!!

We then finished these, and washed em down with a bottle of Wolf Blass Cabernet Savignon, a fantastic white Australian wine.

Our mains, then came out, Nanno going for the Chicken Tikka Main, which comes out sizzling on a bed of onions/peppers, and a side portion of curry sauce. I went for a Chicken Jalfrezi which is a medium/hot curry with fresh chillis sliced into it, and i had a special naan bread (onion garlic and coriander). We also shared a side of Bombay Aloo which is curried potatoes !! Delish.

What bugs me after living in England is the lack of decent indian restaurants in Ireland, but this place was beautiful, tasty, and very diverse. Unlike the ones in Navan here. This place has a sister restaurant in the City just off Wicklow St if anyone is interested.

All in all, i was very impressed, and for the two of us it cost E70 not including tip.

Overall :bananaman: :bananaman: :bananaman: :bananaman:

Food :bananaman: :bananaman: :bananaman: :bananaman: :bananaman:

Service :bananaman: :bananaman: :bananaman:

Atmosphere: :bananaman: :bananaman:

Value :bananaman: :bananaman: :bananaman: :bananaman: :bananaman:

• 1 month later...

Rococco @ Knightsbrook Hotel

Dublin Road

Trim Co Meath

Ireland

Me and Jan snook away for a night away there last week, just to get away from the house for a night, so we checked in, and had a nice Massage in the Spa, and for those men who chuckle, try one and then come back to me!

So we'd booked a table in the hotel restaurant, which is called Rococco, and its definitely a plush place.

We were promptly shown to our seats, and given menus, which had a standard Table D'Hote Menu, or Prestige Menu, the former was a 5 course for €48, and the latter was €65 for 5 courses.

The menu varied greatly between the two, we both opted for the Prestige. To drink we had a 2004 bottle of Chateau Nuef du Pape @ €58.50

For starters, Janice had Terrine of Clonakilty Black Pudding with Crispy Bacon, Poached Organic Egg, with Berrys, she enjoyed it, while i had the Irish Shellfish Boullabaise, a tomato based sea food soup. Both our starters went down well.

Then for mains, Janice went for the Iberian Roast Pork with a side order of Champ, while i went for the 16oz T Bone Steak, with a side of Sauteed Mushrooms. Janice's pork was delicious, if a little fatty, my steak was ok, was a little tougher than i expected, but nice and flavoursome all the same.

For desert, i opted for Ice Cream, while Janice went for the Ruby & Cream, which was a lovely desert which was kind of like cheesecake, but it had a centre of Raspberry in which flooded out when the piece was cut.

All in All lovely restaurant, great service, fine food, and excellent wine list

Total Cost Approx €190 + €20 tip because the service was really good.

Archived