Hondo's Bar

Do you listen to lyrics?

The NZA

When it comes to music...  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Been wondering, as i used to hate on yahven for saying he couldnt keep up with lyrics (in like, any genre) and LL drives me up a wall with her not even really trying to listen to them.

I understand, its ok in some genres - many rock songs are talking about nothing at all, especially modern ones. Hip-hop, as far as the radio goes, is much the same. However, some of it is lyrical poetry with some really powerful sentiment in the words, so im kinda wondering how many of you that'd be wasted on.

So?

For me it depends on my mood, and also the song/artist/genre itself...

For example, if im feeling in the mood and i want to get down make love, words don't really come into the equation, but if im in a sullen mood etc, words pick me up and what not...

That being said, two of my favorite bands, sigur ros and god is an astronaut, one sings in icelandic and the other is instrumental, but i dont care, its the music i go for...

i understand its situational (no talking about boinking music, goddammit); i dont get icelandic shit like them or Bjork in her native tongue any better than i do j-pop, so i know its melody and such there. im assuming were talking about "things you can understand" here, so uh, no bob dylan, for example.

Words are a handy way of getting across why the song came into being, but the work of instruments can do it too. And they can do it better.

Still...if a song has lyrics that's what I listen most for. The rest is something you can hear without needing to understand, but you can still appreciate it.

like others here it totally depends on the band/artist.

if i'm listening to metallica or jimi hendrix i'm listening for the music.

but if i'm listening to springsteen or dylan (fuck you nick) it's for the lyrics.

then there are the bands where it would be equal, the doors being a great example.

so i can't vote in this poll 'cos i do both.

• 2 weeks later...

you already know how i stand on this subject. for me, i think it might be because i've played an instrument for a while so i listen to chord progressions more closely b/c a good chord progression is like an eargasm. plus, i think i feel music more than lyrics. lyrics seem superficial whereas the music penetrates deeper. i usually experience the singing as just another instrument and listen to it more for syncopation, tone, and timbre than for the actual words.

which is fine, but dubbing lyrics "superficial" is why shit like laffy taffy banks, while lyrical poetry and depth - even with good prodution - lies by the wayside, and people complain about the current state of music.

i just cant follow; i love ivory keys and like, shit can really move me, but (again, my opinion): no man-made instrument's as powerful as one's voice.

Matrix had some of the finest techno/experimental stuf of that year, hands down. I wont argue that.

Good, you see, most of what i listen to these days is trance/drum n bass and classical which have no place for lyrics...

But if youre listening to, say, rage against the machine instrumentals, you make me weep.

Now thats just silly, while de la rocha sounds like he's whining that hip hop wouldn't accept him all the time, his voice works amazingly well with rage, and the music would be nothing without it, i can admit that.

It really does depend of the genre here for me. I mean with hip-hop, gonna be listening to the lyrics and the flow, as opposed to post-rock or jazz. Guess I've kinda cheated the question there, but I reckon it'll do

exactly, this is prolly what i get for asking a mostly rock/indie crowd about lyrics when the genre's not nearly as much about that as, say, hip hop. its why mainstream and crossover rap has absolute throwaway lyrics most often, with production engineered for short-term club play.

Im not asking if you like lyrics when you listen to instrumental shit like classical or jazz etc, im asking of the music you listen to that features lyrics, clearly, and that's not a stressed feature of most rock and genres of the like.

Come again?

There have been a number of us that have taken note.

When it comes to most music, I admit the music itself drives me more than the words ever did/do/will. Except when it comes to Tori. Tori moves me equally with her words and her music. And oh how beautiful her music is...

• 11 months later...

can't hear lyrics in most songs, if it's a lyrically focused genre.. such as acoustic stuff.. then yes i can follow it. it's all about flow, and of course the music distracts me from the lyrics

seems girls = lyrics, boys = music

agreed?

• 4 months later...

Archived