Hondo's Bar

GI-Joe Movie

GiJoeLogo1a.jpg

hello all. i have been reading up on the Gi joe movie in production. now, i have been a gi joe fan since pre-school. i had all the toys. so when i heard of a movie being made, i got excited. ufortunately that dream may be shattered. sources say Gi joe will be a UN peace-keeping force, which is kind of stupid, since Gi-Joe is an american term. anyway here are some of the people who have been casted.

movietitle8.jpgsucr.jpg

Channing Tatum as Duke

SNAKE_EYES~GI-Joe-Snake-Eyes-Posters.jpgSideMaulRayPark.jpg

Ray Parker as Snake Eyes

genhawk.JPG244.quaid.dennis.021407.jpg

Dennis Quaid as General Hawk

Cobra_Commander_colors.jpgjosephgl4.jpg

Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Cobra Commander.......WTF?????!!@!!!

destro01-large.jpgeccleston.jpg

Chris Eccleston as Destro.... in my opinion he would make a better cobra commander.

BARONESS.jpgsienna_miller1_300_400.jpg

Sienna Miller as Baroness

Actually, Joseph Gordon-Levitt isn't technically Cobra Commander. He's an former Joe named Rex who (rumor has it) goes bad and becomes Cobra. So yeah, still technically the commander of the Cobras, but not exactly Cobra Commander. Either way, I think that kid can play anything these days so that's the only bit of casting I'm actually excited about.

As for the rest:

Duke - Channing Tatum

Hawk - Dennis Quaid

Zartan - Arnold Vosloo

Snake Eyes - Ray Park

Scarlett - Rachel Nichols

Destro - Christopher Eccelston

Baroness - Siena Miller

Heavy Duty - Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje

Breaker - Said Taghmaoui

Storm Shadow - Byung-hun Lee

Ripcord - Marlon Wayans

Rex - Jospeh Gordon-Levitt

The President - Johnathan Pryce

And here's the official new logo:

gijoelogoclean.jpg

Who's idea was this?!

The free market's, I'm guessing. At least two thirds of summer blockbuster action movie grosses are made overseas. It makes perfect sense to make it an UN peace keeping force.

GIJoe is all America, just like Journey. I can see why you'd be upset when smelly foreigners infest the purity that is either a American cartoon global peacekeeping force, or the group responsible for Don't Stop Believin'.

'Sides, Marlon Wayans is gonna be in it. How could it possibly be bad?

wow, you try and stretch so much to make it seem I'm racist or xenophobic, and yet you STILL manage to come up short and look stupid.

AND I'm a Republican! this should be cake, Jax.

Are you loosing your touch?

No, the reason I'm having a problem with this is because Hollywood seems hellbent on changing the 'all american' icons of the past to make them more 'UN friendly'. They did it with Superman and they're doing it now to GI Joe.

The reason this is particularly stupid is because the very term GI Joe is specifically American. We're not making SAS Chinese, nor are we making surrender British. there's no reason at all to make GI Joe a stupid UN taskforce.

besides, if they're going for reality here, the Joe's are going to be sitting down watching genocides and not actually responding. That or getting shot at without the authority to shoot back. Either way, movie's gonna suck.

I addressed exactly why I thought they made the change, a sizable majority of big budget summer action movie grosses are made overseas. Didn't used to be that way, but now it is. So is it a liberal conspiracy my the DNC and Code Pink and the New York Times to undermine American nationalism? No, is was most certainly a business decision, and a smart one at that. It's a product being marketed in a global marketplace.

I made the Journey analogy because you had no problem identifying ignorant xenophobic douchebaggery when it was about a talented qualified Filipino singer joining an all-American band, so I was hoping you could see the clear similarities between what they were saying and what's being said here.

Also, it's a fictional movie. An effective UN peacekeeping force that address global threats in a timely and effective manner is no more outlandish than talking lions or octopus faced pirates.

although i do agree the whole UN idea is a stupid idea. i dont think it has to do with being anti-american. i think, since pretty much the whole GI-JOE team is so diverse. they figure they might as well make Gi-joe under a more "globalized" view. but, still they might as well change the name of it then. also, we need to take into consideration of how much smaller the world is now compared to how it was in the eighties. if there was anything we learned in the last 7 years, is how closely connected every country is to one another. we sneeze, they cough or vice versa. this day in age, its a global community we live in not just an american. and as pathetic as it sounds the real UN still hasn't realized that yet.

the two are incongruent, Jax, because GI Joe is specifically American even in it's title. It isn't some 'code pink' or whatever nonsense you said.

It's this continual erosion of getting something specifically american and making it 'international' or stripping it of it's american identity to make it more approachable. Yes, it's a business decision and one they're free to make. And I, as a consumer, am free to criticise the move as much as I want.

Doesn't make any less free market, bucko.

Also, it's a fictional movie. An effective UN peacekeeping force that address global threats in a timely and effective manner is no more outlandish than talking lions or octopus faced pirates.

True, but lions are still lions and pirates are still pirates, octopus faces or no. If you want to make it an effective UN Task Force, then name it as such. Don't name it GI Joe because it ISN'T GI Joe.

there's nothing government issued about 'em, and they're no longer 'Joe's' either.

Who gives a shit? It's gonna be a cookie cutter action movie based on a cheaply produced campy eighties cartoon. The only value of having the rights to the name GI Joe is nostalgia factor for a key age demographic. It's not like they paid for the rights to GI Joe for the wealth of great story lines and unique well developed multi dimensional characters. Who cares if they're butchering garbage? Cry me a fucking river.

It's the integrity.

Lookit: Captain Planet was as much an environmentalist propaganda as GI Joe was an anti-communist hawkish one. But they made no bones or pretenses about either one.

If they tried to make a new Captain Planet sponsored by OPEC and Halliburton in which Captain Planet saves oil rigs and DuPont from the evil Green Peace, then I'd be just as upset as at that as I am at this travesty.

If they tried to make a new Captain Planet sponsored by OPEC and Halliburton in which Captain Planet saves oil rigs and DuPont from the evil Green Peace, then I'd be just as upset as at that as I am at this travesty.

Firstly, horseshit. You'd be rolling on the ground laughing your ass off.

Secondly, Ted Turner is already working on a Captain Planet project

• 3 weeks later...
Firstly, horseshit. You'd be rolling on the ground laughing your ass off.

Yes, I'd laugh, mostly because I'd think 'there's Glenn Beck at it again'.

but if it were serious? I'd be annoyed. I have fond memories of Captain Planet, and while it is pure propaganda, I liked it for what it was and still like it for what it was. It would be disgraceful.

That, and lets keep to our own arguments, shall we? You bungle yours enough as it is, no need to bungle mine, too.

Secondly, Ted Turner is already working on a Captain Planet project

Ted Turner working on liberal propaganda?

Lies!

The free market's, I'm guessing. At least two thirds of summer blockbuster action movie grosses are made overseas. It makes perfect sense to make it an UN peace keeping force.

i doubt that making it international is really gonna change the sales that much,

i had gi joe's when i was a kid, i watched the turtles, spider-man, batman, gargoyles, i did'nt care where it was set.

if it was good it was good. (actually it being set in the u.s. made it more exotic)

anyway gi joe, like transformers will appeal to twenty something guys who grew up with it and kids:

kids could'nt give a fuck and nostalgic adults want nothing changed

i doubt that making it international is really gonna change the sales that much,

i had gi joe's when i was a kid, i watched the turtles, spider-man, batman, gargoyles, i did'nt care where it was set.

if it was good it was good. (actually it being set in the u.s. made it more exotic)

Well they were always an elite fighting force of American Soldiers with a bunch of soldiers from different countries with different specialties that were with them so this kind of makes a bit more sense.

Archived