Hondo's Bar

In Bruges

in_bruges.jpg

Don't know if anybody's seen this yet but I caught it tonight. In lieu of doing another one, I'll just post the review I'm turning into the school paper tomorrow. I know this is cleaner and more legible than you're used to from me, so to ease the transition a little: fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fucking, fucker, assballs, doucherocket, cuntface, BITCH!

“In Bruges”

Hiding out in the town of Bruges, Belgium a hitman deals with the emotional baggage of a job gone horribly wrong in a city he hates with a fellow colleague who assisted him on his last job.

Giving a good summary of In Bruges is almost as difficult as pronouncing the title of the movie. It’s a hybrid of classic film noir style storytelling with offensive and dark comedy in much the same tradition as The Whole Nine Yards, Snatch, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, and The Matador.

Colin Farrell does a wonderful job as Ray the protagonist of the film. He truly shows his acting clout by being both the saddest and funniest character in the film, switching seamlessly between being offensively hilarious and tearfully sorrowful.

Farrell’s performance echoes the tone of the film, it switches so easily between comedy and drama that often times you are unable to determine where one ended and the other began.

In Bruges has a wonderful ensemble cast of interesting characters, all of whom seem to have their own unique downfall but still manage to be likeable in one manner or another.

Noir is a genre famous for having films where not one character can be called “good”, this movie takes this a step further in that none of the characters can be called “bad” either. Even the villain of the film is an interesting and honorable man bound more by a sense of duty and justice than unsavory motives.

With a great cast, interesting and loveable characters, an unapologetically offensive sense of humor that you can’t help laughing at, beautiful sets in the actual city of Bruge, heartbreaking drama, excitement, violence, and a sorrowful and haunting score in Bruges is likely to be one of the best films released this year.

This looks like its going to be a good one, can we get the uncensored Baytor review, we've been cheated, and got Baytor Lite up there!

Well it had to go in a publication and most people tend to be offended when I use fuck five times per sentence.

Basically Brendan Gleeson and Ralph Fiennes kick ass as always. If you liked Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and/or The Ice Harvest you should really enjoy this. Colin Farrell, who is in my eyes incompetent bastard of an actor, gives the best performance of his entire career thus far and probably from here on.

The humor is so beautifully offensive that I laughed nearly the whole time. Pretty much every single line out of Farrell's mouth is a good reason to give the movie an R rating on those merits alone. There's some other good humor from Fiennes and Gleeson but really nothing tops Farrell's scenes including a play on the classic noir "That gun is filled with blanks" scene, actually how if someone was fucking stupid enough to actually do that what you could easily fuck them up.

However, since it's noir it's dreary it's depressing (which is the most impressive thing of the entire movie as it flips back and forth without a moment's notice and it works every time) and there are some very well done gore effects done at certain points in the film.

Also in true noir fashion every character is flawed. The two main characters are Hitmen who are pondering the meaning of it all and where they stand in the universe, the love interest (who I have mad animalistic lust for though I don't know who she is) who is selling hard drugs to the film crew, a racist midget on horse tranquilizers, and the hitmen's boss who is a very moral and upstanding guy for being a crime boss and a complete cunt.

All in all if this movie is playing nearby and you don't go see it you deserve to have your crotch devoured by angry fire ants. This film had better get an Oscar nomination or I firmly plan to go to the home every single person on the academy and kick them in the balls (if they are a woman I will get them elective surgery and then kick them in the balls)

So to summarize WATCH IN BRUGES!

DJ and I got to see this (finally) last night. On a lark, I decided to hit up Fandango to see if there was a theater in the entire state that was playing this movie, since previous attempts to search had come up empty. Alas, Winter Park Village's Regal cinema had it. And I have to agree, it was a brilliant movie. Collin Farrell should only play quirky irishmen tiptoeing the edge of sanity and sarcasm for the rest of his career.

On a slightly related note, the quote Baytor placed in the subtitle of this thread should be "Two MANKY Hookers and a racist midget." Because the scene couldn't have gotten any funnier even if the hookers were really monkeys.

Oh dear god. Ha! Just imagine if someone in the theater fucked up the movie reels...

I mean, come on... Imagine it. Larry the Cucumber replaced by Jimmy the coked-up racist midget having his head blown off?

Hilarity! Oh, I'd almost pay someone to do it.

Oh dear god. Ha! Just imagine if someone in the theater fucked up the movie reels...

I mean, come on... Imagine it. Larry the Cucumber replaced by Jimmy the coked-up racist midget having his head blown off?

Hilarity! Oh, I'd almost pay someone to do it.

I imagine it would have to be enough to cover the cost of a class-action lawsuit.

• 2 weeks later...
Went to see this tonight, all in all i thought it was average at best, though the banter between Colin Farrell and Gleeson was superb, and Ray Fiennes stole the show totally.

I'd giveit 6/10

should've waited for DVD

You think everything is average! I bite my thumb at you, good sir!

Do you bite your thumb?

Went to see this tonight, all in all i thought it was average at best, though the banter between Colin Farrell and Gleeson was superb, and Ray Fiennes stole the show totally.

I'd giveit 6/10

Farrell and Gleeson's banter and Ralph Fienes make up at least 80% of the movie so it should be 8/10, to be fair :D

i felt a little funky about this movie. i think it felt like they were going for noir comedy (a la kiss kiss bang bang) but the comedy was too comedic for the noir and the noir was too dark for the comedy so the mood felt a little schizophrenic to me. the acting was very good though. i think if they would have either toned down the noir or toned down the comedic elements, it would have resulted in a more even movie.

Archived