Hondo's Bar

Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea

The NZA

• 5 months later...
Walt Disney Pictures has announced that Ponyo, the latest film from Academy Award-winning director Hayao Miyazaki (Spirited Away, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, My Neighbor Totoro), will open in American theaters on August 14. The story follows an ordinary boy named Sosuke (Frankie Jonas) and his friendship with Ponyo (Noah Cyrus), a goldfish who wishes to be human. The other castmembers include Cate Blanchett, Matt Damon, Tina Fey, Cloris Leachman, Liam Neeson, Lily Tomlin, and Betty White.

Ponyo is the English release name for Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea, which Studio Ghibli and TOHO released in Japan on July 19 of last year. It became Japan's highest grossing film of 2009. Kathleen Kennedy, Frank Marshall, and Steve Alpert are producing the English-language dub, while Miyazaki himself and John Lasseter (Pixar's Toy Story, Cars) are executive producers.

Oh nice. I can't wait to see this. Spirited Away is one of my favorite movies and I've always had a soft spot for Howl's Moving Castle.

It's sad as an anime fan, but I've yet to see Howl's Moving Castle. I love Mononoki, Totoro, & Spirited Away, but Miyazaki's other stuff is kinda meh for me. I get that "meh" feeling when I watch the trailer for Ponyo.

However, according to aicn.com, new Disney muckity-muck John Lassester (he got the "muckity-muck" title when Disney bought Pixar) Ponyo is going to get better ad/distribution treatment for the theatrical release than Miyazaki's previous films. So hopefully it'll make its way to a theater near you.

It's sad as an anime fan, but I've yet to see Howl's Moving Castle. I love Mononoki, Totoro, & Spirited Away, but Miyazaki's other stuff is kinda meh for me. I get that "meh" feeling when I watch the trailer for Ponyo.

However, according to aicn.com, new Disney muckity-muck John Lassester (he got the "muckity-muck" title when Disney bought Pixar) Ponyo is going to get better ad/distribution treatment for the theatrical release than Miyazaki's previous films. So hopefully it'll make its way to a theater near you.

Hopefully Disney will get off their asses and release "Only Yesterday" and "Ocean Waves" I think other than Earthsea those are the only Ghibli films we haven't gotten. Only Yesterday has even been shown in IFC or TCM or one of the cable channels, but no release. Grr.

I know that they say it's because there are some more mature references in these ones, but goddamn, if Disney can have no issues with Magical giant racoon testes, then these should be fine.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
It's in theaters now here... AMC Grapevine mills is showing it. Sooooo YOU SHOULD COME UP FOR A VISIT AND A MOVIE JA?

edit- AMC will be showing it at midnight. Ponyo gets it's US release tomorrow! <3

Saw this recently and felt it was kinda meh, paint by numbers Ghibli so to speak. I mean it was not bad by any stretch, and still left me with a big grin on my face in a lot of scenes, but while I think previous Miyazaki films could be enjoyed by a wider audience, this one is very much a kids' movie, but without the subtlety that lets adults dig it too. Or at least as much as say Totoro and Kiki's.

Saw this recently and felt it was kinda meh, paint by numbers Ghibli so to speak. I mean it was not bad by any stretch, and still left me with a big grin on my face in a lot of scenes, but while I think previous Miyazaki films could be enjoyed by a wider audience, this one is very much a kids' movie, but without the subtlety that lets adults dig it too. Or at least as much as say Totoro and Kiki's.

Yeah, I agree with your words. <3

• 1 month later...

Really? I thought that what made Ponyo stand out was the depth of the interactions between the regular people in the more "real" world. The relationship between the boy and his mother is something I don't feel like I've seen in his other films. The scene where she's frustrated at their father and the kid cheers her up damn near made me cry. The rest of it's tone and it's lack of any serious danger or conflict does put it in a similar category as Totoro, but it was very refreshing to see most of this play out in plain old modern day japan and see most of the conflict be the average, subtle conflict of a regular family.

Archived