Hondo's Bar

Akira 2011

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from cbr

Warner Brothers Pictures is betting on the directing team that have made "The Book of Eli" a slow-stalking box office hit to bring one of the biggest manga and anime phenomenons of the past 30 years to live action: Katsuhiro Otomo's "Akira." The news comes via a report on regular nerd movie-scooping Deadline Hollywood which holds that the studio has tapped Allen and Albert Hughes – commonly called The Hughes Bros – to take up the reigns on a two-movie adaptation of the iconic Japanese cyberpunk tale after "Eli" brought in over $80 million since opening last month.

According to first-on-the-scene Deadline Hollywood, "The story takes place in the rebuilt New Manhattan where a leader of a biker gang saves his friend from a medical experiment." This project has been brewing for sometime. "Book of Eli" writer Gary Whitta has written a draft of the script that the Hughes Brothers will presumable work from. I've already seen people taking pause at this news or invoking the fear of American Godzilla, but I'm willing to give it a chance because "Book of Eli" was of surprising quality from the same people steering this project.

holy shit tim, welcome to the manga forum circa 2001, haha. yes though, that's why this'd be a series, as i understood it...and still not a fantastic idea, but again, i was wrong about watchmen.

Watchmen wasn't a Foreign film/book. So I have very little hope in Hollywood getting the movie done right.

true, but between Moore's layered writing/characters/symbolism of the era and Otomo's amazing attention to detail, fantastic sci-fi/cyberpunk feel...im not sure which'd be harder to capture. Watchmen makes me think a lot more can be done than i give credit for, but then that only applies to that set experience - you could just as easily point to, say, The Spirit and scare me right out of this idea.

true, but between Moore's layered writing/characters/symbolism of the era and Otomo's amazing attention to detail, fantastic sci-fi/cyberpunk feel...im not sure which'd be harder to capture. Watchmen makes me think a lot more can be done than i give credit for, but then that only applies to that set experience - you could just as easily point to, say, The Spirit and scare me right out of this idea.

They should take a look at blade runner and use that as template for New Manhattan before the Akira affect. A ruin city has been done before so That won't be a problem. I just want to wait and see what are they going to change/dumb down/cut out from the books for the movie.

yeah, that's a good idea. is this still supposed to be 2-3 movies, then? if so, we'd have that city for at least the whole first one.

I recall it was 2 movies and that each installment will encompass three volumes.

New Manhattan will be gone at the end of the first movie along with Kaneda.

Edited by Newtype

• 4 months later...
Director Albert Hughes(of the Hughes Bros) confirms that he and his bro will be helming the picture and revealed some more details during an interview on a BDK Reviews podcast. I doubt anyone is going to like what he had to say...

During the podcast, Hughes revealed the following. Its most likely that we will be getting a PG13 Akira. When asked about it being an R, he at first said

”You would think,”,

But then revealed that WB want them to bring it in at a much safer(and more financially beneficial)PG13.

“The first thing they said to me was it had to be PG-13,”

Great. But it gets even worse. Hughes said of the highly complex plot.

“I want to simplify everything for the audience.”.

And get this, Hughes says that contrary to what we have heard, the films will not be shot back to back and the dude isn't even sure he will stick around for the second movie!

“I’m not into sequels, I don’t even know if I wanna be around for the sequel. I’m just focusing on the first movie.”.

itswrong100.gif

crying-baby-giant-eyes.jpg

ts%20finger.JPG

:FHD:

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
In what is possibly the best comics-to-film news we'll report this year, the live-action American adaptation of AKIRA that pretty much everyone agreed was a terrible idea has apparently been shelved. Director Albert Hughes walked away from the project in May, shortly after George Takei popularized bitter fan sentiment about controversial casting rumors

0e4799c3f6813e01c88d9e3dacb8a283_BCrainbows1231.gif

• Upvote 2